*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #3051
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 963 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
D you freeze and thaw to get rid of the "nasties" instead of cooking the fruit?
Home freezers don't freeze very quickly. So you get lots of ice crystals that are large enough to poke holes in the cells. That way you get much more liquid, and flavor, out of the same amount of fruit.

Steaming fruit that tends to oxidize, like apples, will keep them from discoloring. It also cuts down on the surface bugs.

That process produces an entirely different set of flavor compounds then cooking the fruit.

You would generally add fruit processed like this after fermentation had stopped. A vigorous fermentation destroys a large portion of the flavor you are trying to preserve with the above method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #3052
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55
Finally finished my first ever home brew. All-grain, 1-gallon batch. Turned out great!
Awesome label dude!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #3053
musicalwillard
Recipes 

While looking for supplies in town today, I was told by someone that it would be nearly impossible to brew a 1-gal batch of beer or wine. He also told me I would need to go to Bangor to get the supplies I'd need because the local health food store would have all I needed. Alas, I found the S-airlock I was specifically informed would not be there. What an interesting day.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #3054
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Honestly don't understand why any one would say you can't brew 1 gallon batches unless they want you to buy 5 gallon equipment. I started with a Brooklyn brew shop kit,and have since then bought 3 more 1 gallon jugs and airlock, along with nylon tubing from hardware stores for blow off tubes,and some large pots at Big Lots for sparging and so on. I'm on my 7th gallon batch so far with great success .

Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #3055
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 29

My wife likes the Carlo Rossi sangria, so I get the one gallon jug and save it once the wine is gone.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #3056
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 963 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Bless me brothers for I have sinned. I thought to keep my shame within my own walls, but I find I cannot bare the burden of it any longer. I have not brewed a 1 gallon batch in more then two months. In that time, I have compounded my sin by brewing two 4.5 gallon batches and a 2 gallon batch. Please forgive me my brothers for I have erred.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #3057
jongrill
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A few weeks ago I brewed a one gallon hefeweizen that I decided to add cherries too in a secondary. On Sunday I transferred the Hefe from its bucket to a one gallon jug over the cherries!

I used a small can of Oregon dark sweet cherries. Not knowing really what I was doing....I have never used a fruit yet...I poured the whole can syrup and all into the jug. It turned the beer beet red...not a big deal..however today I discovered that the beer was actively fermenting again. Im worried this is going to negatively affect the beer somehow.

So, did I mess this up?

image-3755728522.jpg   image-153058147.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #3058
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 653

No, the sugar in the cherries have activated the yeast again. It will ferment out, lowering your FG and thin the beer a bit. No worries though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrill View Post
A few weeks ago I brewed a one gallon hefeweizen that I decided to add cherries too in a secondary. On Sunday I transferred the Hefe from its bucket to a one gallon jug over the cherries!

I used a small can of Oregon dark sweet cherries. Not knowing really what I was doing....I have never used a fruit yet...I poured the whole can syrup and all into the jug. It turned the beer beet red...not a big deal..however today I discovered that the beer was actively fermenting again. Im worried this is going to negatively affect the beer somehow.

So, did I mess this up?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #3059
drat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517

It goes in the beginning, wort on top of it then pitch yeast.
But aren't you losing a lot of the flavor by doing so?

Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #3060
drat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
Home freezers don't freeze very quickly. So you get lots of ice crystals that are large enough to poke holes in the cells. That way you get much more liquid, and flavor, out of the same amount of fruit.

Steaming fruit that tends to oxidize, like apples, will keep them from discoloring. It also cuts down on the surface bugs.

That process produces an entirely different set of flavor compounds then cooking the fruit.

You would generally add fruit processed like this after fermentation had stopped. A vigorous fermentation destroys a large portion of the flavor you are trying to preserve with the above method.
So do you steam first and then freeze or the other way around? Also, if freeze and then steam, what do you find the best way to steam?

Quick Reply