1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your blog jolly keep up th good work... your a good canidatefor homebrew wenesday videos.

Not much to report on my front. Started my standard concetrrate table wine.. I imperiralized my irish red with some honey left over from a mead and a dry hopping[might have went nuts it 11%]. Have 4 meads in secondary, one at 8 mos bulk aging tasting amazing.

Attempting to score a 2-3 frosting pail and bottling spigot to make a bottling/wine blending bucket.

Other then that its keep cool maintiain, steady the rudder and charge into the wave.

Good luck yall happy brewing

it is thirded here ice fishing indeed rocks, none for me this year.. havent got a freeze thats stuck. Dont the fish taste much cleaner throught the ice???

it is thirded here ice fishing indeed rocks, none for me this year.. havent got a freeze thats stuck. Dont the fish taste much cleaner throught the ice???

Fish does taste better through the ice...I need to take some pictures of ice fishing and my home brews. Mmmm...fish and home brew...

So I brewed up a 1 gallon barleywine about a month and a half ago, everything went great and the hydro sample was fantastic
0B92365C-1D34-404A-9DD4-A54471AF2008-2540-000001265610619B.jpg

When I went to move to secondary, I pumped my auto siphon and didn't realize the siphon tube came out of the jug!
I wanted to secondary it for 6 months and bottle for 6 months. Is this too much headspace for extended secondary? Should I just bottle for a year?
5429E5CA-34AD-4A83-924F-E5009BF65FBF-2540-0000012653B6C6F1.jpg

Good to hear you guys in the States are ice-fishing too! Full swing into the season here in MB.

After a long, cold day of checking fishing licenses and shack permits on the lake yesterday, I warmed up over the stove, boiling an American Pale Ale - lots of Cascades!

In five years working with fishing/wildlife/park regulations, I've had to deal with more than a few intoxicated individuals...but never once have I dealt with a drinking violation involving homemade beer. Speaks well of this community, methinks!

Good luck out on the ice, eh?

Happy New Year to all my one-gallon friends!

I want to thank those of y'all who helped me with all the advice on my first brew (the Andes Mint Stout). Even though I didn't hit my expected SG (ended up with 1.036 which finished at 1.010) and I definetly identified a few issues in my process to be fine-tuned next time, I count the whole experience as a huge success. :tank:

Here's the result of my labors:

I would have had ten finished bottles, but my cat managed to get up on the counter while I was bottling and "investigated" a couple (read: "knocked them into the sink" before I had a chance to cap 'em. Fuzzy litte bastard is lucky I had my hands full at the moment, or he'd probably be a throw-rug about now. :mad:

And just for proof that cats don't give a damn - here he was not an hour later, lookin' for belly rubs from the man who's brew he sinned against:

Anyway - thanks again to everyone who helped me convert recipes, offered reassurance, or passed along advice. I'm already looking forward to my next brewday. :)

Happy New Year to all my one-gallon friends!

I want to thank those of y'all who helped me with all the advice on my first brew (the Andes Mint Stout). Even though I didn't hit my expected SG (ended up with 1.036 which finished at 1.010) and I definetly identified a few issues in my process to be fine-tuned next time, I count the whole experience as a huge success. :tank:
)
Let me guess dont follow cheeses water amounts. ....thats what you learned sorry for the mixup on that recipe. You will have to brew it again but not following my directions

Lol, don't sweat it man. There were a few minor hitches in the process in general. At least I ended up with almost exactly a gallon's worth of finished brew. I will still gladly accept tokens of penance in the form of homebrew, should you choose to make such an offering. ;)

So I brewed up a 1 gallon barleywine about a month and a half ago, everything went great and the hydro sample was fantastic

When I went to move to secondary, I pumped my auto siphon and didn't realize the siphon tube came out of the jug!
I wanted to secondary it for 6 months and bottle for 6 months. Is this too much headspace for extended secondary? Should I just bottle for a year?

