1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Little Big Mouth Bubbler (the plastic, but not the glass one with the spigot) for one-gallon batches. These days, though, I'm pretty much exclusively fermenting in 1.75, 2.5, and/or 3-gallon kegs.

I've done many 2.5-gallon batches in 5+-gallon fermenters with no ill effects. Fermentation generates a great deal of CO2, and you're going to clear out that headspace pretty fast and pretty thoroughly. The situation might change if you were doing a mid- or late-fermentation dry hop, I suppose.

For you small-batch brewers (1-gal or 2.5-gal), what are you fermenting in?
I have 2 pairs of Little BMBs, (glass), a pair of 2 gal pails, and a 3 gal (plastic) carboy.

Most of my recipes are in the 1.75 (pails) or 2.5 gal (carboy) range. The Little BMBs are useful for split batches (1.25 gal going into the fermenter).

I also have a number of 12 qt dish pan bins. One of their many uses is providing handles for the Little BMBs (as well as the pails and carboy).
1692445293570.png

The 1 gal carboys are useful for holding sanitizer.

3.5 gal Ss Brewtech bucket. Yes can be messy when filled to 3 gal. So try to limit @ 2 to 2.5. Also have cooling coil in top for fermentation temp control. Good system when combined with larger fermenter for big batches or stand alone for new recipes.
20230813_122350_04.jpg

Forgive me asking questions that may have already been answered in this thread, but WOW—187 pages of posts, dating back to 2012! (I did search first, though, and am not finding my answer.)

For you small-batch brewers (1-gal or 2.5-gal), what are you fermenting in? I understand BIAB instead of using a separate MLT, and a smaller kettle is a no-brainer. But do you ferment in a full-size carboy? I've read that the extra headroom (especially if a 1-gal batch in a 5-gal carboy, for example) can negatively affect your beer. Conversely, fermenting a 1-gal batch in a 1-gal jug seems like just asking for trouble (krausen overflow).

ETA: Sorry, search fail. I found some answers after trying another search. But would still be interested in thoughts about excessive headroom in a carboy (say, 2.5-gal batch in 5- or 6.5-gal carboy).
For 1 gallon batches I use the plastic 1.4 gallon Northern Brewer Little Big Mouth Bubblers which have been working great. For 2-3 gallon batches I have a couple of 3 gallon Fermonsters I'm planning on using, and I also have a 4 gallon Anvil Bucket. And I have some bigger stuff (NB Reactor and a couple of 5 gallon Big Mouth Bubblers) for larger batches.

All that's to say that I like having fermenters that are the right size for the batch. :)

I've read mixed info about the too much headroom issue but consensus seems to be in the extreme it could be detrimental. Doing a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon fermenter? Probably fine. Doing a 1 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon fermenter? Probably want to avoid that.

For those who choose to troubleshoot rather than switch to something else, there's an interesting topic on siphons / auto-siphons over here (link), including some "new to me" approaches that I haven't seen in 8+ years I've been home brewing.

This seems like a long dead thread now, but has anyone tried or seen the 1 gallon unitank on the back of Zymurgy last month? I do 5 and 10 gallon batches typically but want to start experimenting new recipes in 1 gallon size vs making a terrible batch of 5 gallons (I cannot bring myself to just dump them lol) :). I've not found very much as far as reviews go and was curious if anyone had any experience with it.

The last page of the Nov/Dec digital magazine was an ad for the "uni" by Craft Master.

Is this the product you are referring to? The Uni - Combo Unitank & Growler For Small Batch Craft Beer

Ugh, $435 (after shipping) for a 1 gallon unitank is WAY too much money imo. You can get a 1.5 gallon slimline Torpedo keg w/ floating dip tube for $118 from More Beer and have a half gallon of extra headroom, plus free shipping. I mentioned the Slimline because it's a slightly taller keg so that might benefit using a floating dip tube more than in the shorter standard Torpedo keg.

This seems like a long dead thread now
I think everybody has converted over to brewing 1 gallon batches, and they are all busy drinking the wide variety of beers they have made. :)

I believe that mini growler/fermenter was mentioned at one point in this thread. It is definitely priced at as a luxury item. I wonder how many of them have been sold.

I need to get back into brewing some 1-gallon (ish)sized batches. I recently added a 1-gallon ManCan growler with ball lock attachments to my equipment. So far I have only used it once to take beer to a party (transferred from a larger keg). I also picked up three 1.75 gal kegs (a friend was picking up some items from a Craigslist sale; these were listed as "1 gallon kegs" for $55 each; I was hoping they were actually 1 gallon kegs but figured they were likely larger).

This seems like a long dead thread now, but has anyone tried or seen the 1 gallon unitank on the back of Zymurgy last month? I do 5 and 10 gallon batches typically but want to start experimenting new recipes in 1 gallon size vs making a terrible batch of 5 gallons (I cannot bring myself to just dump them lol) :). I've not found very much as far as reviews go and was curious if anyone had any experience with it.
Looked at it yes.
But at that price I can buy a few normal 1 gallon kegs ferment in them and transfer under pressure should the fancy take me.
That said many of us still brew one gallon in our glass fermenters and bottle.

Looked at it yes.
But at that price I can buy a few normal 1 gallon kegs ferment in them and transfer under pressure should the fancy take me.
That said many of us still brew one gallon in our glass fermenters and bottle.

