Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st attempt at recipe help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Altwein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 1st attempt at recipe help?

Im trying to clone a beer my Dad had over in England while visiting my sister last month... Its called Fullers Brewers Reserve and I can not find any recipes online, I do know it is basically a strong ale, so this is what I have come up with thus far. What should I do differently?
Thanks in advance

9.9lb Muntons Maris Otter LME
1lb 20L crystal malt
1lb 80L crystal malt, smoked
2oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1lb brown sugar
1oz Target
1oz Challenger
1oz Northdown
Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just from a quick search, it looks like they age it in French oak-barrels (Armagnac, to be exact). You may want to consider a good secondary on oak chips/spirals. Without ever having it, can't really comment on flavor profile, etc.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

That is quite a bit of crystal, I'm concerned this might be very sweet. I'm not sure whether the brown sugar is appropriate here either, I would personally lean more toward using more extract. The Fuller's version appears to be aged in cognac casks, so much of the flavor is imparted through the time spent aging on the wood.

Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Altwein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So maybe take away the 1lb of 20L crystal and the brown sugar and add 3.3lbs of Munstons LME

13.2lbs Munstons LME
8oz 50L crystal malt
8oz 20L crystal malt
2oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1tsp irish moss

Maybe Ill just do the Fullers London Pride, I found a recipe for that...or just do a traditional strong ale... I don't think I can find cognac casks anywhere around here..lol

Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

That would probably get you closer to what you want. I just realized that you have smoked malt listed - is that something you'll be doing on your own. Smoked malt goes a long way, 1lb might turn your beer into something VERY smoky flavored. Take a look through the smoked beer recipes on this site and check out how much smoked malt they use and what the ultimate flavor profile is. That should give you some indication of what quantities you would take away from it. In my opinion, smoked malt is out of place in a strong english ale.

Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat

Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 131

based on other Fullers recipes I'd use 1 lb. crystal 50-60, but not knowing SRM it's hard to pin down how much chocolate to use. I assume it's a darker ale?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Altwein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoat View Post
That would probably get you closer to what you want. I just realized that you have smoked malt listed - is that something you'll be doing on your own. Smoked malt goes a long way, 1lb might turn your beer into something VERY smoky flavored. Take a look through the smoked beer recipes on this site and check out how much smoked malt they use and what the ultimate flavor profile is. That should give you some indication of what quantities you would take away from it. In my opinion, smoked malt is out of place in a strong english ale.
Thank you... Im starting to shy away from smoking the malt I may just do a Secondary with the oak chips or spirals mentioned above by waldzinator.... and may even go 40L on the crystal

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Altwein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alane1 View Post
based on other Fullers recipes I'd use 1 lb. crystal 50-60, but not knowing SRM it's hard to pin down how much chocolate to use. I assume it's a darker ale?
Not sure, My Dad thinks it was a really deep golden color but he was starting to get Sloshed at that point and can't really remember...haha I was even thinking of going to a 20L-40L because I already have 14oz of 20L and 2oz chocolate left over from another brew....

Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I read the title as "help - I need advice for how to respond to 'need help on first recipe' posts."

London pride or something similar might be a good base recipe. According to the old "can you brew it" post, London pride, fullers ESB, and 1 or 2 other beers are the same recipe. They brew partygyle style, separate the runnings, and blend the wort to get the right consistency before the boil.

You don't have to do that, but if you know the properties of fullers reserve, you can probably finagle with your output. For instance, as a strong, you may be good with using your first runnings. You could also add wood (cues/spirals) to primary or secondary based on your feel for their process.

Lastly, you can try to email the folks at fullers and see if they will give you any tips. They may not respond, but it won't take too long to send an email. Just make sure to plug your passion for the beer and how much your dad enjoyed it.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Altwein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is where Im at:

13.2lbs Munstons Maris Otter LME
8oz 50L crystal malt
8oz 20L crystal malt
1oz chocolate malt