Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st batch ever - fermentation stuck!!!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
jasolhe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 1st batch ever - fermentation stuck!!!?

Brewers Best India pale ale
24 hours after adding yeast no bubbles in Airlock thingy.
Temperature reading on pale 64 degrees
Stirred heavily and moved to slightly warmer area i think

Anything else i can do?

I bought the kit and left contents in room temp for 3 months - delayed project. Yeast packet shouldn't be compromised? Realize i should have refigerated the hops. Yeast?

Wart was 70 degrees when added yeast. Just sprinkled on like instructions said and stirred a lot - didn't liquid prep the yeast beforehand as it seemed unneccesary in this kit...

Ideas? Is my batch junk? Help please for a newbie in first time effort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2533 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 5708

Your yeast is not nearly as viable as it was when you bought the kit, but I would say it will still make beer. The reason for the long lag time is that the yeast need to propagate by consuming the oxygen in the wort then when the oxygen is gone it will start working on the fermentable sugars. The less viable the yeast the longer this process will take. Your batch isn't ruined and you definitely don't have a stuck sparge. It can't be stuck if it hasn't started right? Bubbles in the airlock aren't an indication of fermentation, but if you don't see bubbles within the next two days it may be an indication of yeast that was degraded to the point it couldn't ferment the wort. In that case, I would recommend simply repitching with fresh yeast.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
jasolhe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks for quick response

I'll wait to the 72 hour mark, and check beforehand for bubbles - if no bubbles in airlock, i'll open the cap and check for foam and maybe even get another hydrometer reading. If that reading hasn't changed i'll re-pitch like you said.

Does that just mean buy another yeast packet (fresh) and pour it in?

wasn't expecting this reaction on the first go-round! good things don't come easy eh?

-should have mentioned that i broke my hydrometer while sanitizing - stupid I'm so cautious i can't believe i did that, anyway bought one next day and got my initial reading after 12 hours in fermenter - hopefully i didn't add too much water - did like the kit said (without guidance of the initial reading while adding water of course).

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasolhe View Post
thanks for quick response

I'll wait to the 72 hour mark, and check beforehand for bubbles - if no bubbles in airlock, i'll open the cap and check for foam and maybe even get another hydrometer reading. If that reading hasn't changed i'll re-pitch like you said.

Does that just mean buy another yeast packet (fresh) and pour it in?

wasn't expecting this reaction on the first go-round! good things don't come easy eh?

-should have mentioned that i broke my hydrometer while sanitizing - stupid I'm so cautious i can't believe i did that, anyway bought one next day and got my initial reading after 12 hours in fermenter - hopefully i didn't add too much water - did like the kit said (without guidance of the initial reading while adding water of course).
Yeah, to repitch just means to add more yeast. I'm sure your beer will be fine if not exactly what you were expecting.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
patjofo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a few weeks ago with a bb ipa kit. Took about 2 days for an active fermentation to get going. I wouldn't worry too much, it should get kicking soon.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
jasolhe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This site rocks - all beer drinkers are up late - happy to help - tomorrow night we shall see!

My goal is to become self dependent on all things.
Step 1 = beer. Never having to buy beer again, making my own, no taking cans to the redemption center, freedom!

Step 99 = Solar power and Geothermal Heating and Cooling lol

Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasolhe View Post
This site rocks - all beer drinkers are up late - happy to help - tomorrow night we shall see!

My goal is to become self dependent on all things.
Step 1 = beer. Never having to buy beer again, making my own, no taking cans to the redemption center, freedom!

Step 99 = Solar power and Geothermal Heating and Cooling lol
At the time of your posting it was 12:18 am where you are and that is simply not that late. Two nights ago I was up til 430 just drinking beer and hanging out on HBT.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
jasolhe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

dang mang and i thought my usual 2am bedtime was late!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
jasolhe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stirring after 24 hours and Moving Fermenter upstairs (temp went from 64 to 67) helped. Awoke to airlock bubble every 15 seconds.
What I question is whether or not any action was really needed. Next kit I get I guess will answer that.

**Do I have the differences between single and dual stage down? 2 stage basically adds 2 weeks to the process right?

**Also seems to be debate on 2 stage fermentation, many experts say its pointless (more work & more potential for the yeast to not have enough CO2 to finish its final cleanup stages in the secondary thus reducing quality of beer) unless you are doing an actual secondary fermentation or dry hopping/etc, but then again some still recommend it to get better beer taste as it filters out sediment better

Single Fermenter (ignoring this instructions maybe)
Within 4 - 6 days the bubbling will slow down until you see no more CO2 being released. When fermentation is complete (no bubbles for 48 hours), then prime mixture/bottle and leave 2 weeks to carbonate before drinking

2 Fermenters (following this maybe)
When the fermentation slows in Primary (5-7 days), but BEFORE it completes, simply transfer the beer into the carboy (add dry hops here is wanted) and allow fermentation to finish in the ‘secondary’. Leave the beer for about two weeks, then proceed to Bottling Day. Prime mixture, bottle, let sit another 2 weeks to let carbonation occur

Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
jasolhe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/88/if-when-to-move-to-secondary-fermentation

-read all the arguments here and i really don't know which way to go at this point

i don't care about cosmetics of the beer as it will go in a brown bottle and drank that way, if i dry hop then i guess its 2 stage cause i have no choice

Quick Reply