Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #2561
jwalk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Hey jwalk.. Not an expert but I love Nottingham. It usually finishes up quick in 3-4 days and cleans up a beer very nice. Great choice in that stout!
Phew! That's a relief. I was afraid my efforts were.... all for 'Nott'!

*waits for laughter*

*cough*

Anyways, yeah, I was just surprised at the lack of krausen, not a real problem that I've had before. But I'm really pumped about it!

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #2562
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Forgive me if this has been discussed already in the previous 256 pages of this thread... but is anyone doing any barrel-aging with 1-gallon batches? I've seen some 2liter and 5liter oak barrels for sale lately (not too expensive). Might be good for aging small batches.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #2563
dtfleming
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore714 View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed already in the previous 256 pages of this thread... but is anyone doing any barrel-aging with 1-gallon batches? I've seen some 2liter and 5liter oak barrels for sale lately (not too expensive). Might be good for aging small batches.

Where did you see those?

Serving: Busta Nutz, Apple Pie mead, Gingerbread ale, Christmas Ale
Bottled:Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Czech Pilsner
Primary:Irish Red ale, Dunkelweizen, Mixed berry mead
Secondary:
Future Brews:ESB, Tripe IPA,Patersbier, Mosaic SMaSH, Chocolate meadl

Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #2564
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Was looking for a 5-gallon barrel on Barrel Source, and I found several smaller ones. Considering buying this combo deal when I get my tax refund. The 5-liter barrels could hold a little over 1 gallon each... and I could use the bonus little guy to age some whiskey or something.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #2565
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore714 View Post
Was looking for a 5-gallon barrel on Barrel Source, and I found several smaller ones. Considering buying this combo deal when I get my tax refund. The 5-liter barrels could hold a little over 1 gallon each... and I could use the bonus little guy to age some whiskey or something.
Oh wow am I tempted. I've been wanting to try some barrel aging for cider and mead for a while now.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #2566
Scottie61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There is also http://www.barrelsonline.com/Default.aspx, among others.

I have other questions on these, such as, can you reuse them? Would you have to sand out the interior and rechar the inside to reuse it?

I have only done three brews and an Apfelwine so far, and three of those four are still fermenting, so I'm pretty new. The first brew I used Cooper's yeast that was supplied with the kit, but the next two and the Apfel I used Nottingham. The brews were basically Cooper's hopped extract with extra DME and sugars added and I got loads of krausen with those, and had to use a blow-off tube for the first three days, and then switch to a standard airlock.

The Apfelwine, not much for krausen, just a little foam at the top, and have been using a regular airlock from the beginning. Plenty of bubbling.

Scottie

Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #2567
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie61 View Post
I have other questions on these, such as, can you reuse them? Would you have to sand out the interior and rechar the inside to reuse it?
Scottie
You can re-use barrels. Its not possible (or necessary) to take them apart to clean them between uses though. There are ways to sanitize them if you need to. The whole point of barrel aging (for me) would be for sour beers. There, the draw is for the bacteria and wild yeasts to innoculate the porous would of the barrel so future batches get more and more complex and tasty.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #2568
dm1217
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wonder if anyone else has considered using a wine fridge/cooler for a 1 gallon jug. Seems like those would be perfect for locking in ale temps (if there's one out there with the dimensions). If anyone has info on this please let me know, or send me a PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #2569
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore714
Very cool deal on those barrels. Wish I had more room now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1217
Wonder if anyone else has considered using a wine fridge/cooler for a 1 gallon jug. Seems like those would be perfect for locking in ale temps (if there's one out there with the dimensions). If anyone has info on this please let me know, or send me a PM.
Lots of folks use a wine fridge for cooling. I actually do as well. Vissani 52 from depot. Check sales as they come down to less than $125 a couple times a year and dinged models below 100. There's also a whole thread on bypassing their stat and installing a whole digital controller. I plug mine into an eBay STC-1000 aquarium controller. Costs about $22 shipped from China and works excellent!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #2570
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Belma belma belma.....I have a hop addiction

Quick Reply