The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #2381
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing

I wouldn't do that.

We're I doing multiple batches I would make different, but similar, beers using similar ingredients.

Like a brown, a porter, and a stout.

Something like that.
Dads, he's just talking about splitting a larger brew into smaller brews then back to one fermenter,

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #2382
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4

All yeast is weak if it has been in the package too long. What were the dates on it?

Also, if your beer was 1.060 OG, then textbooks would tell you to make a starter. Although, many of us on here will pitch dry if the yeast is healthy
(Myself included).

So I imagine your problem is a combination of the two factors. Maybe old, or mistreated yeast, coupled with a > 1.050 OG.
I don't think you realized you were posting on the 1-gallon thread. Regardless, you should NEVER make a starter with a dry yeast, even on a 5-gal batch.

Dry yeast are packaged so they are primed for reproduction. Making a starter will just loose that boost. IF you need more than 1 pack, just pitching a second pack is both cheaper and more effective.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #2383
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
I don't think you realized you were posting on the 1-gallon thread.
True, lapse in judgement. Starter for 1 gallon would be dumb.

However, I will still stand up for myself and say you could at least rehydrate it. How else would you know if your yeast package was a dud before you pitched?

Packaged yeast can, and will go bad. I pitched some dud Coopers ale yeast 3 weeks ago on my brown ale. After a week of no action I went to another store and bought another pack. Rehydrated it to make sure it was good, and took off like a shot.

On a side note, had a few of my pale ales last night. OH MY GOD was it ever good. I just wanted to brag a lil.

Fermenter 1 - Centennial Pale Ale
Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #2384
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy
What did you use to measure your final gravity with?
A hydrometer.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #2385
ericbw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4

All yeast is weak if it has been in the package too long. What were the dates on it?

Also, if your beer was 1.060 OG, then textbooks would tell you to make a starter. Although, many of us on here will pitch dry if the yeast is healthy
(Myself included).

So I imagine your problem is a combination of the two factors. Maybe old, or mistreated yeast, coupled with a > 1.050 OG.
I don't remember checking the date. In the store, it is on a shelf, not refrigerated. At home, I keep it in the freezer and take it out when I get ready to start.

I wasn't expecting the OG to be so high. Got better efficiency than I expected (first time with all grain).

I did rehydrate, and it got off to a good start within hours, used a blowoff for 1 day then switched to an airlock. It bubbled about a day.

Sounds like you might be right about mishandled yeast or old yeast. I should check that to be sure.

This was also the first time I have used Muntons. Never had a problem with Coopers except a sour taste (not sure if that's yeast or a specialty grain or something worse).

For a beer with >1.050, should I just pitch the whole packet? (For a gallon).

Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #2386
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny
It just needed to be said.

That rocks!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #2387
jwalk4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
For a beer with >1.050, should I just pitch the whole packet? (For a gallon).
No, to be honest, it kind of sounds like a one off. If Mrmalty recommends 2 grams of dry yeast, then pitch accordingly. Also, enter the production date if you can find it. That way you'll know the viability of your yeast.

It is odd that the fermentation began and then stopped. What temps did you mash at? What temp was the beer fermented at?

Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #2388
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Okay. My math is VERY rusty. I've found some recipes I want to try, but they all are 5 gal recipes. Does the ibrewmaster app break down recipes to smaller ones? Is it best/easiest just to weigh each ingredient then divide that by five to get proper weight?

@kentuckeye

Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #2389
ericbw
Recipes 

Best before 4 2014. Should be pretty new?

I mashed at 155 for an hour. Temps fluctuated some between 155-160. That will make it sweeter and attenuate less, right? That could be part of it, too, maybe?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #2390
jwalk4
Recipes 

Yeah, that's fine yeast. Unless it was mistreated in shipping / at the store or something. But if the fermentation started well, then I suspect the yeast is not to blame.

And yes, as I understand it, the higher you mash then the sweeter the beer will be because higher temperatures will result in less starch conversion and leave the beer with more unfermentable dextrines. Now, that being said, I still don't think that would cause a beer to wrap up at 1.028.

Fermenter 2 - Nothing
Drinking - Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply