12oz vs 22 oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamsdm1111

Reaction score
Hi. I'm pretty new to both brewing and this site. I'm about to bottle my first batch and was wondering if there is any benefit to bottling in a 12oz vs a 22 oz.
Thanks
Dan

I think you get better beer to dregs ratio from smaller vs. larger bottles.

Can pour one 12oz bottle in one fell swoop with little dregs, but with larger bottles you may need to make multiple pours to empty the bottle. Multiple pours from one bottle stirs up more dregs for each succeeding pour.

I usually bottle with a case of 12oz bottles and a case of 22oz. I typically use the 12oz'ers as the ones to give to people to try. The 22oz'ers I enjoy exclusively for myself since I mostly enjoy my beer in a pint glass, and want to be able to pour a proper pint. If you're bottling for the first time, try bottling a case of each and see which you enjoy more.

Cheers

I prefer 22/24 oz. because it takes less time to bottle, takes less room to store, and technically saves a few cents a batch on caps. I deal with the multiple pours by never letting the bottle tip back and pour into two glasses in one pour.

I like bottling into both personally. Also, some beers have in between sizes. A lot of English beers seem to have strange sizes. I like a variety, but having at least some 22's definitely cuts down on the work.

I prefer 22/24 ounce beers and bigger glasses! Much less work, better gifts, and who just drinks one beer anyway!? :rockin:

22oz are cool and look better, like a fine bottle of wine. The 12oz'ers are free, and make better gifts becasue you'll never see them again. I'll go with free every time.

I've done 24 oz Grolsch style. No capping, great as gifts (as long as you get them to Return bottles ), and it seems to keep fresh after opening for about 7 days.

That's why I do it. :mug:

If you want lazy, I normally do a lot of Mr Beer 1 Liter bottles :tank: How's that for lazy. Bottling is so much faster. I do a few 12 oz as well. I also usually will fill a 1/2 gallon growler as well.

Are there any special cleaning/sanitizing steps? Have been interested in using these types of bottles (the flip top Grolsch-style).

Just realize they take longer to carb and condition than a 12 ouncer. The 3 weeks @70 degrees that we talk about here is for average gravity 12 ounce bottles to carb up. It can be a week to two longer for bombers.

Are there any special cleaning/sanitizing steps? Have been interested in using these types of bottles.

Which ones, Mr Beer 1L?

Here is what I do with all of my bottles. As soon as I use them, I then rinse them out with hot water 2 or 3 times. I normally will then soak them in sanitizer for an hour or so in the sink when i have a lot, then let them dry. Then on bottling day, I shoot them with hot water using my jet washer, then using my sanitizer cleaner rinser, where you push the bottle down on it, and it shoots sanitizer into it. Then shake it out as well as i can and fill it.

Yes, you should always sanitize fresh.

My method, is just my method :D I'm currently out of cleaner. When I buy some more, i'll wash them out with hot water, and soak them in cleaner instead of sanitizer.

Back