Its Probably going to be fine.. But, It would have been nicer to have it more full but as long as you were really clean about it, it should be okay. Do you have any C02? If so, drop a blanket of C02 on top of it.

Im not sure if it was my Barleywine what I would do as I havent had the patience yet to try one. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Fish does taste better through the ice...I need to take some pictures of ice fishing and my home brews. Mmmm...fish and home brew...

Post some Nice Fish Pictures! I love to fish.... and drink after I fish!! lol I drink after becuase I spearfish... but if I could figure out a way....

divrguy said:
Its Probably going to be fine.. But, It would have been nicer to have it more full but as long as you were really clean about it, it should be okay. Do you have any C02? If so, drop a blanket of C02 on top of it.

Im not sure if it was my Barleywine what I would do as I havent had the patience yet to try one. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

I don't have any co2 but was super sanitary, thanks for the response

Lol, don't sweat it man. There were a few minor hitches in the process in general. At least I ended up with almost exactly a gallon's worth of finished brew. I will still gladly accept tokens of penance in the form of homebrew, should you choose to make such an offering. ;)

dont worry i will be sending some now that all the bugs are worked out of the new system.

This is my first post to the forums. Brand new to homebrewing and brewed my first batch on New Year's Eve morning. Received a Mr. beer and a Northern Brewer 1 gallon kit for Christmas. Brewed them both on New Year's eve morning. The Mr. beer extract is the American light. The Northern Brewer is the Irish red ale. I had major evaporation with the Northern Brewer and ended up with barely over half a gallon. I didn't know that I could top it off with water so I didn't. What can I expect from this batch?

Higher abv beer. You could probably add the water in at bottling time. Gently mix it it with out introducing air.

Also whats the next beer you plan on brewing

cheesecake said:
Higher abv beer. You could probably add the water in at bottling time. Gently mix it it with out introducing air.

Is abv=alcohol by volume? What about adding the water right now?

muleskinner90 said:
Is abv=alcohol by volume? What about adding the water right now?

Correct on ABV.
I would boil, cool and add water right now. Boiling is important to kill anything that might be in the water as well as remove any O2 in solution.

bleme said:
Correct on ABV.
I would boil, cool and add water right now. Boiling is important to kill anything that might be in the water as well as remove any O2 in solution.

+1 for sure boil it...cool it ..great advice Bleme

That reminds me I need to do a brown ale. I ran that out of my pipeline. So, whats a cyser?
Something between a mead and a hard cider. Basically, it's apple juice with honey added to up the gravity. Sometimes sugar is added as well.

Next up for my moms birthday party is a batch of Oktoberfest (late I know) and a scale down of NBs Le Petit Orange.. 18-20 bottles should be plenty for a dozen people plus wine

+1 for sure boil it...cool it ..great advice Bleme

Did it! Thanks for the advice! Boiled the water last night, let it cool over night and added it this morning. Sanitized a measuring cup and used that to transfer to the fermenter/carboy.

Leadgolem said:
Why not make the wine too?

I got a six gallon wine kit for Christmas- as soon as I find a bucket big enough I'll make it- but it'll take a year to age. Planting a small vineyard this spring- Zinfandel, Cab Franc, and Malbec

Hello all brewers! Name's Chris from Dayton, Ohio. I thought this would be the appropriate place to make my introduction as I am embracing the 1-gallon all grain brewing world. My wife got me the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, I brewed up the batch of American Light it came with and it is clearing up nicely in the LBK fermenter.

I also received the book "Beer Craft" from my sister and I decided I wanted to do some all-grain brewing but do not want to make 5 gallons at a time. We have a nice home brew shop close by so I went in and put together all the appropriate supplies. I also picked up all the ingredients to do my first brew (a standard American Pale Ale).

