Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 gallon starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
tinydancer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1 gallon starter question

If I want a to make a gallon starter, should I make a quart of starter wort and pitch the yeast from the smack pack first and then every so often add another quart until I reach a total volume of 1 gallon, or can I just make up a starter wort of 1 gallon right off the bat and then pitch the yeast from the smack pack? I plan of chilling and then decanting the liquid on brew day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
If I want a to make a gallon starter, should I make a quart of starter wort and pitch the yeast from the smack pack first and then every so often add another quart until I reach a total volume of 1 gallon, or can I just make up a starter wort of 1 gallon right off the bat and then pitch the yeast from the smack pack? I plan of chilling and then decanting the liquid on brew day.
It is best to start small and build up. That way you're not stressing the yeast.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I suggest you go from 1 quart then to 1 gallon. The rule is not to exceed 5 - 10 times the volume in each step (exact value depends on the yeast).

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
surfbrewer
Recipes 

Just curious, how big of a batch are you making that you would need a 1 gallon starter? That's a crap load of yeast. Are you making a Barleywine or other high gravity brew?

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Splain' to me how making a large volume starter, stresses the yeast. I ask, because I just did this very thing last night. ie. made 1 gallon of starter wort and pitched my yeast into it. My thinking was that the yeast only have to work once instead of twice, now you have me worried that I made a mistake.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Sulli.

Because quite simply yeasts are living things, this isn't making coolaid or cooking with a bunch of inert ingredients, it's working with the birth, life, reproduction and death cycle f living creatures.

Yeasts reproduce exponentially, not based on the volume of sugars around them. So if you make a big wort and dump x amount of yeast in it, they're going to reproduce once and that amount of yeast is going then try to cope with all the food in their enviorment. They are going to eat all they can , then they are going to basically produce a bunch of alchohol and co2 then go dorment....Not necessarily consuming ALL the sugar in their enviornment.

Think of this as the one guy at a hotdog eating contest being given 30 hot dogs and only eating 20 before he pukes. There's still 10 hotdogs left to eat and one tired and sick eater.

On the other hand if you "step up" x amount of yeasts reproduce and eat a couple cups of sugars, and they finish it and are still hungry. Then you add more wort, they reproduce again and they eat and finish all and are still hungry. You add another step and the same thing happens until you reach your final volume, and with each feeding you've grown more yeast cells, which are still hungry for your beer...

This is the your teenage boy's birthday party where you have a dozen hungry growing boys killing off 60 hotdogs (5 apiece), and deciding that they are still hungry enough to want you to order pizza (without the reproduction factor, of course).

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That doesnt make sense to me. Then your saying if we pitch a small starter into a 5g batch we stress the yeast?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Sulli
Recipes 

So what your saying is that the yeast from a 125ml smackpack will reproduce the same amount of yeast regardless of whether it's pitched into 1L of wort or 5Gal. of wort. Am I understanding correctly?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Read this and be enlightened.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Sulli
Recipes 

III) The third phase is the exponential phase where yeast reproduction and metabolism is in high gear. Cells are dividing every 90 - 180 minutes and fermentation begins. During this time the number of yeast cells may increase as much as 1000-fold (or 3.0 logs) within 24 hours. The extent to which the cells divide is dictated primarily by the pitching rate. If appropriate pitching rates are used, the yeast are pitched at high concentrations (5-15 million yeast cells per ml) and undergo approximately 3 generations (23- or an 8-fold increase in cell number) to yield 80-100 million cells per ml. 100 million cells per ml is about the maximal concentration of yeast attainable in fermenting wort (Figure 2 ∓ 3). Fermentation is also very active and a krausen may be beginning to form.

So if I pitch a wyeast smackpack, which they claim contains 100 billion cells, into 1 Gallon of 1.040 wort, which according to the above paragraph would require approximately 57 billion cells for an "appropriate pitching rate". then those 100 billion cells should undergo approximately 3 generations without any problem, which would give me 300 billion cells, give or take a few million, and a five gallon batch would require just about 300 billion cells, to achieve a "high concentration" of yeast cells. So unless I'm completely confused, and it wouldn't be the first time, if you pitch into 1 gallon of wort you get plenty of yeast cells without all the hassle and potential contamination problems associated with step ups. Right? Wrong? Please put me on the correct path to yeast starter enlightenment.

Quick Reply