*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st All grain batch. I have question on the water to grain calculation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 1st All grain batch. I have question on the water to grain calculation

When calculating the amount of water needed I include the malt with the grain in that calculation? Is that correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes all grains account for your total grain bill when figuring up your water. 1.25qts/lb seems the consensus on here. Also bookmark this site to help you out:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can scrape up the change, Beer Smith is worth every penny. It takes alot of math out of the process. Granted, doing your own calculations allows for more 'personality' in each batch.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I do my own calculations every time. I start with 1.5 qt/lb and then calculate what volume my first runnings will be. Then, I try to make the sparge volume equal the first running volume which usually requires me to add a little more water to the strike volume. Yesterday with a 4 gal batch and 8.5ish pounds of grain, I initially calculated a strike volume of 3.14 gal's and a first running of 2 gal's and then the sparge would have been 4 gals. So I added another gallon to the strike to get 4.14 gals and 3 gal's of first runnings and then 3 gal's of sparge.

By doing the calc's yourself you have a lot more control over what you want to do, and I think it is more fun to be more involved in the process

Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 994 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Coypoo's method is pretty much what I do when I batch sparge.

I'm a little confused why you mean by "malt" and "grain". I assume you're differentiating base malts from specialty/caramalts but for the most part, all of it is "the grain bill" and goes into the mash. You're not talking about liquid or powdered malt extract right?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_city_ap View Post
If you can scrape up the change, Beer Smith is worth every penny. It takes alot of math out of the process. Granted, doing your own calculations allows for more 'personality' in each batch.
You can usually download a demo to try it out before hand. I find that I'm just too impatient to figure these programs out so I go with 1.5 qt/lb. I find it's better to have a bit too much water.

Have fun, there is nothing like the AG process and no matter what happens (like not having enough sparge water - that happened to me on my first AG brew) you will more than likely end up with great beer.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I LOVE all grain. Long story short, I recently thought about picking up an extract kit rather than waiting for an AG order to get shipped to me. Just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not that I didn't get good beer out of extacts in the past, but I enjoy the process SOO much more.

Also, as a quick test, I ran copypoo's grain bill through BS and it spit back a strike vol of 2.6gal and sparge vol. of 4.6gal Slightly off from the math version, but not by all that much. I like the sound of what the math version would give for the same batch. Maybe I'll just make a .6 gallon adjustment in the future.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the advice. I think my first AG brew went pretty well. I had 20 lb's of grain which worked out to 8 gallons of water. I had enough grain and enough water left over that I decided to see if I could get a second batch (obviously much weaker) out of what was left over. If it turns out I'm going to name it "Sloppy Seconds".

Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
If it turns out I'm going to name it "Sloppy Seconds".
You're asking for a yeast infection

Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
T. I had enough grain and enough water left over that I decided to see if I could get a second batch (obviously much weaker) out of what was left over.
Left over grain? How must wert did you collect and boil for each batch? Interested in what the OG was of the second one if you didn't mix it all then separate it.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Quick Reply