Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 12 gallon glass carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
triplehops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 41

Default 12 gallon glass carboy

hello all,
I was given a 12 gallon glass carboy and wanted to get a rubber stopper and air lock for it. The sucker weighs 77 pounds by itself! Any clue on size? (i read conflicting info; #12?)
Bottling my wildflower wheat ale this am.
LB

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Holy hell. A 12 gallon glass carboy? I've seen lots of accidents from 5 or 6 gallon ones. Can't imagine a 12 gallon one. I had to google it because I almost couldn't believe it existed. Of course Amazon has one - for $800 for $80 in shipping (not prime eligible )!!

Maybe this sizing chart will help you.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen one that big in my life. I'd hate to be the one to try & move that when it's full. I like the sound of wildflower wheat. Did you add wildflower honey or what?

triplehops Likes This 
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Bordy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Wow! I don't think I've ever seen one that big in my life.
That's what she said...

Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
triplehops
Recipes 

both wildflowers....and honey. i cant wait.
thanks to you all !! ^

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry-

Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordy

That's what she said...
Always funny.

Ok, so I have to ask...how are you going to use it? I can't imagine you'd try to move it after it's full. So are you going to place it on a shelf then fill it so that after fermentation you can rack to a bottling bucket or keg?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
triplehops
Recipes 

not 100% sure. but i will find a way. the bottom line it was being thrown out and they knew at work that i home brew. when i got home with it i saw its a 800.00 piece. i can sell it and upgrade my home brewing or make a 10 gallon batch in it and watch all hell break loose. it was so dam beautiful i couldn't watch it be thrown away. i agree too, impossible to physically move it, unless onto a ..... you're right. how the hell.....
i could also fill it with coins and when i retire in 15 years, Ill have a few hundred grand!
lb

-Dave Barry-

Old 05-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordy View Post
That's what she said...
The #1 complaint...it's never big enough!
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplehops View Post
both wildflowers....and honey. i cant wait.
thanks to you all !! ^
Hmm,I've used dandelion flowers in apple jack in the past. What kind of wild flowers in a wheat?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
mtnagel
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I can understand how you'll fill it and I assume you can use an auto siphon to get beer out (actually, are they long enough (another TWSS opportunity)), but what I want to know is: how are you going to clean this thing? Seems like more of a PITA than a help, but more power to you if you can make it work!

Old 05-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplehops View Post
not 100% sure. but i will find a way. the bottom line it was being thrown out and they knew at work that i home brew. when i got home with it i saw its a 800.00 piece. i can sell it and upgrade my home brewing or make a 10 gallon batch in it and watch all hell break loose. it was so dam beautiful i couldn't watch it be thrown away. i agree too, impossible to physically move it, unless onto a ..... you're right. how the hell.....
i could also fill it with coins and when i retire in 15 years, Ill have a few hundred grand!
lb
Sorry, don't me to be a buzzkill, but it does seem a little problematic. The only thing I could think of was maybe some kind of lift table or a hoist...but both of those present their own problems and might be more trouble than they're worth. If you have a pump you could place it up on a table/shelf then pump from boil kettle to fermenter. Then when finished you could gravity feed to bottle/keg.

Selling it might be the best long-term solution. It might take a while to sell it, but assuming you could get even half of what they're selling for online, that's a lot of money to work with on upgrades.

Quick Reply