Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st batch primary vs secondary advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
paradoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1st batch primary vs secondary advice

Greetings!

My first batch, an IPA extract kit, is about 10 days into primary fermentation. The krausen has died back a bit, but still getting frequent bubbling from the airlock. The recipe calls for adding dry hops and oak to the secondary fermentation. Problem is... I'm leaving for spring break for 10days tomorrow. So... can I just add the dry hops and the oak to the primary fermentation and let it continue to ferment while I'm gone? Or, should I transfer it to a secondary even though it is still fermenting?

Thanks!
Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoc View Post
So... can I just add the dry hops and the oak to the primary fermentation and let it continue to ferment while I'm gone?
Yes.

Read this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...8/#post1204663

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
paradoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick response, and link to the this vs that posts. Not to be dense, but to clarify...

1) Am I likely to get off-flavors from it sitting in the primary for 20 days total?

2) Will adding the additional hops and oak before primary fermentation is completed cause any problems with the fermentation?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

1) No. The only risk from your beer sitting on a yeast cake for extended lengths of time is autolysis, and that's not even a concern unless your primary is longer than two months.

2) It shouldn't cause any problems with the fermentation, but I think you'd get more hop/oak flavor if you waited until after fermentation was complete. I've been told that oaking works best if you do rack to secondary, but I haven't tried it myself. I've only oaked one batch, and I did it in primary. Came out tasty as all get out.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

1) Am I likely to get off-flavors from it sitting in the primary for 20 days total?

Not at all.

2) Will adding the additional hops and oak before primary fermentation is completed cause any problems with the fermentation?

No problems.

Quick Reply