The brewing went well for my first shot but I wrote down notes on everything that could have gone better for the next time. Here are pics of the mash & boil. I'll snap a pic of the fermenter and it get it up here as well. Should be ready to bottle come 1/14/13.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and growing my brew skills!
Cheers! :mug:

Mash
A441A8EB-6EA7-4667-A982-76197A8ECB82-1119-000004A284BE091B.jpg

Boil
34874CDE-A3B5-4438-8B47-E4178231638C-1119-000004A29076A01A.jpg

SquidRavioli said:
Hello all brewers! Name's Chris from Dayton, Ohio. I thought this would be the appropriate place to make my introduction as I am embracing the 1-gallon all grain brewing world. My wife got me the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, I brewed up the batch of American Light it came with and it is clearing up nicely in the LBK fermenter.

I also received the book "Beer Craft" from my sister and I decided I wanted to do some all-grain brewing but do not want to make 5 gallons at a time. We have a nice home brew shop close by so I went in and put together all the appropriate supplies. I also picked up all the ingredients to do my first brew (a standard American Pale Ale).

The brewing went well for my first shot but I wrote down notes on everything that could have gone better for the next time. Here are pics of the mash & boil. I'll snap a pic of the fermenter and it get it up here as well. Should be ready to bottle come 1/14/13.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and growing my brew skills!
Cheers! :mug:

Mash

Boil

Welcome to the addiction! Cheers!

Another pint pour. 6.2% IPA, bitterered with Horizon, with Southern Cross (NZ) and Falconers Flight for flavor/aroma. What an incredible beer! Awesome late boil combo, recommended

image-3735376890.jpg

So I need to decide which batch to brew next, an amarillo blonde or the coconut porter.

Technically the porter will take longer, thus I should start it sooner...but the amarillo sounds do tasty!

What would you do? (note: only enough time to brew one batch this weekend)

Another pint pour. 6.2% IPA, bitterered with Horizon, with Southern Cross (NZ) and Falconers Flight for flavor/aroma. What an incredible beer! Awesome late boil combo, recommended

I mean this in a very respectful way>

The more I read your post, the more I get confused. How can you call a beer incredible if you hate beer? It says in your signature you hate it!

Even when someone loves beer like me... my taste is pretty specific to me as is almost every brewer I know. Although, there are beers that a higher number of Homebrewers will prefer in any one category.. thats the reason we have beer sites like beeradvocate.com rating beers. ... so if you dont even like beer ???? WTF How could you possibly judge it? or say "it's an incredible beer" ?

Enlighten me..

divrguy said:
I mean this in a very respectful way>

The more I read your post, the more I get confused. How can you call a beer incredible if you hate beer? It says in your signature you hate it!

Even when someone loves beer like me... my taste is pretty specific to me as is almost every brewer I know. Although, there are beers that a higher number of Homebrewers will prefer in any one category.. thats the reason we have beer sites like beeradvocate.com rating beers. ... so if you dont even like beer ???? WTF How could you possibly judge it? or say "it's an incredible beer" ?

Enlighten me..

Hahaha! I totally understand!

I guess I don't hate beer, I just dislike most styles. You could probably classify me as a rice swill drinker, but I don't consider it beer. Not an IPA drinker but I did try it and I really liked the aromatics and even enjoyed the taste of the IPA. Hoppy but not too bitter. Mid crystal, pine, lemon, a little tangerine. A little bready from Maris Otter. Those were my thoughts

I also had a bunch of tasters and buddies try it who have told me some of my batches suck... But they raved about it! I rely on tasters

So that's how I classify this beer as a good one/

Hahaha! I totally understand!

I guess I don't hate beer, I just dislike most styles. You could probably classify me as a rice swill drinker, but I don't consider it beer. Not an IPA drinker but I did try it and I really liked the aromatics and even enjoyed the taste of the IPA. Hoppy but not too bitter. Mid crystal, pine, lemon, a little tangerine. A little bready from Maris Otter. Those were my thoughts

I also had a bunch of tasters and buddies try it who have told me some of my batches suck... But they raved about it! I rely on tasters

So that's how I classify this beer as a good one/

Therein lies my confusion... lol

So, the fact is that you DO like beer. There is nothing wrong with you liking BMC or for that fact, any lager, wheat beer, Blonde beer, Alt Beer, Kolsch Beer, Belgain, Barleywine, RIS or whatever.. If thats what you like...own up to it!

