New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #3571
JohnSand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 306

When using a half pack, I fold the pack in half before cutting open. After pitching, I squeeze out any air and tape closed. Then refrigerate. It keeps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #3572
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSand View Post
When using a half pack, I fold the pack in half before cutting open. After pitching, I squeeze out any air and tape closed. Then refrigerate. It keeps.
Same here.

Ride Hard, Be Safe, and Brew Beer.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #3573
RhodySeth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Made my first 1 gallon batch over the weekend. I used the 5 gallon Dead Ringer IPA recipe from Northern Brewer, divided it by 5 and then bought the ingredients at the LHBS. First time I've had to use a blowoff tube as I usually brew 2.5 gallons in a 6 gallon tub. Also the first time I actually get to watch the beer ferment. Fun!

And I found a gallo wine jug at the dump so now I've got another fermentor to fill with something. Mwa ha!

Fermenter: 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale / English Barleywine / American Wheat
Bottled: Empty
Drinking: Chinook Pale Ale / Choconanner Stout

My Blog: All about my trail running and brewing (but not at the same time!)

BikerBrewer Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #3574
sumbrewindude
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This thread is too awesome to be stuck back a few pages.

New brewer, read through every one of these 300+ pages, and a ton more through out the rest of the forum.

With all the help in here, a successful 1.5gal SMaSH was made and is fermenting happily.

Process was super smooth; mashed out in a 1.5gal pot BIAB in the oven and worked awesome, dunk sparged in the BK (3gal) at 168 for ten, then removed/squeezed and ran it up to boil in under 10min. Cool down in an icebath (a sink with a bunch of reusable KoolBags) dropped to 95deg in about 10min, and from there it was easy to rack out to the bucket and put it in the garage (52deg) to drop it to pitch temps.

3hrs total including clean up, and that could have been cut down now that I have times marked out for heating waits, prepping while mashing/boiling instead of before hand. Looking at the charts I made I could probably shave off another 20-30min so long as I can keep one sink open for dish washing.

Cleared 1.45 gal or there abouts (need better measurements on the bucket).

Tricks learned that worked awesome:
- Spray bottle trick should be in bold, caps, everywhere you read about brewing. It's. Awesome. And keeps the Mrs. happy!
- Have all additions prepped and labeled, two count down timers work great.
- A shallow rubbermaid container (like what you'd slide under the bed) holds 2gal of sanitizer about half full, and is super handy to toss spoons/syringes/tubing/you name it into it. Fits great on the counter too, so there's never an excuse to not have something in the sanitizer ready to remove/use/return.

For anyone saying you can't get into AG Brewing on the cheap, you're wrong. BK, bags, 2gal bucket and lid, couple chunks of hose, a cheap airlock, and a cut down racking cane. Most expensive thing I bought was a HF grains scale for accurate measurements on hops/yeast, and even that was only 14 bucks.

Things I need to figure out a better way to deal with - LOTS of particulate from the BIAB in both the initial mash and the sparge. I tried using a milk filter in the colander to catch it, but they were too fine a filter, and just got bogged down (they're supposed to be used as part of a pressurized system).

My home made "syphon" (big ol' syringe+tube+racking cane) worked, but not as "clean" as it could be. I need to find a way to use this better, and not suck all the crap out of the bottom of the BK as I'm syphoning.

Things I don't really need but am dying to try out:

- A mini IC system, see how fast I can get the wort down.
- Oyxgen infusion for yeasties!
- Trading out buckets from the HD white 2gal's to something with some gradations on it - saw some 8qt food containers online I need to chase down.

Must purchase items within the next few brews:
- An accurate, reliable thermometer (ala Thermoworks). The meat thermometer puts me in the ball park, but I want a home run.
- A refractometer. Not that the hydrometer is bad, but it uses more product than I want to put in it. I'll do the math conversions. I'm good at math.

Already have another recipe lined up (another SMASH) courtasy of BrewTARGET and some help from the softwareware forum. Hope to get the grains/hop/yeast this week for the upcomming weekend.

Thanks again, gang. 1G Brewers have a new soldier.

SumBrewinDude

Old 11-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #3575
madman960
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Awesome dude.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #3576
JohnSand
Recipes 

Great! Good for you. I use a fabric paint strainer to get the last of the wort out of the pot. It also clogs, but I slosh it around a bit, then put it back in the kettle to weep for a few minutes. Costs about a buck at the paint store.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #3577
sumbrewindude
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 5

JohnSand - which paint bag are you using? For me BIAB side I used the 5gal one from HomeDepot which worked awesome (maybe too awesome) so the particulate that was in the wort was incredibly fine.

I did double mill the grain (per experiences on the BIAB forum), so I'm sure that had an effect on it.

I wonder if I get one of those metal coffee filters and pour through that? That should be finer than my paint bag, but no where near as fine as the inline milk filters.

I thought I saw a post on here too about biodesiel filters...

Keeping in mind, I fully under stand I'm never going to reach the level of clarity I see in an AB product (eg, water), but I don't want an ale to look like a hefe either. I'm only one batch in, but dang it I'm already planning ahead like a mad man.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #3578
JohnSand
Recipes 

I use the same ones that I use for BIAB. I don't use hop bags, so with the hot and cold break, there is plenty of gunk. Using the strainer still leaves the last of the wort a little cloudy, but strains out plenty too. You can improve clarity several other ways though. Cold crash your fermenter before bottling, or add clarity ferm or gelatin to clear it. It will clear up in the fermenter anyway, and you can be careful not to transfer trub into your bottles. I always leave the last bit in the bottle anyway, so I don't sweat it much.
Planning is fun, isn't it?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #3579
HopsterMacBrew
Recipes 

I going to brew my first BIAB and first small batch (1.5 gallons) on Friday - a dry stout! I've done several extract and partial mash 5-gallon batches but am finally making the switch. This forum has given me so much information... Sounds silly, but I'm actually really excited about this! Thanks, everyone - I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #3580
JohnSand
Recipes 

Cool.

Quick Reply