12 Week after first "yeast pitch" - no head/bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head/bubbles are no indication of anything. The only way to tell if the beer is done is to check with a hydrometer.

The beer has been in the primary fermenter for 12 weeks and you are not sure if it fermented? Couple of things you need to check/answer.

1) Was the beer in a bucket or glass carboy? If it's in a bucket, the lid could have been loose which is why you didn't see any activity through the airlock.

2) Have you taken any hydrometer readings to determine if fermentation occurred? Even if you didn't have the initial reading, an estimate should have been provided with the kit, and you can check the reading now to see if anything happened.

The hydrometer sinks right to the bottom.....doesn't float. Is it broken?

No, probably not. Use a sanitized turkey baster and take a sample out of the bucket, and put it in a tall cylinder if you don't have a test jar. (The container the hydrometer came in will work). It has to float, not rest on the bottom.

Ok, I tested the hydrometer in water and it read 1.000. I took a sample of our brew and it read 1.100. This was after we transfered to the carboy from the bucket & topped up with water.

Ok, I tested the hydrometer in water and it read 1.000. I took a sample of our brew and it read 1.100. This was after we transfered to the carboy from the bucket & topped up with water.

You topped off water in your secondary???

WTF? WHy did you dilute your beer with water after it was fermented?

Methinks you need to step back and read howtobrew.com

Also as to your first question about repitching, please read this http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Yeah. This was according to the directions given to me from my LHBS. After the beer was in the bucket for a week, transfer to carboy & then top up with water. Wait 2 weeks and then bottle. And, the hydrometer reading must have been 1.010.....

Methinks you need to step back and read How to Brew - By John Palmer

+1 on this. It sounds like you got some bad instruction from your lhbs as well as a crummy kit (adding sugar as a fermentable is a no-no).

If I were you I would re-read How to Brew and I would order a kit from Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer and follow the instructions it comes with. You will end up with a better beer.

Yeah, I have read "How to Brew". We were planning on junking this batch, but it tastes ok so we'll see where it goes. We're going to partial mash next time, but need a bit more equipment (mash tun, cajun burner/pot, thermometer, wort cooler, etc..) Our next batch is going to be paid much better attention to, with higher quality ingredients. Any suggestion on a recipe as a first?? We're thinking of an IPA or a blonde ale. Cheers guys, thanks for all the help.

I personally think you should brew at least one more extract with grains recipe before doing a partial mash. It's clear by the fact that you had to be told to use a hydrometer, and that you took such faulty advice from the lhbs, that you need to work a bit on your basic brewing process. I would do a kit from AHS or Northern Brewer, or even one from Brewer's Best. Or even a basic recipe from on here. If you follow GOOD directions, kits are pretty fool proof, which means you can concentrate on working on your basic skills as a brewer, without more steps.

With more things to do in a PM, and to be concerned about, there is more of a chance of screwing up. I talk about the idea of brewing process here; http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Why_cant_we_all_get_along/

I have some other decent info for beginners in my other blogs as well.

This is also a good thread with Basic info https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/?highlight=Stone+cold(though some people don't quite know the difference between information and opinion.)

Also take a read of the stickies in the beginners forum.

:mug:

Ah 'tis sad to be a noob!!! I will take your advice, Revvy, and brew from a kit.

This hobby is like anything, it's learning a set of skills, improving those skills, then learning more skills, and once you understand the fundamentals, dumping the skills that no-longer serve you...and that comes with practice. Master one set of steps til you're the expert on those, BEFORE you add new processes to the mix.

I personally strive to make the best beer I can, whether it is with a can of extract or a sack of grain, and I pretty much do...that just comes with time, practice, and patience.

I agree with Revvy. Just brewed my 7th extract batch yesterday and have JUST gotten that process efficient and confident. By efficient I mean time-wise, not necessarily beer efficiency. Maybe sometime I'll move up to PM but it'll take awhile- just the equipment alone is too much to afford at the moment, not to mention my confusion on the process holding me back. Kyle

Back