Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #71
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was thinking of doing a couple of small 2.5 gallon batches using the BIAB all grain method. can I put them each in a 6.5 gallon ale pail or do I need something with less headroom like a 3 gallon bottle etc.??

also can you split one package of yeast across 2 batches since it's a smaller 2.5 gallon batch vs. a 5 gallon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #72
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I was thinking of doing a couple of small 2.5 gallon batches using the BIAB all grain method. can I put them each in a 6.5 gallon ale pail or do I need something with less headroom like a 3 gallon bottle etc.??

also can you split one package of yeast across 2 batches since it's a smaller 2.5 gallon batch vs. a 5 gallon?
Yes, you can primary in a larger vessel no problem. If you use a secondary, then it should be a smaller vessel though.

For the yeast, it depends on what kind you're using. If you're using White Labs or Wyeast, then 1 package is typically not enough for a 5 gallon batch but is just about the right amount for ~3 gallons or so. Check out the pitching rate calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #73
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I never much got the "not enough space" argument. I live in a 580sqft condo, grabbed a turkey burner that I use on my patio, and BIAB all-grain. At the moment I've got 10 gallons in 3 kegs serving, and 25 gallons fermenting in my living room, out of the way. My brew day is 4-4.5 hours, from strike to end of cleanup.

If I didn't want to buy the turkey burner, my only investment would be the pot (MLT and boil kettle in one) and I can get that to a boil nicely as it sits over two of my apartment-size stove burners. I could potentially still be doing what I'm doing.

That said, my first batch was a 1 gallon and I still have that jug. Definitely cool for experimental batches. I guess if you're absolutely intent on not buying anything other than ingredients, 1 gallon batches make sense, but if you have a 7 or 8 gallon pot already, that's all you need to do bigger batches. I like the portability of 1 gallon, though. I can't exactly pick up my buckets and just drop them in another room if we're having company. That's a bit of an endeavor, and bottling 12 bottles instead of 52 certainly has its appeal.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #74
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgstiffler View Post
Yes, you can primary in a larger vessel no problem. If you use a secondary, then it should be a smaller vessel though.

The the yeast, it depends on what kind you're using. If you're using White Labs or Wyeast, then 1 package is typically not enough for a 5 gallon batch but is just about the right amount for ~3 gallons or so. Check out the pitching rate calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
one package of the liquid Wyeast isn't enough??? strange they only give you one packet of yeast in the ingredient sets at both my LHBS places and the kits that come from NORTHERN Brewers for the 5-5.5 gallon kits

Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #75
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper

one package of the liquid Wyeast isn't enough??? strange they only give you one packet of yeast in the ingredient sets at both my LHBS places and the kits that come from NORTHERN Brewers for the 5-5.5 gallon kits
Yeah, using liquid yeast you need to make a starter to up the cell count. Dry yeast only needs about 1 package for normal gravity beers.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #76
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Yeah, using liquid yeast you need to make a starter to up the cell count. Dry yeast only needs about 1 package for normal gravity beers.
ah, gotcha, I always assumed making a starter was pretty mandatory for liquid yeasts. in that case if I'm doing two 2.5 gallon batches can I just make a starter and for the yeast and split the result between the 2 smaller fermenters?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #77
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ah, gotcha, I always assumed making a starter was pretty mandatory for liquid yeasts. in that case if I'm doing two 2.5 gallon batches can I just make a starter and for the yeast and split the result between the 2 smaller fermenters?
Check out the pitching rate calculator I posted. That will tell you how much of a starter you need.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #78
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgstiffler View Post
Check out the pitching rate calculator I posted. That will tell you how much of a starter you need.
thanks, 1.25 liters of starter should be enough to split between two batches. although I may end up making my 2.5 gallon batches with simpler beers so nottingham yeast may be enough and with that I can just split the pack

Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #79
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started with a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit and have two other 1g recipes planned for the next few weeks. I'm a big fan of the small batches because my house is very small and I just don't have room for 5g stuff.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #80
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

People doing 5 gallon batches may not brew as frequently and as many styles/experiments as small batch brewers. I found 1 gallon was not quite enough beer to have save and keep so i do about almost 2 -well using 2 gallon fermenters.Plus not many people i know are too interested in beer or craft beer so i dont give much out.But the family/friends i have given them too give me very good feedback-and i tend to give them my "better" beers so at least i know a consensus is they are ok at least.One of my buddies and i had some local beer on tap then back to my house and he tried "homebrew" for the first time and he said he liked it "alot"better than the local ones he had at the bar.Everybody finishes my beer which makes me know im doing something right at least.

All grain is a breeze with small batch all grain biab stovetop also. Which made it a very simple step from partial/extract batches.Plus you can experiment at low cost and not be stuck with too many of just ok beer(nothing wrong with that-though).There would not be good beer if there wasnt anything lesser,right?Which leads to great beer to excellent,to holy **** i made that-beer?

Quick Reply