Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st All-Grain - Disaster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Davka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st All-Grain - Disaster?

Urk. Yesterday I brewed my first all-grain beer, and I was all proud of how my home-made mash/lauter tin worked and marveling at how wonderful it smelled, and after I finished the boil and cooled the wort and poured it into the fermenter, I noticed something strange in the bottom of my brewing pot.

Little shards of glass and chunks of iron. The bottom of my floating thermometer had broken at some point during the process, and I hadn't noticed.

The glass I know will sink to the bottom of the fermenter, and if I'm willing to lose the last gallon or so, it should be safe to rack. But what about the iron bits? I'm sure there are a few tiny fragments of iron that got into the fermenter as well. Are they going to destroy the beer? Should I just pour out the whole batch and chalk it up to experience? Or is it safe to allow it to ferment, as long as I'm careful with the racking?

The part of the thermometer that holds the mercury was still intact, btw.

Anyone know what to do? I hate to lose all the work and care that went into this batch, but I don't want anyone getting sick either.

Oh, and it took much longer than usual to start bubbling, and is proceeding slower than usual as well.

Have I ruined this batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

ME: let it ferment out, then pour through a paint strainer before bottling and call it good. Yes, it will oxygenate it (not too good). Whatever. I am not going to chuck a first AG EVER! But I am a bit loose on the whole sensitive thing.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

What I would do is let it ferment, rack to a clear secondary and leave an inch or two of beer at the bottom of the primary (so hopefully nothing gets sucked up, yes you will waste some beer, but oh well) and leave it in the secondary only for a day or so, so you can physically see if there is anything still in it, then bottle/keg.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
TheCapn22
Recipes 

I personally would dump it. Just not worth the risk of picking up a random glass shard on accident. Can't imagine it would be too fun digesting that.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Mercury poisoning?

Actually, do modern thermometers use mercury?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
VegasBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Is the mercury still intact? If not, is the small amount enough to dump it?

VB

EDIT: duh...read the post....i am dumb....carry on.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

everything that has broken off into the beer will sink to the bottom. I would NOT dump it, if it were mine. Racking off the top after fermentation and leaving an inch or two at the bottom should allow you to be pretty safe that everything broken off would not be in the beer.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
twheelz
Recipes 

I'm on the fence with this one. I personally think if I were in your shoes, I would dump it and start over. Take a mulligan, so to speak. It's easier said than done, though - I haven't been in that position! You'll probably be fine with keeping the 1-2 inches at racking time but is it really worth the gamble? Glass is no joke going down the hatch... It's really your call - you've seen both sides here.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did the same thing last night with my first all-grain batch. Luckily I autosiphoned it from the stock pot to my fermenting vessel, so all of the beads stayed at the bottom.

My advice for you and my next time: buy a better thermometer.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to the paint strainer. Anything that gets past it would be way too small to do any harm. As for the mercury issue, I believe it isn't being used all that much anymore. If you just recently bought it, go back and find another one exactlly the same and see if it used mercury or not. Also, this is one of the reasons I use metal thermometers, and don't leave ANYTHING in the tun while I'm brewing.

Quick Reply