Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 gallon Brooklyn brew shop question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
raining_turtles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1 gallon Brooklyn brew shop question

I recently started brewing my first batch of beer with the all grain kit from Brooklyn brew shop (grapefruit honey ale) and all went perfect, until fermentation. It produced a Krausen but then it seemed that fermentation stopped... the weather here in KC is ridiculously hot right now and it's hard keeping our house under 80 degrees.
I have since moved the carboy to the basement where it holds a pretty solid 75 degrees. But there is no bubbling or airlock activity. I have read that air lock activity is not a good way to judge fermentation, but should I pitch some more yeast, or should I just let it go and trust the beer gods that every thing will come out ok.
I'm just worried that the temps spiked to high at the beginning of the fermentation process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
NateM137
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello,

I'm relatively new here but I've found the most common advice is to wait. Patience is the key to brewing. Also it might help if we had a little more info such as how long after brewing did the airlock activity start and stop, what yeast did you use, and if you have any gravity readings.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All the batches I've done so far using dry yeast have stopped bubbling vigorously after the first few days. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
raining_turtles
Recipes 

Being my first brew, I was an idiot and did not buy any thing to measure gravity with... the yeast in their kit I believe is s-04. It spent about the first 72 hours at about 80 degrees, and then has spent the past week at about 75. Since the initial krausen, it has shown no activity.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

I would wait. During that time, get a hydrometer and a cylinder so you can see what your FG is and make sure it's done fermenting prior to bottling. I'm sure the recipe will tell you an estimated FG.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
raining_turtles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL
All the batches I've done so far using dry yeast have stopped bubbling vigorously after the first few days. I wouldn't worry about it.
Sweet! This is what I was hoping, and since it is only a gallon batch I figured any activity would be more minimal due to the volume.
Thanks to every one for the extremely quick responses.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
get a hydrometer and a cylinder so you can see what your FG is
I wouldn't worry about it, just give it another week or two and then bottle. Taking a hydrometer reading will use several ounces of beer, and that's a significant hit from a one gallon batch. Next time, though, I'd recommend a swamp cooler or similar set-up.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

True, I forgot it was a 1gal batch! Don't waste the precious beer!!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
IkeKrizzule
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

As others have stated, don't worry. You didn't say how many days, but I'm assuming it was a few (3-5) and then no more bubbles. That's pretty normal, especially if you fermented at warm temps which tends to speed things up. Giving it some more time won't hurt, especially since you don't have a hydrometer to know for sure, but at 3 weeks you should be good to bottle. Might taste a bit off due to the high temps, next time keep it in the basement and/or use a swamp cooler.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
pb4ugoout
Recipes 

I have 15-20 brews under my belt. My current brew is a Wildflower Wheat made with honey and chamomile. I pitched at around 85-90*. Brew is sitting on my stairwell landing at around 78*. Vigorous fermentation lasted about a day and since then I haven't seen any airlock activity at all. However, the top of the beer is still foamy and the gravity continues to drop everyday. As others have stated I would wait it out. You aren't going to hurt anything if you leave it there while you order a hydrometer or refractometer. By the time you get something to check the gravity it will likely be complete. As long as you follow the directions and keep things clean, I have found that it's fairly hard to stop nature and screw up making beer.

Quick Reply