The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-gallon brewing resources; and all-grain possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
Mechphisto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1-gallon brewing resources; and all-grain possible?

So I just got my first brew going and in the fermenter. 5 gallons made from an extract kit put together by my local home brew supply store. But only just recently have I heard of 2.5 and even 1-gallon brewing. This really appeals to me! It will take me forever to go through 5 gallons of beer, even giving some to friends. And part of what I got into home brewing for is to be able to try different things and experiment and have fun. I can't really do that once every 3 months or so it takes me to get through 5 gallons. (I'm lucky to have one bottle a night.)

So, my question is, are there any good resources anyone can point me to regarding 1-gallon brewing? (I'd prefer 2.5, but the local brew store have 2-gallon buckets perfect for 1-gallon brew, and I can always have my favorite recipes going through the 5-gallon, leaving the 1-gallon to my experiments.)

Also, am I stuck doing extracts with 1-gallon batches? Or is it possible and viable for me to get into the all-grain brewing (my ultimate desired goal) with such small batches?

Thanks for any feedback!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

All grain 1-gallon brewer here...check out the 1 gallon unite thread in this section. That is basically where we hang out. Nothing radically different except smaller equipment. Let us know how we can help but check the thread first.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechphisto View Post
So I just got my first brew going and in the fermenter. 5 gallons made from an extract kit put together by my local home brew supply store. But only just recently have I heard of 2.5 and even 1-gallon brewing. This really appeals to me! It will take me forever to go through 5 gallons of beer, even giving some to friends. And part of what I got into home brewing for is to be able to try different things and experiment and have fun. I can't really do that once every 3 months or so it takes me to get through 5 gallons. (I'm lucky to have one bottle a night.)

So, my question is, are there any good resources anyone can point me to regarding 1-gallon brewing? (I'd prefer 2.5, but the local brew store have 2-gallon buckets perfect for 1-gallon brew, and I can always have my favorite recipes going through the 5-gallon, leaving the 1-gallon to my experiments.)

Also, am I stuck doing extracts with 1-gallon batches? Or is it possible and viable for me to get into the all-grain brewing (my ultimate desired goal) with such small batches?

Thanks for any feedback!
I do 2 1/2 gallon batches regularly and I use the same bucket that I would use for a 5 gallon batch, a 6 1/2 gallon ale pail. The extra space above the beer is no problem for the fermentation as it will produce CO2 to cover your beer. If you want to do 2 1/2 gallon batches, have at it. I also do mine as all grain BIAB and can do them right on my kitchen range using a 5 gallon stock pot and can chill that size batch in the sink if I wish.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do 1 gal batches from time to time. Especially, when I'm trying something new or something that I only enjoy in small quantities, like a porter or a big belgian. I usually do AG using the BIAB method for small batches. I'm usually done in 3 or so hours. I just divide all of the ingredients by 5. It works out fine. The only thing I had some issues wuith early on was determining what my boil volume needed to by to account for trub loss and boil off. I usually start with 1.75-2 gals and by the time I have it in the primary I usually have just about 1 gal. Typically, I have to top off to about 1.25 gal to hit the correct OG. This works well because it gets me a couple of more bottles out of the batch.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Mechphisto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I do 1 gal batches from time to time. Especially, when I'm trying something new or something that I only enjoy in small quantities, like a porter or a big belgian. I usually do AG using the BIAB method for small batches. I'm usually done in 3 or so hours. I just divide all of the ingredients by 5. It works out fine. The only thing I had some issues wuith early on was determining what my boil volume needed to by to account for trub loss and boil off. I usually start with 1.75-2 gals and by the time I have it in the primary I usually have just about 1 gal. Typically, I have to top off to about 1.25 gal to hit the correct OG. This works well because it gets me a couple of more bottles out of the batch.
Thanks for the tips!

Additional question: my local brew supply store sells these 3-gallon PET bottles; is 3 gallon enough headroom for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

3 gallons you'll likely have some blowoff loss but shouldn't be too bad. Invest in Fermcaps and you may have no loss.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Small batches and BIAB were made for each other. I use the same 2 gallon buckets you are talking bout and you can make 1.75 gallon batches w/ease. That gives you about 16 bottles. I use BeerSmith to make my recipes, a 5 gallon cooler to mash in and a 4 gallon pot to do the boil. This is what it looks like

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Conditioning Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

dennisjonesjr Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
jonboygentry
Recipes 

I'm going to venture into 2 gallon AG as well. I'm picking up some food grade buckets from a bakery department at my local grocery store. You can prolly get some buckets there. 3 gallon should be fine for a 2.5 gallon batch. I would rig up a blow off tube for the first stages of fermentation and then throw on the air lock after things have calmed down. My goal is to brew every weekend. I am almost to that point. This hobby is awesome and my beer taste amazing. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Small batches and BIAB were made for each other. I use the same 2 gallon buckets you are talking bout and you can make 1.75 gallon batches w/ease. That gives you about 16 bottles. I use BeerSmith to make my recipes, a 5 gallon cooler to mash in and a 4 gallon pot to do the boil. This is what it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYwf86unc4
I second that, here is another video if you check the link. *Note it is not my video!*

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vide...-grain-355623/

Fermenter 1 - Centennial Pale Ale
Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Mechphisto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't know what BIAB meant and had to look it up... Whoa! Cool!
Gah! More stuff to learn!
The idea of having to fudge and estimate the additional grain to compensate for the lack of tun (?) bothers me some. But, for me, the general simplicity of doing this while still being able to explore AG brewing is very exciting

Quick Reply