Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #2241
sgman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd133mhz View Post
I have been brewing partial extract kits 5 gallons,and I want to make a 1 gallon batch but have no idea how to either cut ingredients from a 5 gallon kit,which I wouldn't really wanna do anyways. I was thinking cutting a mr beer kit between two 1 gallon fermenters,

any ideas on that?

any ideas on making 1 gallon batches?

Thanks
A 1 gallon batch is 20% of a 5 gallon batch, so multiply all ingredients by .20.
I do 3 gallon batches and multiply everything by .60.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #2242
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
I wouldn't do a straight test boil-off with wort, there's no need. Before my first brew, I did a test with water to get an idea, and it's been accurate enough. If you want to be sure you know how wort will behave, just measure your volumes with a batch, don't bother with a separate "test."

Keep in mind that your boil-off rate will depend on many factors, including boil vigor, gravity, amount of hops and other junk around, air temperature, etc. These will make precision measurement fairly useless. I haven't done any calculations, but I think you'd be lucky to be consistently within a pint of the actual boil off unless you do similar recipes under similar conditions every time.
Alright, recognizing that there are so many factors, it does make sense to establish some kind of general baseline with just water. So, to at least I should use a liquid volume that approximates what a boil would start with. Any idea what might be (so called) typical when a boil starts with the mash drainings and an additional gallon of sparging water?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #2243
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Not a test boil!! Making beer!! Lol
Goodness No, divrguy, would not want to waste wort.

I like the idea of doing a test boil to get some starting values. But I will start paying more attention to the outcomes from future brews to get some real life idea.

One of the great things about the BBS recipes is that you really don't have to know all this stuff (including OG/FG, etc.); however, the methods work well enough that a tenderfoot like me can listen and learn, take notes, read, and play some more, and eventually get a clue or two along the way.

Sucks to be us, don't it.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #2244
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny

Alright, recognizing that there are so many factors, it does make sense to establish some kind of general baseline with just water. So, to at least I should use a liquid volume that approximates what a boil would start with. Any idea what might be (so called) typical when a boil starts with the mash drainings and an additional gallon of sparging water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny

Goodness No, divrguy, would not want to waste wort.

I like the idea of doing a test boil to get some starting values. But I will start paying more attention to the outcomes from future brews to get some real life idea.

One of the great things about the BBS recipes is that you really don't have to know all this stuff (including OG/FG, etc.); however, the methods work well enough that a tenderfoot like me can listen and learn, take notes, read, and play some more, and eventually get a clue or two along the way.

Sucks to be us, don't it.
You guys are over thinking it. Make beer.... Guess on your volumes but take copious notes and get exact volumes. When done, your OG may be off because it was first time but you will have beer. The second time forward will be much better.

I would never waste wort for god sakes that's sacrilege lol

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

kingogames Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #2245
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgman

A 1 gallon batch is 20% of a 5 gallon batch, so multiply all ingredients by .20.
I do 3 gallon batches and multiply everything by .60.
This can be a lot easier if you convert everything to grams first.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #2246
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hail ye veterans of the thread!,,, have you guys ever tried Santiam hops? I don't know why it has taken me so long to try these? I opened up a smash today with this hop and it is just excellent! This hop is made for royalty! Well rounded... A little noble...earthy and fruity! What a great ale this makes all by itself! Truly delicious!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #2247
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Hail ye veterans of the thread!,,, have you guys ever tried Santiam hops? I don't know why it has taken me so long to try these? I opened up a smash today with this hop and it is just excellent! This hop is made for royalty! Well rounded... A little noble...earthy and fruity! What a great ale this makes all by itself! Truly delicious!
What malt did u use?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #2248
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny View Post
So, to at least I should use a liquid volume that approximates what a boil would start with. Any idea what might be (so called) typical when a boil starts with the mash drainings and an additional gallon of sparging water?
When I did a test boil (water only, before brewing anything), I started with 2 gallons. In this case, I was more curious to find out how rapidly my stove could heat up and how fast it would cool afterwards to get a handle on how long brewing was going to take. So it wasn't exactly a "boil an hour and measure" test. In particular, I heated it up slowly, but I'd expect most of the volume loss to come from the rapid boil part.

I boiled for half an hour and lost 7 cups, or a bit less than half a gallon. I generally figure on about 3/4 gallon per hour, though I rarely worry about it much since I mostly do partial boils and I can make up for errors in topping up.

And, divrguy, I generally agree not to overcomplicate things, but I found doing a water-only test boil to be helpful. Going in to a first brew, just having worked with a big pot of boiling liquid boosted my comfort level a bit.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #2249
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Almost two weeks since I've touched anything at home so tonight was long over due. Bottled my gluten free brown, racked my honey iipa to secondary with dry hops, and added finnings to my cyser. Brewing tomorrow and Sunday now too. Catching up for all the stuff I missed.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #2250
BikerBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Hi all, found this thread and have been lurking here for a couple weeks. I've been brewing for a while doing mostly 3 gal. batches but like the idea of one gallon batches as I enjoy drinking a big variety of beers. Got 2 going now , a Smithwick's clone from a recipe I've used before and a NB Irish Red kit. Going to brew a NB Whitehouse Honey tomorrow, I like how quick these get up to boil and cool quickly too. I think I'm going to really like this because of all the different brews I'll have to sample and am looking to try a few BIAB recipes.

Quick Reply