Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #3261
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I use that ac-100 and its a great little scale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #3262
Dustinj
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hey guys, I'm just getting into brewing. I have done one 1 gal extract and ordered a 1 gal extract kit of caribou slobber to keep going as I build up to 5 gal. But for now the 1 gal is fun and easy. Here's my question. I have a 5 gal crawfish pot that I'd like to do my 1 gal kit in so I can full boil. I also have a home built immersion cooler I could use in it as well. Is full boil ok for extract? Should I start with more than 1.25 gal like the recipe calls for? Say 1.5 gal or more?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #3263
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 784 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinj View Post
Hey guys, I'm just getting into brewing. I have done one 1 gal extract and ordered a 1 gal extract kit of caribou slobber to keep going as I build up to 5 gal. But for now the 1 gal is fun and easy. Here's my question. I have a 5 gal crawfish pot that I'd like to do my 1 gal kit in so I can full boil. I also have a home built immersion cooler I could use in it as well. Is full boil ok for extract? Should I start with more than 1.25 gal like the recipe calls for? Say 1.5 gal or more?
you are right that you will need go use more water to compensate for the boil off. Every pot/burner combo's rate is different, you'll have to test it. I'd guess you need close to 2 gals (note I usually boil 90min).

Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #3264
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have used the canning pot which I assume is what you have. Stoneware enamel? Either way I would bump it up depending on how long you want to boil for like Lab rat said. I am running a lot of all grain 1 gal right now and I am using a cheap 5 gal ss pot and I have been shooting for at least 2 gal for just the 60min boil. The big question is what fermenter are you going to use. 1 gallon carlos rossi jug or larger then a gallon. If you are using larger then no problem if you over shoot you starting and ending volume as you will just have either a slightly weaker beer or slightly stronger beer. Just make sure you poor some water in your pot and see where your 1 gallon, 2 gallon, and 3 gallon levels are so you can know what you are starting at and what you are aiming for at the end. I have a marked spoon for this so I can know where I am in volume versus gravity checks to make sure I am on par with my target. Good luck. Had the slobber a while back and it was pretty tasty.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #3265
Dustinj
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks guys. I used my 1 gallon carbouy to mark my levels today. It's a 5 gal stainless pot. These extract kits are pretty cheap so if I go over it will be ok. I'm going to start with 2 gallons to be safe I think and see what happens. I'm going with a 60 minute full boil.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #3266
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

When I did my last couple of small batches I did something new. With both batches I filtered through some large coffee filters. The last batch, coffee wine ironically, I bottled six 22 oz bombers. The last one was short, about 16 oz instead of 22. The initial batch volume was exactly 1 gallon. So I harvested 126 oz of a possible 128 oz. I did bottle the hydrometer sample, and only took a tiny sip to see where it was for flavor. Filtering through the coffee filters lets me pour the whole thing into the filter, trub and all. Coffee wine doesn't generate much trub though, so you would probably still get higher loss numbers making beer.

Happy brewing.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #3267
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Just opened a couple bottles of an APA I brewed in that Brewdemon fermentor I bought, they turned out great. Going to brew a 2 gallon Cream Ale in it tomorrow. I'm really likeing that fermentor, worked really well. Might just order another one.

Ride Hard, Be Safe, and Brew Beer.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3268
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBrewer View Post
Just opened a couple bottles of an APA I brewed in that Brewdemon fermentor I bought, they turned out great. Going to brew a 2 gallon Cream Ale in it tomorrow. I'm really likeing that fermentor, worked really well. Might just order another one.
I payed 5 dollars at winco for a water jug and took a drill to the top lid and forced a airlock through it. The jug is 5 gallon and slightly opaque with gallon marks from 1-5. I was looking at the brewdemon but at the number of batches I am cranking out it was smarter to buy 6 5 gallon jugs then one 2 gallon. They look like cool little conicals though. It is virtually a conical mr beer right?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #3269
jgm038
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys, another small brewer here.
First batch was Mr B. Classic American Light...After 4 weeks still not ready
Have a 1 gal batch of NB Caribou Slobber in bottles conditiong
Have another 1 gal batch NB Caribou Slobber in the fermenter, should be bottled soon
Also have a NB White House Honey Ale waiting to be bottled..

On deck I am going to make my own Pilsner with Mr. B Grand Bohemian Pilsner, some UME, and some Czech Saaz Hops...

1 gal is good for me..I only drink alot of beer maybe once a month, besides that I will just have a beer or two every now and then...

Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #3270
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughandReadyRanch View Post
I payed 5 dollars at winco for a water jug and took a drill to the top lid and forced a airlock through it. The jug is 5 gallon and slightly opaque with gallon marks from 1-5. I was looking at the brewdemon but at the number of batches I am cranking out it was smarter to buy 6 5 gallon jugs then one 2 gallon. They look like cool little conicals though. It is virtually a conical mr beer right?
Yep, that's basicly what it is. I like the fact that I can bottlle right out of the fermentor too using carb tabs. It does have a option of using a no vented lid and a regular airlock. A little on the pricey side but very convenient.

Ride Hard, Be Safe, and Brew Beer.

Quick Reply