Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #2671
Jbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
This.

Sure, you just need a food grade vessel the right size you can stick an airlock on. I use an old 1 gallon juice jug all the time.
Yea sounds good. I'll use my growler. I just don't see a need to use my 2gallon pale if i don't have too and let it clear In the growler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #2672
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird View Post
Yea sounds good. I'll use my growler. I just don't see a need to use my 2gallon pale if i don't have too and let it clear In the growler.
Just watch out for the blowoff.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #2673
Jbird
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
Just watch out for the blowoff.
Oh yea true.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #2674
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
How do you guys handle blow off in your 1 gallon fermentation vessels?
I'd love to brew a big IIPA or RIS but I'm afraid I would see massive blow off if I pitched a healthy amount of yeast with the limited headspace.
You'd be suprised...I just did a DIPA close to 9% and the krausen never reached the top. Temp control is important. I did my at 59 degrees. Also, the yeast type is another one to consider. Notty blows like a volcano, and while I love notty, 05 is far less violent and does just as good a job

I also did a Barleywine that week, at 10% I knew I would get some blowoff, so I simply planned for it by putting in about 1.15 gallons (halfway up the curve of the carboy). Surprisingly the blowoff wasn't that bad and the beer level is still above the 1 gallon mark. I realize I will have a ton of krausen in the neck but I can live with that

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #2675
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I fermented in my growler. It was ok, except I wanted to refill it at the local brewery more than once in the couple months it was tied up!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #2676
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird View Post
So your saying you can?
I meant yes. A growler with a stopper and airlock or tube. I use 1-gallon glass jugs that had cider in them. I think a half-gallon would be too small to be worth it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #2677
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrill View Post
Does that help?
That is bigger than the ones I used. I split them lengthwise and scraped the seeds out, then chopped the shell into pieces and put it in a 1/2 cup of vodka for a week. Then dumped it all in the primary. I left it for a week, and it seemed pretty strong at bottling. Haven't tried it yet - next week.

This is the second batch of stout with vanilla because the first one got infected. I think it is because I put the vanilla bean in without vodka - just split it and scraped it and threw it all in secondary. Maybe the bean had bacteria, maybe the secondary or hose did... who knows. But the first batch tasted really strong after 2 weeks, that's why I only did it a week.

So for 1 gallon, that bean might be too much or it might be what you want. Mine was stout, and I don't know how well that masks the flavor compared to something lighter, or if it accentuates it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #2678
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Does anyone use the 1 Gallon jugs of Apple Cider from Whole Foods to do brewing? It looks very similar to the jug you get from the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit.

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #2679
raining_turtles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
Does anyone use the 1 Gallon jugs of Apple Cider from Whole Foods to do brewing? It looks very similar to the jug you get from the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit.
I use them as my primarys and secondarys and have a ton since they are one of the only juices not from concentrate readily available out there that's not super expensive (wife is on a diet that restricts not from concentrate). The juice in them makes pretty decent cider as well, just seems to take forever to clear.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #2680
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raining_turtles View Post
I use them as my primarys and secondarys and have a ton since they are one of the only juices not from concentrate readily available out there that's not super expensive (wife is on a diet that restricts not from concentrate). The juice in them makes pretty decent cider as well, just seems to take forever to clear.
Looks like a WF trip is in order then this weekend.

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Quick Reply