Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st batch blues...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
nebben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Your beer will be better as 4G , instead of as 5G with 1G water added later on after fermentation has already started. You will be happy about the end result Make another batch of 5G next time, and it'll be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
mattymel
Recipes 

good to know. im trying to stay cool about this as my tendency is to assume the worst. finally found a stash of pliny the elder. bout to do a little research.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #13
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3152 Times on 1967 Posts
Likes Given: 2664

I add water all the time. No biggie. Just boil on the stove for a minute and throw it in there.

I intentionally make slightly bigger beers, get the krausen out of the way, then add water to get the carboy full.

Oxyclean for carboys. one scoop and add water. Give it a few days (a week is perfect) and hose it out.

Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Home Brew!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3152 Times on 1967 Posts
Likes Given: 2664

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
Your beer will be better as 4G , instead of as 5G with 1G water added later on after fermentation has already started.
If your OG was 20% too high due to excessive boiloff, I would definitely add water. It won't be hopped right and it will not be what you intended otherwise. If you don't know what your OG was, or it is where it is supposed to be, don't add water.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
mattymel
Recipes 

this is rare for me, but pliny the elder lives up to the hype. dang! thats a tasty beverage!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
mattymel
Recipes 

well... paranoia set in again. this time reading my book. i remember stirring (on the rigorous side) the wort during the cooling stage trying to speed up the process. now i fear that i may have oxidized it. i remember thinking, "oxygen after boiling is good because the boiling releases all the oxygen which the yeast needs". now i read and it says this step happens AFTER you have cooled it down to pitching temperature.

so my question is this...how do i know if it got oxidized? on day 7 of fermentation and it has pretty much finally stopped bubbling. once every 8 seconds or so. is there any visible way to tell? is this batch cashed?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymel View Post
well... paranoia set in again. this time reading my book. i remember stirring (on the rigorous side) the wort during the cooling stage trying to speed up the process. now i fear that i may have oxidized it. i remember thinking, "oxygen after boiling is good because the boiling releases all the oxygen which the yeast needs". now i read and it says this step happens AFTER you have cooled it down to pitching temperature.

so my question is this...how do i know if it got oxidized? on day 7 of fermentation and it has pretty much finally stopped bubbling. once every 8 seconds or so. is there any visible way to tell? is this batch cashed?

It'll be fine. There used to be worries about hot-side aeration (getting air into the wort while it's still hot), but that turns out to be a very overblown concern.

I've seen videos of Sierra Nevada running off their mash liquor. It drops several feet in a waterfall, while hot, and they don't seem to have HSA or oxidation problems. Jump to the 5:25 mark of this vid:
and see if the professional brewers at Allagash seem too worried about it.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
mattymel
Recipes 

im back, baby!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
It'll be fine. There used to be worries about hot-side aeration (getting air into the wort while it's still hot), but that turns out to be a very overblown concern.
That's good to know. I thought it could still be a problem - I actually thought at least one time that HSA was the culprit for a taste I had with my beer... maybe not then.

Quick Reply