*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #3291
JohnSand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 658

I haven't tried a big enough beer to fear a blow off. Maybe a weight on the lid would keep it there, though some foam might run down the side. Using stainless, you could drill the lid for an airlock or blow-off tube. These are inexpensive pots, and thin. You could also find a vented lid, or use something else as a lid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #3292
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 963 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooglebass View Post
I've had issues with blow offs, that's why I asked. The lid don't seem like it would hold up to those to me, but I guess it does.

Also I made the coffee wine, but messed up a bit. I didn't add 2 lbs of sugar added 2 cups...and kept adding, I stopped at 10 to 12% abv
Sounds yummy.

Generally speaking, the lids allow pressure to escape so rapidly that you don't need a blowoff. Part of the reason you get a foam over is that co2 builds up in the brew faster then the airlock can allow it to escape. If the whole lid burps, it releases a whole lot more co2. Sort of the difference between stirring soda in a punch bowl, and shaking up the bottle.

I guess you could get a foam over in a pot, but I think you'd have to have left practically no head space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSand View Post
I haven't tried a big enough beer to fear a blow off. Maybe a weight on the lid would keep it there, though some foam might run down the side. Using stainless, you could drill the lid for an airlock or blow-off tube. These are inexpensive pots, and thin. You could also find a vented lid, or use something else as a lid.
You could also do this, they are cheap pots.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #3293
Ivypunx
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love one gallon brewing. Best way to work on experimental batches. And pretty mush the only way I do things like barley wines.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #3294
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivypunx
I love one gallon brewing. Best way to work on experimental batches. And pretty mush the only way I do things like barley wines.
My only problem is that I don't always have success scaling up. Great 1 gallon, then the 3 gallon version is just ok. Or not good at all. It might be easier to sanitize the 1gal glass jug than the bigger plastic.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #3295
Ivypunx
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
My only problem is that I don't always have success scaling up. Great 1 gallon, then the 3 gallon version is just ok. Or not good at all. It might be easier to sanitize the 1gal glass jug than the bigger plastic.

As long as your grain bill comes our the same, and you hop chart balances you should be good. If your interested, Beersmith 2 has a auto scale in the program that will scale it for you. I always plug my grain bill and hop chart into beer smith and scale it. I also plug it into the system as a 1 gallon, then as a 5 gallon. Just compare your gravities and your grain bill and hop chart

Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #3296
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw

I can't see sanitization being the problem. More likely it is a problem with the mash or boil. I'm betting one of those processes changes when you scale up.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #3297
Mooglebass
Recipes 

Picked this up today, was 7 bucks at meijer. Was thinking possibility of it.being dual purpose. Fermenting and bottling. I know the spigot wouldn't he great for fermenting, but I can always plug it.

forumrunner_20130720_182910.jpg

Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #3298
Dustinj
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks to my lhbs Amarillo Brew Supply I've got an all grain biab 1 gallon American IPA With maris otter and american 2 row, with a bit of crystal 20 and hopped with sorachi

Can't wait!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #3299
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinj View Post
Thanks to my lhbs Amarillo Brew Supply I've got an all grain biab 1 gallon American IPA With maris otter and american 2 row, with a bit of crystal 20 and hopped with sorachi

Can't wait!
That sure does sound like a winner, let us know how it turns out.

Ride Hard, Be Safe, and Brew Beer.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #3300
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm a 5 & 10 gallon brewer but want to do more experimentation this winter - I can just do BIAB for these batches but what's the easiest setup to go from grain to glass?

Is there an all in one fermenter that has a bottling spigot? Would one of those glass ice tea jugs work?

I'm worried about the whole racking and bottling taking too long. Do you use carbonation drops?

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Quick Reply