Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
Seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Normally I brew 5.5 gallon batches ... but when I'm trying to deconstruct a commercial beer I will brew smaller (1 to 3 gallon) batches so I can test out different yeast/hops combinations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #22
heckler73
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

my pot's not big enough for a full boil (extract and grains steeping), but I've been contemplating how to test it out. thanks for the solution.

So, instead of boiling the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch and topping up my fermentor with water, I would boil half the usual ingredients for 2.5 gallon batch that then doesn't get topped up with water, correct?

What's the affect my half full bucket and carboy will have? Will there be too much air in the top half?

My drinking habits say I should stick with 5 gallon batches - can I do two half batches to get a full boil out of my half sized pot?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #23
plainbrad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
In fact I'm looking for some 1 gallon wine jugs as we speak.
Now, I wanna find a 1G jug. Would probably work great for some extra grains and hops I have around.

1/5th the amounts of yeast too?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Gigan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I'm tired of the 1 gallon brewers speaking ill of us who brew one pint at a time... In all honesty, I think Ill give a gallon brew day a whirl actually!

In Keg Now: Skeezer's "Zombie Dust Clone"
Primary: Gigan's "Tell Tale Pale Ale"

Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've started to do 2.5 gallon stove top batches. Very handy because it fills 12 22oz bottles. This way I can brew more beers when my kegerator and pipeline are all full.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckler73
my pot's not big enough for a full boil (extract and grains steeping), but I've been contemplating how to test it out. thanks for the solution.

So, instead of boiling the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch and topping up my fermentor with water, I would boil half the usual ingredients for 2.5 gallon batch that then doesn't get topped up with water, correct?

What's the affect my half full bucket and carboy will have? Will there be too much air in the top half?

My drinking habits say I should stick with 5 gallon batches - can I do two half batches to get a full boil out of my half sized pot?
IMHO I would go with 5 gallon batches with top off than 2.5 full boil.

Also keep in mind boil off rate. This varies by pot, temp and time you boil. Mine is about a gallon to gallon and a half, so a full boil I start between 6-7 gallons. Cooling this is fun if you only have ice.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
ScoRas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm going to move into all grain with small batches, and keep making 5 gallon extract batches of the first IPA I just made as a staple.

Primary - hopbursted Bohemian Pilsner

http://hopville.com/recipe/1687697

Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
amd133mhz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just finished up my first 2 gallon batch. Mr IPA. my lhbs designed it to be used with mr beer equip, rather than a can and sugar its the same concept as brewers best, hops dry malt grains. Tons of fun. cant wait to see how it turns out

Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #29
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Yay for small batches!

love love LOVE small batches. Just put a 12 pack (16 oz) in the fridge of a double brew I did that is easily my best work, I almost drank it uncarbed! Just bottled a 12 of the same recipe Friday night and it smelled and tasted horrible!! I am hoping time heals all but my first thought was man I am glad this is not 100 beers and $100 worth of ingredients.

I have done so many tiny experiments with my recipes because I do 1 gallon. Fermenting at 61, 65, 59, etc. Adding allspice, not adding allspice. On and on, I have done nearly 30 variations of my IIPA and instead of wondering, what if I did this or that, I just go brew it. The price point is fantastic for really honing in your creativity.

And I hate the "work" arguement. I love bottles of my beer, and I could easily counter argue that me vs a 5-galloner bottling a double batch is "too much work" for me.

I also don't want to flame or start a fight, but some responses to posts on here make no sense. People state specifically they are in an apartment or small space and people still respond that they should go 5 gallon because "they will be there anyway." So I see the point of your post. Sometimes its space, sometimes its financials...but sometimes its because WE ACTUALLY LIKE 1 gallon brewing.

I have no fear of moving or dropping a carboy, I could cradle it like a football if I wanted. I got a microwave above my stove so I literally can only go to 2 gallons anyway. As for outside brewing...yes I am a wuss. Being in the Northeast this can really be a drag, even though we had no winter this year. I can brew anyday of the year and that appeals to me. My wife is forcing me to go up to 5 gallon (at least 3 gallons), giving me the credit card and free range to get whatever I want and I am still hesitent. I simply enjoy 1 gallon and experimenting in with small variables with 1 or 2 brews until I get exactly what I want. I dont need to rely on advice, I just go try it. I've even done split batches of a 1 gallon to test different yeast and dry hopping techniques. I just would never end up as experienced as I am if I started with 5 gallons.

I was at a craft bar a few weeks ago and talked to a fellow brewer of 15 years who does extract. I asked if he considered going all grain and he said it was a space and money issue. I brought up smaller batches and he hadn't even thought of that!

Edit- I also like that smaller batches make the beer more "celebratory" I only get a few so I brew for occations (the 12 pack is for my first born in two weeks!) And I simply do not drink at the rate of other homebrewers. Its still a cultural shock for me that grown men can consume 20+ beers a week and consider that normal...not saying its a problem but its not for me. I'd rather buy 3 bombers of the best beers I can get in town than a case of anything, including great beer...thats a great Friday night for me.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #30
Flatspin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've done a few one gallon batches before, they are a great way to do side by side comparisons of different ingredients. So usually when I make a one gallon batch I will do 2 or 3 in a day, although once I did six - that was a long day of brewing, but I definitely got a system down. And it's great to have a variety pack so that you can choose what to drink on any given night.

Here's a neat trick that I have found. Go out and by a gallon jug of water (either distilled and add salts or just buy spring water), use that for the boil. After the boil is complete, you can pour the wort back into the jug. The amount of boil-off is about right for the head space during fermentation. Just drill a hole in the cap and fix a cheap aquarium tube with a few rubber bands as a blowoff tube.

If you have a large rectangular cooler that isn't being used as a mash tun, you can add a few inches of cool water and fit up to six jugs in there to ferment. This works really well for fermentation temp control.

Quick Reply