Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #441
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 79

This has probably been answered already but besides 1 gallon jugs what other fermentors are people using for 1 gallon size brews? I am going to be limited to stove top brewing the next several months. Send me a pm if you like.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #442
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I picked up a 2 gallon bucket from my LHBS for my first gallon batch last weekend. The guy in the store recommended it so that I wouldn't have to worry about losing too much to blowoff.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #443
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

I have some 3 gallon buckets but I was thinking that tis could be way too much head space.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #444
BigRock947

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default 3 gallon carboy for 1.25 gallaon batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I have some 3 gallon buckets but I was thinking that tis could be way too much head space.
I use 5 gallon carboys when I brew 2.5 gallon batches so far no trouble with too much head space. I am using a 3 gallon carboy for a 1.25 gallon batch right now. The co2 from the initial fermentation will 'blanket' the beer so head space hasn't been an issue for me. Go ahead and use the 3 gallon buckets unless you decide to secondary then head space should be minimized.

Cheers,

Mark

Reason: typo

Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #445
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRock947 View Post
I use 5 gallon carboys when I brew 2.5 gallon batches so far no trouble with too much head space. I am using a 3 gallon carboy for a 1.25 gallon batch right now. The co2 from the initial fermentation will 'blanket' the beer so head space hasn't been an issue for me. Go ahead and use the 3 gallon buckets unless you decide to secondary then head space should be minimized.
Thanks for letting me know that these sizes will work. There is a local bakery that sells their 3 gallon frosting buckets ofr $2.00 including a lid. I was just uncertain about having 1-1.25 gallons of beer with 2 gallons of head space to be too much open space for the CO2 to blanket. I didn't know if trying to ferment 1 gallon of beer would produce enough CO2 for a proper blanket. Thanks for the response.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #446
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts

Does the 'three weeks in primary' wisdom that is widely accepted here apply to gallon batches as well? Or is two weeks, as the Brooklyn Brew Shop book recommends, suitable for a gallon batch? I can argue both sides in my head, but want to see what others think.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #447
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have seen instructions that say 1 week as well but I generally ignore instructions and go with what works for me - 3 weeks.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #448
pabrimmer
Recipes 

My first batch, BBS grapefruit honey ale, is in the fermenter now. It's been there two weeks and a day. I was thinking I would bottle in the next few days, because the recipe calls for 2 weeks and because there had been a gradual decline in visible activity the first week down to no visible activity the second week. Every day it was looking clearer. Today, I took a look at it, and it's opaque again, bubbles everywhere! Has anyone else seen sleeping beauty behavior like this from their yeast?

I bought the ingredients for making a couple batches of the BBS recipe New Year Beer. Looking forward to getting started on that!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #449
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Does the 'three weeks in primary' wisdom that is widely accepted here apply to gallon batches as well? Or is two weeks, as the Brooklyn Brew Shop book recommends, suitable for a gallon batch? I can argue both sides in my head, but want to see what others think.
Its not about batch size...all bottles are the same. I give it even longer for 16oz or more. If there is any major influence on how long its ABV and not batch size. The higher the ABV, the longer it usually takes

Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #450
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37
I pretty much do the same for a 5 gallon batch that I do for a small batch. If I have a small beer 1.050 and below I will ferment a week and dry hop a week in primary. Above 1.050 I will leave it for 2 weeks then dry hop for a week for a 3 week total. Sometimes with a really light session beer I will give it 3-4 days to ferment, 4 days dry hop and get it bottled quick as long as I know my FG is stable. And....sometimes they go quick too... I'm seeing a pattern here!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Quick Reply