Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #61
Gunnarubex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brew in 1 gallon batches for several reasons. I live in a spider hole of an apartment, so I don't have room for 5 gallon carboys and large burners, etc. Second, my wife doesn't really drink beer, so what I brew I have to drink on my own, or share it. Third, I'm fairly new to brewing and don't want to be known as that guy who gives out crappy beer. And fourth, it's really nice to have several different beers in different stages of production. This way I don't have to wait around when one runs out, there's always something fresh coming up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #62
zgo
Recipes 

I've been doing one gallon AG batches for about 6 months now (after a year of extract stuff with friends), and it's great for a number of reasons:
1. Variety
2. Educational (series of smash brews)
3. Honing a method that I can--when I have the dough--scale up to larger batches with bigger and better equipment. Even then, though, I'll probably only do 3 gallons, just to keep a variety of beer around.

The only thing is that it isn't cost effective. I don't have a decent LHBS around here (the one we've got sells grains by the pound, and just a few at that), so I have to order everything online. Unless you're planning on brewing every week and order all the ingredients at once, the cost per bottle is less than decent. If you do order stuff for four brews at the beginning of each month, then you'll have crushed grains sitting around for weeks. The yeast alone accounts for almost 40% of the cost even though I'm only using half a pack. This is why I'll be going to 3 gallons in the near future.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #63
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I'm a recent convert to the one gallon batches. I've got two small ones under my belt so far, each experimental batches I wrote the recipes to and am greatly anticipating the results.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #64
BigBill
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just curious approximately what size boil do you start with? I like the ideea of using 1G batches to mess around with things.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #65
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgo View Post
The yeast alone accounts for almost 40% of the cost even though I'm only using half a pack.
This is why I wash my yeast. It is incredibly easy and if you plan your brews lightest to darkest, weakest to strongest, one pack of dry yeast will be good for 20 brews.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #66
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 752 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Hey Labrat can you explain your blow off tube set up? I like the simplicity of it and could be an easy fix to what I am doing. Thanks.
Its just a three piece airlock base with a short blow off tube shoved onto the center post. It blows off into the cup of sanitizer bungee corded to the jug.l

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #67
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've been using my 1 gallon carboy for experiments and "wife beers". She doesn't drink much, so she doesn't care that I only get 10 or so from the batch.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #68
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Today I bottled one gallon of a black ipa called You Never Go Back. If it turn out then I'll make 8 gallons. I love the 1 gallon test batches.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #69
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
Just curious approximately what size boil do you start with? I like the ideea of using 1G batches to mess around with things.
1.2 gallon boil approx.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #70
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
I use the BIAB method, so I start with just shy of 2 gallons. After removing the grains, I'd estimate that I have 1.2 to 1.5 gallons for the boil, and I end up very close to one gallon (give or take a few oz's).

Quick Reply