Now, that said, If I made a Barleywine for myself and I hated it... but my buddies said they loved it and they drink Barleywines all the time... I would say.... My Barleywine drinking buddies loved it, but its not my style!

Now it makes a little more sense to me becuase I thought you didnt like any kind of beer... Rice beer is beer.... To each his own...lol

My SWMBO loves Great White Ale from Lost Coast Brewerey! Its categorized as a Witbier. I think its very boring but its what she likes! There ya go!

rawkstar320 said:
So I need to decide which batch to brew next, an amarillo blonde or the coconut porter.

Technically the porter will take longer, thus I should start it sooner...but the amarillo sounds do tasty!

What would you do? (note: only enough time to brew one batch this weekend)

Wow, both of those sound awesome! How about a double batch lol

Edit: what I mean is can you do simultaneous batches? If not, flip of a coin because they would both be great

Wow, both of those sound awesome! How about a double batch lol

Edit: what I mean is can you do simultaneous batches? If not, flip of a coin because they would both be great

Lol, unfortunately I only have the equipment for one batch at a time...probably will do the amarillo this weekend and porter next weekend. I guess....haha

muleskinner90 said:
Did it! Thanks for the advice! Boiled the water last night, let it cool over night and added it this morning. Sanitized a measuring cup and used that to transfer to the fermenter/carboy.

Today is the third day of fermentation. Air bubbles were coming through the airlock prior to me adding the water but now has stopped. Should I be concerned?

rawkstar320 said:
Lol, unfortunately I only have the equipment for one batch at a time...probably will do the amarillo this weekend and porter next weekend. I guess....haha

I love Porters...love coconut and wow a coconut porter sounds great. Love Amarillo in IPA's so

If you are up for it, I have a porter fermenting right now with a centennial ale and a Santiam SMASH. I have never done a coconut porter and would so a small batch if you send me your recipe and ill trade you 2 bottles of coconut for 2 bottles of Amarillo! I have room in my fermenter next weekend. Could work? Lol

muleskinner90 said:
Today is the third day of fermentation. Air bubbles were coming through the airlock prior to me adding the water but now has stopped. Should I be concerned?

Okay you should've mentioned you had active fermentation already when you first posted. Had you mentioned that it probably would have been better to wait. Unless I missed that and if I did, I sincerely apologize for making that assumption. Probably what happened right now is it stalled the fermentation. Give the yeast a chance to catch back up again and it probably will start back up if it hasn't finished yet.

divrguy said:
Okay you should've mentioned you had active fermentation already when you first posted. Had you mentioned that it probably would have been better to wait. Unless I missed that and if I did, I sincerely apologize for making that assumption. Probably what happened right now is it stalled the fermentation. Give the yeast a chance to catch back up again and it probably will start back up if it hasn't finished yet.

Oops! I should have mentioned it but didn't. I guess there's a chance it won't start again?

divrguy said:

Anything else I should do at this point? Increase the ambient temperature? It's currently about 65°.

divrguy said:
Therein lies my confusion... lol

So, the fact is that you DO like beer. There is nothing wrong with you liking BMC or for that fact, any lager, wheat beer, Blonde beer, Alt Beer, Kolsch Beer, Belgain, Barleywine, RIS or whatever.. If thats what you like...own up to it!

Now, that said, If I made a Barleywine for myself and I hated it... but my buddies said they loved it and they drink Barleywines all the time... I would say.... My Barleywine drinking buddies loved it, but its not my style!

Now it makes a little more sense to me becuase I thought you didnt like any kind of beer... Rice beer is beer.... To each his own...lol

My SWMBO loves Great White Ale from Lost Coast Brewerey! Its categorized as a Witbier. I think its very boring but its what she likes! There ya go!

Haha, I guess so. I don't like most beer but you know, there are exceptions. I do love homebrewing, that's what matters

Back