I've been slowly building up my connection of small kegs (2 - 2.5 gallon) with the same idea.

A gallon of Scottish light bottled and a Belgian single that should be in the fermenter later today.
New year's resolution was to make time for hobbies, so going to try and brew atleast twice a month.

What makes a "Scottish Light". Is it just a lighter gravity Scottish ale? Looks tasty, so I'm curious.

Question for those doing test batches. I have a couple of the little big mouth bubbler fermenters. Great they are, but...I am doing test batches of Pils, lagers, marzen, and festbiers. I have found that it isn't an issue using the equipment, but I use a Tilt to monitor fermentation. Instead of buying a bunch of Tilts, I would like to get the Tilt out of the fermenter and let these test batches lager.

OK, so, with the little big mouth, I would have to open and close the lid letting in O2 in order to pull the Tilt. Since the fermenter actually holds 1.4 gal and I fill 1.25 gal there is a lot of headspace. Is this an issue? Anyone have a similar situation with recommendations? I had thought about just bottling w/o carbing just yet, but there is still some O2 issues.

Appreciate any help.

Under normal circumstances, I would either just leave the Tilt in or not use the Tilt at all for beers that need to lager or age (I usually just leave it in). However, if these are only small “test batches”, the risk is not as big.

A lot of people still transfer to a secondary, so look at it like that. There’s actually less risk since you are not actually moving the beer. Just sanitize some tongs, grab the Tilt and close it back up.

Should have gotten the siphonless LBMB. Plastic version on sale now at both Midwest and Northern Brewer.
As far as the siphonless LBMB’s go, I’d go with the plastic over the glass version. I prefer stainless steel or glass fermenters, but I own(ed) two of the glass versions and the glass cracked where they drilled the hole for the spigot.

I still have two of the ones without the spigot and they are still going stong.

Should have gotten the siphonless LBMB. Plastic version on sale now at both Midwest and Northern Brewer.
those are the ones I have. I have a small issue of not getting all equipment I need. I still need to get a hose to bottle with :(.

As far as the siphonless LBMB’s go, I’d go with the plastic over the glass version. I prefer stainless steel or glass fermenters, but I own(ed) two of the glass versions and the glass cracked where they drilled the hole for the spigot.

I still have two of the ones without the spigot and they are still going stong.
Ixnay on the igotspay. I had a glass LBMB literally fall apart in my hands. Not hurt, but of course the batch was completely lost.

For that matter, ixnay on assglay in general.

On a related note, I think I still have a couple of spigoted LBMBs I’d be happy to give away…

OK, so, with the little big mouth, I would have to open and close the lid letting in O2 in order to pull the Tilt. Since the fermenter actually holds 1.4 gal and I fill 1.25 gal there is a lot of headspace. Is this an issue?

I'm only adding a bit to previous posts, but:
  • It goes without saying that leaving the Tilts in should be fine for the beer over time; I assume you want them out for other beers, which is totally fair
  • Given the headspace, I'd personally be concerned about oxygen in the headspace damaging the beer if you were to open the lid, reach in, and pull the Tilt(s) out
    • Possible ways to address this:
    • You could try to CO2-purge the headspace before adding the lid back
    • A sketchier play would be to add fresh yeast to try to scavenge any O2. This is theoretically possible, but I wouldn't actually suggest you try this - I doubt the scavenging would be all that fast/complete? No idea
    • Finally, you could toss in an O2 scavenger like those LODO freaks do, but again, no idea what the efficacy would be
  • The simpler alt would be to rack to a secondary (perhaps a CO2-purged keg) and pulling the Tilts off the lees
    • If you rack into bottles and bottle condition, the yeast should help scavenge O2 picked up in racking; this is generally true, of course, but I figured I'd mention it since we're talking O2
  • Either way, I personally find it fairly difficult (though, for me, increasingly totally possible!) to forestall oxidation of beers, particularly pale or hoppy ones, at our tiny scale, so I'd recommend drinking the beer within like a month or two if you rack w/o bottling w/ yeast (which, again, should scavenge O2 picked up in the process)

OK, so, with the little big mouth, I would have to open and close the lid letting in O2 in order to pull the Tilt. Since the fermenter actually holds 1.4 gal and I fill 1.25 gal there is a lot of headspace. Is this an issue? Anyone have a similar situation with recommendations? I had thought about just bottling w/o carbing just yet, but there is still some O2 issues.
Have you seen this (link)?

I'm only adding a bit to previous posts, but:
  • It goes without saying that leaving the Tilts in should be fine for the beer over time; I assume you want them out for other beers, which is totally fair
I do. I can only do two at a time and I have one on a 5-gal batch. I now have two more Tilts on the way :)
  • If you rack into bottles and bottle condition, the yeast should help scavenge O2 picked up in racking; this is generally true, of course, but I figured I'd mention it since we're talking O2
That was my first option. I was unsure about the space in the bottles without carbing so I was just going to bottle, keep in the fridge for a short lager and then pull them out to carb. 🤷‍♂️

For 2024 (and beyond), these podcasts are a good starting point for "oxygen management".
  • BrewFiles podcast 160
  • BeerSmith podcast 293
  • BeerSmith podcast 269
There are probably other podcasts as well.

Back