12oz vs 22oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adarelme

Reaction score
Hello Folks, I have a question regarding alcohol in bottles.
I brewed a Belgium wit. 5 weeks ago. The abv was 7.9 %. I bottle my beer in a 22 oz bottles, instead of 12oz. My question is since I bottle in 22 oz, does it mean I have almost 15% alcohol in a bottle. Or is it still 7.9%

That's 7.9% alcohol by Volume. That means that for any given volume, 7.9% of that is alcohol. So in 12oz, nearly 1oz of it is alcohol. In 22oz, there is 1.75oz of alcohol...

Alcohol is measured by volume. So if you had one ounce of beer, it would be 7.9% in that ounce.

a 22 is more beer, but the liquid still has the same amount of alcohol in it.

Hi adarelme.

It's still 7.9% whether you put it in a 12oz or 22oz bottle. There is more alcohol in the 22oz bottle but the percentage per ounce is the same. It's like buying liquor. You can 90 proof whiskey in a pint or a 1.75 liter bottle. Same alcohol per ounce, just a lot more ounces in the big guy.

Hope that helps.

YOU ARE NOT! Smarter than a 5th grader. :cross:

sorry...I had to..

Cent is Latin for hundred. Per-Cent or % is a means of comparing how many out of 100. In Example: 7.9% means that almost 8 out of every 100 parts (let's say Ounces) in the bottle are alcohol. So weather you have 1 oz or 1billion ounces, it's still the same %.

You'll deffinately get drunk quicker off of the double deuce!

So its still 7.9 % no matter what bottle i use. just the alcohol in oz differ

So its still 7.9 % no matter what bottle i use. just the alcohol in oz differ

Yes. Just like if you bought a pint of vodka and a gallon of vodka. Same vodka, but one is in a bigger bottle.

Like coke. You can buy a 16 ounce bottle or a big gulp. It's still coke. Just lots more coke in the bigger bottle.

i went to a private school. Sorry. oh wait 5th grade all I remember are the thunder cats and Jijoe

I can only imagine that you must have confused ABV % with the recommended daily values in the nutrition information on food ;)
If alcohol in beer was in fact indicated as a percent of some recommended daily value, then doubling the bottle size would in fact double that figure... that confusion could lead to some issues though...
"Whoa, this beer only provides 10% of my daily value of alcohol... so I need to drink 10 of them? Better get started..."

i went to a private school. Sorry. oh wait 5th grade all I remember are the thunder cats and Jijoe

I'm calling BS on this post and submitter.
("gee eye joe" phonetically, with the first letter the dead giveaway, and he/she uses a "J"? That's got to be intentionally trying to look like a noob.)

I'm calling BS on this post and submitter.
("gee eye joe" phonetically, with the first letter the dead giveaway, and he/she uses a "J"? That's got to be intentionally trying to look like a noob.)

Or the "j" is 2 keys over from the "g". Could have been a fat finger.

But the original post makes it hard to believe he's serious. If he has to ask that, he shouldn't be drinking and killing any more brain cells.

Back