Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 12oz vs 22oz bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Leggoma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 12oz vs 22oz bottles

Is there a noticeable difference in how the beer develops after bottling between 12oz and 24oz bottles? For my first batch, I bottled to both, and I swear there was a subtle taste difference when between the two. I cracked open a 22oz after killing a few 12oz'ers, and needless to say I was a little buzzed at the time. Plus my beer palate is probably not as refined as an experienced brewer, so I'm just wondering if it was all in my imagination. I would recreate the experiment, but I'm out of 22oz bottles (gave most of them away to friends/family).

On a separate note, the first brew was pretty tasty, and everyone who tasted it was pleasantly surprised, to include my non-microbrew, Miller drinking father inlaw. The only problem is that the batch size only came out to be 3.5 gallons at bottling and I'm almost out! I'm going to hide the last 4 in the back of my beer fridge to drink in like 6 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
scottedk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't heard of any difference in tastes so I don't know anything about that.

Instead of storing your last 4 in your beer fridge I would recommend keeping them out in room temperature to let them keep aging. Once you put them in the fridge it drops the temperature down to below where the yeast like to live and will probably stop the aging process.

I had a similar problem with my first batch in that when it got to bottling time there was only about 3.5-4 gallons instead of the supposed 5 gallons.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
1Q84
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I've only bottled in 12oz. bottles so far, but I got some plans to put some big brews in bombers. Will keep an eye on on this thread so hopefully we can both learn something.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
scottedk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bottled my first batch in 12-ozers as well. I plan on bottling in 22-ozers for my second batch (a IIPA currently in fermentation).

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

22 oz FTW

Bigger sizes mean less bottling and they usually look better IMO. Labels can be bigger and 1 22oz can make a nice gift. No idea on how it can affect taste though

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I bottle in a combination of both, just what I have on hand. Have some 1L flip tops also, but I tend to save those for high grav or special flavored beers.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

22 Ounce bottles will take longer to fully carbonate.

Once of the contributing factors to beer carbonating in a bottle is the amount of headspace relative to the amount of liquid. CO2 will continue to be produced and escape into the headspace…once sufficient pressure is achieved, that CO2 in the headspace then gets reabsorbed into the liquid…and the process continues until all residual sugars are essentially converted. Think of the headspace as the “staging” area for CO2 production. Since there is less headspace relative to a 22 ounce container than a 12, it takes longer for this process to complete.

That said, I like 22 ounces bottles for convenience, but remember that a 22 ounce bottle will require more than one pour and this can unsettle the yeast in the bottle…a detriment if you want a crystal clear pour.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

In my experience, a 22-oz container will condition more slowly. This has only been apparent to me with beers that are really slow-conditioning anyway, like my red ale that I screwed up. It had some pretty significant heat-related off flavors that disappeared from the 12-ounce bottles WAY before they left the 22s.

Kegged: Dry Irish Stout
Bottled: Dark English Mild
Bottled: No. 4 Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Honey Saison

Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll bottle 2 cases of 22oz bottles and put the rest in 12's. usually between 6 and 10, depending. I have yet to notice a difference in taste. The only difference I have encountered is that the 22oz bottles fill my glass stein and the 12oz'ers don't...

Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
bscott1011
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have done both 12 and 22 oz bottles. About the only difference I have seen is the big bottles take a few days longer to carb. They do save bottling time (less bottles to sanitize,fill,cap). Somehow I seem to run out of beer faster though

Quick Reply