New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #2451
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatbagel View Post
looking to get into the brew game via the 1-gallon route.

which would better serve me.
And I would vote for the other kit, between the two, mainly because I use the 2-gallon buckets as primaries. You can do batches slightly larger than 1 gal and have to worry a little less about blow offs. 5 gallon recipes scale nicely to 1.25 gal (5/4) and should yield you almost a full 12-pack.

I do still need to pick up a couple 1 gal carboys for upcoming batches that I want to bulk age though.

Both kits should get you started with some minor additions though. Different strokes...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #2452
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
And welcome to the forum!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #2453
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Small batching must be getting more and more popular as my latest visit to Morebeer had a nice display of one gallon jugs, 3 gallon jugs and mini kegs! Good sign!!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #2454
lumpy5oh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

which would better serve me.

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-750/1-Gallon-Brewer%27s-Best/Detail

or the brooklyn brewshop 1 gallon kit.

thanks guys.
Here is another one. Shipping is pretty high if you are in Canada.

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #2455
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Brooklyn Brew Shop is pretty cool as they put you right into the all-grain arena. It's a really good starter kit. I would probably check in on the priming sugar as the recommended sugar is way too much, but otherwise a great gate-way kit. You will be addicted to homebrew after using their kits.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #2456
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
Brooklyn Brew Shop is pretty cool as they put you right into the all-grain arena. It's a really good starter kit. I would probably check in on the priming sugar as the recommended sugar is way too much, but otherwise a great gate-way kit. You will be addicted to homebrew after using their kits.
Thunder Chicken - a few questions on the Everyday IPA. Did you pretty much stick to the BBS script, such as fermenting two weeks? If so, what was your FG?

I did a fermentation two weeks, the first few day in my dining room where ambient temp hit near 72, then the remainder in the basement where it is more mid-60s. Now I have had it sitting on my porch (in Minnesota) for a Cold Crash since Sunday - temps mostly in the 20s, but may have been high 30s to 40 for a bit the last two afternoons.

I will probably bring it in in the morning to settle on a shelf before attempting bottling. However, I am bit concerned that the color a bit darker than I expected - more like a "black tea" than iced-tea. Just wondering.

Also, your comment about bottling sugar: did you use honey like the recipe suggests, and if so, how much? Any particular suggestions?

My first BBS batch was a Chocolate Maple Porter - following the BBS recipe book instructions using 3 tablespoons maple syrup seemed to over carbonate many of the bottles resulting in more beer on my ceiling than inside my glass.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #2457
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do all you 1-gallon brewers use pretty much the same method for bottling? bottling bucket with spigot? Do you use a different vessel rather than the typical 5-6gallon bottling buckets that are out there?

also, for all-grain brewers..any problems with holding mash temps for a long enough period of time?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #2458
TCGoose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I usually rack to my brew pot, mix with priming sugar, then siphon into bottles. Spigot would be easier and would work as well.

I put my "mash tun" (also the brew pot) into a warm oven (150F ish) to keep the temps for an hours. Works very well.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #2459
gavcoop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I recently bottled my first one gallon batch and just brewed the Brooklyn Brewshop Everyday IPA.
One gallon brewing is damned addictive.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #2460
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavcoop View Post
I recently bottled my first one gallon batch and just brewed the Brooklyn Brewshop Everyday IPA.
One gallon brewing is damned addictive.
Brewing something to drink.
Drinking something you brewed.
Repeat.

Quick Reply