Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 week taste test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Kronin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 1 week taste test

Heya,
I bottled my first brew in a long time a week ago, I have another in secondary already ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-lager-102016/ )
and started an Irish Stout a few days ago...

I opened my first bottle at 6 days, nice hiss but not carbonated yet... exactly what i expected to be honest, lots of CO2 but not in the beer yet

taste green but no off flavours, I can tell this is going to be a great tasting brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The sweet spot for carbonation is right at 21 days...assuming you're holding those beers at 70 degrees. Cooler and it can take longer.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Kronin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, I am planning to have one or two each week, and see how it improves...

Yeah the botles are stacked in cases, in my brewing room which is held steady at about 72.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Kronin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Just finished another, at day 10... still green but much better! nice pop/hiss upon opening and some carbonation retention in the beer too! I'm happy this is going so well... it's like magic! Beer Magic!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Good beer is magic in and of itself. Add in the science of making the beer... And I think you end up with Magience. Something like that, anyway.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
burger_76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
The sweet spot for carbonation is right at 21 days...assuming you're holding those beers at 70 degrees. Cooler and it can take longer.
I was started to get worried about my brew. I bottled it about three weeks ago and as of last week it still seems flat. But since they are sitting in my basement at 66-68 degrees I'm hoping that its just taking a little longer than I expected.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
simpleton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger_76 View Post
I was started to get worried about my brew. I bottled it about three weeks ago and as of last week it still seems flat. But since they are sitting in my basement at 66-68 degrees I'm hoping that its just taking a little longer than I expected.
I just bottled my first batch on sunday. Its the brewers best american nut brown ale extract kit. My fridge is holding at 68 so we'll see how long it takes. I probably won't sample till the second or third week.

Simpleton

Wouldn't it be terrible if I quoted some reliable statistics which prove that more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol?

~ W C Fields

Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Kronin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

3 and a half weeks now and had a couple (last night and today) and it is improving in carbonation a lot with lots of little bubble trails running up inside the glass..., but nothing really noticable in flavour. still very sour apple green... hmmmm.

also, these are very clear.. but they seem to get a little bit hazy when i chill them... anyone know why this is?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronin View Post
also, these are very clear.. but they seem to get a little bit hazy when i chill them... anyone know why this is?
That's called "chill haze". It is proteins that are in solution in the beer that come out when the beer is chilled down.

What method did you use to cool your wort before you put it into the fermenter? If you cool it fast enough you'll get a good cold break, which will cause a lot of that stuff to drop out of the wort.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Kronin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

thanks Hopaholic,

no wort cooling to speak of... i just used a kit with a large tin of the wort... just pour it into some hot hot water to mix, then add cold up to 23 litres... pitch and done,

Quick Reply