Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #801
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't always get the freshest yeast so I would pitch the whole vial if it has some age to it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #802
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy

Since this is in beersmith, is there any way to share a beersmith file through this board? If not, I was thinking we could post some good recipes and let others know in the beersmith cloud by putting something in front of the recipe that we would recognize. Like "1GU - barleywine" so we could find it. Save a little time putting it into beersmith? Anyone think that may be worth while? Just throwing out ideas....
I have to look into there cloud stuff I haven't looked into that to much

Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #803
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRock947

Okay. I get that there is estimated Gravity readings and actual readings but why are they so different? Is 1/4 of vial of yeast going to be enough for a Barley Wine?
Probably not. Use Mr.Malty and follow it exactly, if not overpitch. Probably almost a whole vial for such a big beer.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #804
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake
I don't always get the freshest yeast so I would pitch the whole vial if it has some age to it
My last two gallon batches, both with 1.070 OG, needed 1.2 and 1.0 vials of liquid yeast according to Mr. Malty due to the age of the yeast. I actually under pitched for one since it was too late to make a starter. I probably wouldn't have made a starter anyway since it was relatively close.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #805
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 814 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
Whats the temp of the chamber with the 1 liter of ice
I was a little off, the bottle is 1.75 liters, and maintains about a 10 degree drop from outside.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #806
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I'm using brew target, so I might be mistaken. I think you can export from most brewing software into an .xml file. That is one of the attachment types available here.

Can anyone think of a good reason for me not to use my 6 gallon aluminum stock pot for brewing?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #807
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
Can anyone think of a good reason for me not to use my 6 gallon aluminum stock pot for brewing?
6 gallon will work fine. You will just have to add a little extra sparge water on your 1-gal batches as the more surface area you have, the more you tend to boil off.

Also, make sure you boil water in it before you brew. That will give it an oxide layer that keeps the metallic flavor from getting in your beer.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #808
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
....Can anyone think of a good reason for me not to use my 6 gallon aluminum stock pot for brewing?
i use a 6 gallon aluminum pot to do 1.25G brews. works great. I really have not seen extra boil off as a problem due to the more surface area, but then each setup is unique. I boil off 3/4 to almost one gallon. I am planning some 2.5 gallon batches so this will do both so i see it as having more options and not limiting me. also no chance of boil over

Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #809
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a 3 gallon SS stock pot from walmart, just like the one linked and got it for about $9.50ish.

I'll try to get some pictures of my stuff tomorrow while I am cooking up some stuff. Just bought a bunch more today for the week.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #810
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just got home from a brew club meeting......Woohoooooo

And aluminum is fine as long as you build up a oxidation layer. My 10 gallon electric pot is aluminum only concern with the aluminum is it didn't hold a boil well with the element so I had to set the pid higher so I boiled off more.

Quick Reply