The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #41
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well I for one am sick of all you 10-gallon brewers telling us small-time 5-gallon brewers that we need to step it up already.

And I'm sure the 10 gallon brewers will say the same for the 1 BBL brewers.

And so on.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #42
airving
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
This way I don't end up with 3 cases of imperial spinach extra special vanilla stout eisbock!
This demands a recipe.

On topic, although I only brew 5 gallon batches currently, the appeal of brewing in the kitchen such that I'm not absenting myself from the family as much is appealing. It might allow me to brew more frequently, such that it offsets the downside ( for me - I recognize this is exactly why some folks do it ) of smaller batches.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #43
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nothing wrong with doing 1gal batches. Its not very efficient though...economies of scale and all

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #44
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As a 5 gallon brewer, I have to say there's something to be said for being able to brew more often.

Sometimes brewing 5 full gallons means you're stuck finishing off a bunch of beer you're not crazy about, just to be able to brew again.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #45
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have been brewing a few years and find I like the idea of brewing and experimenting with smaller batches idea awesome. I have been working at scaling down. I recently picked up some 3 gallon buckets and I'm actively looking for a 2 gallon fermenter for a 1 to 1- 1/2 gallon brew size. Any ideas where to pick up 2 gallon fermenters? I just purchase Beersmith and love the scaling down feature, it works excellent. I just don't drink enough to want to keep doing 5 gallon batches but I love many styles of ales and 5 gallons of one style is way too much for me.

Jeff, I have one question about Yeast. I mostly use dry yeast for its convenience. Once opened, how long could I keep the leftover if I quickly vacuum packed it sealed it back up again? Sometimes when I brew 5 gallon batches with a liquid yeast, I collect some and reuse it on the next batch. That could also work. Any thoughts?

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #46
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A friend and I always brew together and then split the 5 gallon batch. Sometimes we split it even further, like adding vanilla after we have bottled half or bottling 2 gallons and racking the rest on blueberries. So for each brew we are basically getting 2.5 gallons each and for our flavoring experiments we have a baseline to compare it to.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #47
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
I for one have only been brewing a few years and find I like the idea of brewing and experimenting with smaller batches idea awesome. I have been working at scaling down. I recently picked up some 3 gallon buckets and I'm actively looking for a 2 gallon fermenter for a 1 to 1- 1/2 gallon brew size. Any ideas where to pick up 2 gallon fermenters? I just purchase Beersmith and love the scaling down feature, it works excellent. I just don't drink enough to want to keep doing 5 gallon batches but I love many styles of ales and 5 gallons of one style is way too much for me.

Jeff, I have one question about Yeast. I mostly use dry yeast for its convenience. Once opened, how long could I keep the leftover if I quickly vacuum packed it sealed it back up again? Sometimes when I brew 5 gallon batches with a liquid yeast, I collect some and reuse it on the next batch. That could also work. Any thoughts?
You can get buckets and lids from us plastics. You can also use tap a draft bottles if you have them.

I've used yeast that has been opened and left in the fridge for a week or two and it seemed to work fine. Since you vacuum pack them, i would think even longer!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
Stonewild
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Of the small batch sizes: I'm finding that 2 to 2.5 gal. batches are best for my kitchen with a 4 gal. pot and using the BIAB method. 2.5 is nice because I can just split a normal 5 gal stock recipe.

1 gal. batches are still great for experiments.

For 1 and 2 gal fermenters: I found some clear 1.25 gal and 2.5 gal water containers from Walmart. They have spout which is great for bottling or for attaching a blowoff. When the spout is removed, my air lock fits nicely.

Last edited by Stonewild; 03-23-2012 at 05:30 PM.
thewinner Likes This 
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #49
Taxman
Recipes 

How do you split a Wyeast bag of yeast to use in a 2.5 and a 1 gal batch? Then, how would I keep the balance of the yeast?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #50
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
How do you split a Wyeast bag of yeast to use in a 2.5 and a 1 gal batch? Then, how would I keep the balance of the yeast?
For the 2.5 gallon batches, I just pitch a whole smack pack or vial. The pitch rate is usually right on.

Quick Reply