Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #481
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Well, I bottled both batches earlier today. Two things I think I don't like about small batch brewing is, less bottles to cap and more gear to clean up. The latter is just one of those things. You brew more, you're going to clean more. I can understand that.

But, I have to admit....I was a bit depressed I only got about 9-10 bottles per batch. I'll kept thinking..."That's it?" (sigh).

Looking forward to sampling these beers in a couple of weeks.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #482
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Has anyone brewed the BBS New Year Beer? I'm giving this one a shot tomorrow.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #483
pabrimmer
Recipes 

I haven't tried it yet, but I have the ingredients to make two batches of it. I'm going to brew as soon as my fermenter is available - I have their grapefruit honey ale in there now.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #484
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I've been just doing five liter (1.3 gallons) batches up to now, but I'm going to get several one gallon glass jugs and do a wild or sour batch every two or three months and blend them in the summer on top of wild black raspberries on our farm. Hopefully end up with four or five gallons of gueze, some nine month old lambic, some newer ale.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #485
gwdraper4
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzand1 View Post
For those that use 1gallon for testing, how consistent is the taste when you decide to make a larger batch. Also on the same note, any tips for how to create a consistent tasting beer?
I scale all my recipes and brewing to be exactly 1/4 of a 5 gallon batch which I always plan for 6 gallons post boil. This means my planned batch size post boil is 1.5 gallons. Also, I formulate my hops in 7 gram increments, which is 1/4 of an ounce. This makes scaling of everything volume and weight very easy...just multiply by 4! For consistency, take diligent notes of any variations in your process as well as tasting notes from batch to batch of the same beer. But the A number 1 best thing is fermentation control. If you can keep consistent fermenting temperatures from pitching your yeast to right when you bottle you will notice more consistent results. The first 24-72 hours of fermentation have the highest impact on flavor, so temperature control during this period will provide more consistency batch to batch. Cheers!

Life is too short to drink crappy beer@
Kegged: Super Hoppy Red Ale, IPA
Bottle: Barleywine, Belgian Chocolate Red
Fermenting: India Brown, Pale Ale

Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #486
BigRock947

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Pictures From Brew Day This Weekend

I was trying to brew a Blue Moon Clone from some ideas floating around here on HomeBrewTalk. I finally decided to up my game and add some pictures.

I hit the mash temperature of 157 degrees...YEAH!

My insulated lid floating on the grains.

More insulation around the pot/mash tun.

I sanitized my measuring cup then added water. I boiled the water in the microwave for 6 minutes. Let it cool to 80 degrees then measured out 4 grams of SA-05 yeast. Cover with sanitized foil.

Overall, it was a good brew day. 3 1/2 hours total and only 2 problems. My final gravity was higher than expected and final volume was low by 1/4 of a gallon. I ended up with 1 gallon than the 1.25 I intended. Oh well...I had a home brew when I was done.

Cheers,

Mark

jwalk4 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #487
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i just found out that a little "hole in the wall" liquor store, less than a mile from the house, as a full Homebrew Supply section in the back.

i also learned that they have a huge craft beer section.

i've lived here for 34 years, and never walked in the store once. i always just thought it was a crummy beer store, and we have lots of those around here.

somehow, i think that having a Homebrew Supply within walking distance could be a problem for the old budget.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #488
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing View Post
i just found out that a little "hole in the wall" liquor store, less than a mile from the house, as a full Homebrew Supply section in the back.

i also learned that they have a huge craft beer section.

i've lived here for 34 years, and never walked in the store once. i always just thought it was a crummy beer store, and we have lots of those around here.

somehow, i think that having a Homebrew Supply within walking distance could be a problem for the old budget.

I see you are in Chicago, mind sharing where this is located exactly? Would love to check it out!

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #489
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrimmer View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but I have the ingredients to make two batches of it. I'm going to brew as soon as my fermenter is available - I have their grapefruit honey ale in there now.
Brewed the BBS New Year Beer this morning. Efficiency was only 60% as opposed to the 75% efficiency I had for my last BBS recipe. I mashed about 6-8 degrees lower than last time. Might that be the reason?

Also ended up about a half quart low on the wort, even after using a quart more water that I did for my last BBS recipe. Not sure what happened there.

Strong clementine aroma, but not much clementine flavor in the sample I took. Maybe that will pick up a little after fermentation is complete.

I sure am enjoying these small batches, even if it does take about the same amount of time as a five gallon extract batch.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #490
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
I see you are in Chicago, mind sharing where this is located exactly? Would love to check it out!
Archer liquors, on archer just west of central

Quick Reply