Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #2311
dtfleming
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dtfleming's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westminster, Maryland
Posts: 110
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Has anyone tried the AHS 1 gal recipes?

__________________
dtfleming is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #2312
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 710
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default

I been doing 5 gallon BIAB on a propane burner since this spring. Lately it's been really cold and windy so holding mash temps outside will be a nightmare. I already have 2, 2 gallon pots. Been thinking about just doing 1 gallon batches in the kitchen until I can afford an electric setup to put in my 5g system.

I already have 3 batches worth of grain here, mixed and crushed, in large vacuum sealed bags. How can I brew these in 1 gallon batches and combine in fermenter?

I was thinkin to start it all in my 7.5g fermenter. 1g at a time and each couple days brew up another 1g batch and add to the fermenter.

__________________
Antler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #2313
paul_111
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St Charles, Illinois
Posts: 67
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
Fill in the blanks on this http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html
And racking in this case is siphoning from your fermenter to bottling bucket.
How necessary is it to rack to a bucket? Why not just fill the bottles directly from the fermenter? I was going to use a mini autosiphon and spring-tip bottle filler. Any reason not to go this route?
__________________
paul_111 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #2314
jwalk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 410
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Would you wait until you had 5, 1-gallon batches in the fermenter before you pitched your yeast?

If so, I foresee a problem if any bacteria should find its way into the fermenter. The sugars may be (in part), already consumed by bacteria by the time you finally pitch your yeast, and thus, you'll have competing cultures. Also, you'd risk oxidation.

If you pitch your yeast after 1 1-gallon brew, then just continually add wort, I would be concerned about the under pitching your yeast.

You would have to re-pitch yeast everytime you add more wort, but with the reproduction of yeast cells in the wort already, you would have to account for the number of daughter cells to gain an accurate amount of how much yeast you'd have to pitch every time.


Honestly though, I have no experience in this matter. These are just my .02 on possible outcomes. I would love to hear a Mod's opinion.

__________________

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

jwalk4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #2315
jwalk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 410
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_111 View Post
How necessary is it to rack to a bucket? Why not just fill the bottles directly from the fermenter? I was going to use a mini autosiphon and spring-tip bottle filler. Any reason not to go this route?
The only reason to not go that route is because you'd have to find a way of mixing in the priming sugar solution without stirring the yeast back into suspension and get a lot of trub in your beer. That why we have bottling buckets.

You can bottle from primary if you use tabs, but you'll have to put up with the over carb issue.
__________________

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

jwalk4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #2316
paul_111
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St Charles, Illinois
Posts: 67
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
The only reason to not go that route is because you'd have to find a way of mixing in the priming sugar solution without stirring the yeast back into suspension and get a lot of trub in your beer. That why we have bottling buckets.

You can bottle from primary if you use tabs, but you'll have to put up with the over carb issue.
That makes sense. Thanks!
__________________
paul_111 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #2317
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 710
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4
Would you wait until you had 5, 1-gallon batches in the fermenter before you pitched your yeast?

If so, I foresee a problem if any bacteria should find its way into the fermenter. The sugars may be (in part), already consumed by bacteria by the time you finally pitch your yeast, and thus, you'll have competing cultures. Also, you'd risk oxidation.

If you pitch your yeast after 1 1-gallon brew, then just continually add wort, I would be concerned about the under pitching your yeast.

You would have to re-pitch yeast everytime you add more wort, but with the reproduction of yeast cells in the wort already, you would have to account for the number of daughter cells to gain an accurate amount of how much yeast you'd have to pitch every time.

Honestly though, I have no experience in this matter. These are just my .02 on possible outcomes. I would love to hear a Mod's opinion.
No I'd pitch the yeast With the first gallon.

I thought the yeast would grow with every addition of wort, sort of like stepping up a starter 5x.
__________________
Antler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #2318
Ostomo517
Registered User
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,587
Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
Would you wait until you had 5, 1-gallon batches in the fermenter before you pitched your yeast?

If so, I foresee a problem if any bacteria should find its way into the fermenter. The sugars may be (in part), already consumed by bacteria by the time you finally pitch your yeast, and thus, you'll have competing cultures. Also, you'd risk oxidation.

If you pitch your yeast after 1 1-gallon brew, then just continually add wort, I would be concerned about the under pitching your yeast.

You would have to re-pitch yeast everytime you add more wort, but with the reproduction of yeast cells in the wort already, you would have to account for the number of daughter cells to gain an accurate amount of how much yeast you'd have to pitch every time.

Honestly though, I have no experience in this matter. These are just my .02 on possible outcomes. I would love to hear a Mod's opinion.
I agree you would be riaking oxidation big time plus exposing to chance of infection every addition.
__________________
Ostomo517 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #2319
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,218
Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

I'm not sure there'd be much of an oxidation risk---wouldn't the yeast kick back into their aerobic metabolism mode and remove the oxygen like they do with the intentionally oxygenated wort at the start of a standard process?

__________________
zeg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #2320
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,716
Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
I'm not sure there'd be much of an oxidation risk---wouldn't the yeast kick back into their aerobic metabolism mode and remove the oxygen like they do with the intentionally oxygenated wort at the start of a standard process?
Hmm, this seems likely. If it was my project I'd probably just keep the batches separate if I had the fermentors for it. That way you could make variations with each batch.

If not, then I'd try and shorten the total time to full liquid volume. IE: Do 2-3 batches a day for 2 days. That should mean that all of the oxygen has been introduced in the batch before the yeast has actually changed metabolic modes. As opposed to waiting 2 days between additions, which would give you a total introduction time of 8 days.

Each batch would still have it's own chance of infection, so a pitch rate on the high side would also probably be a good idea. That would limit the impact of the introduction of wild yeast into the brew.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.
Leadgolem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallon markings for 7 gallon plastic primary fermenter scone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 03-15-2014 07:16 PM
York, Harrisburg and Lancaster Pennsylvania Brewers Unite ENS Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 06-24-2013 11:28 PM
Is 1 gallon of head space in a 5 gallon carboy secondary OK or not OK? msa8967 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 09-08-2011 01:53 AM
Justed Racked my first brew and appear to be low 1/2-1 gallon in 5 gallon carboy. Brandow Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-15-2011 05:23 PM
5 gallon batch + 5 gallon primary fermenter = good noisy123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-30-2008 11:45 AM