New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Forget 5 Gallons, We do 15 and are moving to 20. We have too many friends. If we did one gallon, we would not be as popular.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I brew one gallon because I only have room for one. I can do up to 2.5 gallons. But the nice thing about one gallon is the cost, 8 dollars for a barleywine that would have cost 40+ for a five gallon. Plus clean up and equipment cost are pretty low. I want to move up to five or even ten gallon just don't got the room or the money. Still love this forum and all the advice here works for any size.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love 1 gallon batches. Built a 12 qt cooler MT for them and use my old Mr. Beer kegs for fermenters. Works great. Makes about 11 bottles of test batches.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

I do tons of one gallon batches and a few 2-3 gallon batches. I have a lot of recipes that need the kinks worked out of them so there's no point in having more than 10 mediocre beers sitting around. When I have a good recipe or clone to brew I normally do 3 or 5 gallons and let it add to my reserve. Honestly if I brewed five gallon batches all the time there would be too much beer in the house and I would either have to stop brewing for a long time or drink the same handful of beers for a year or so. I like variety but I don't hang out with enough beer geeks to give away that much beer.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbolmer View Post
EDIT: If enough people are doing this, how about a mini-batch forum category here?
We've discussed it, and there's really no need. You don't do anything specifically different in brewing smaller batches, except using fractionally less ingredients. There's no special processes or special issues that require a special forum section. All grain one gallon brews are still all grain brews, extract w/grain small batch brews are still extract brews, biab are still ag brews, etc.

There's nothing inherently special or different about them that would warrant a subsection.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
nbolmer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
We've discussed it, and there's really no need. You don't do anything specifically different in brewing smaller batches, except using fractionally less ingredients. There's no special processes or special issues that require a special forum section. All grain one gallon brews are still all grain brews, extract w/grain small batch brews are still extract brews, biab are still ag brews, etc.

There's nothing inherently special or different about them that would warrant a subsection.
My suggestions were more along the lines of bringing together a sub-community of people with a common interest; properly scaled recipes, smaller equipment, etc... just an idea.

//Noah A. Bolmer // www.barleynhops.com//
//Barley and Hops Tavern // Occidental, CA//
//Warped Brewing Company // 10bbl // Sebastopol, CA//

Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
2stupid
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

but only making one gallon at a time would leave soooo much empty room in my carboy.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
Wig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have considered dropping down batch volume. I don't drink that much so 5 gallons lasts me a long long time. Even when I give it away. The only drawback I see is the increased frequency of brewing.

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
amd133mhz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well this post inspired me to roll up to my lhbs and find that lo and behold they sell a few ingredient kits meant for 2 gallon brews! I was excited because ever since i started I really wanted to do a mr beer but with grains. simply because of the size. they would become my personal batches! beer I share with myself and perhaps a close friend vs the 5 gallon yield that is dealt out around the office until it is gone. I love sharing my brew esp since my first one was such a hit. my second is coming along nicely. but now my third will be a 2 gallon IPA.

It isnt 1 gallon but the next best thing. my LHBS designed these to be used as a "advanced" kit for the mr beer brewers whom they supply. I have brewed 5 gallon kits 2x now and loved it but Yea today drive up to leeners and bought a IPA 2 gallon kit for 20$,cant beat the price ,mr beer no grains 15$ soo ya kno,

Kit included
2 lbs dry golden light malt extract
2 oz willamette hoppes 5%acid
a bag of carb drops
6 grams mutton ale yeast
grain bags
4oz caravienne malted barley crushed on the spot and bagged.

Was thinking of gifting this to a friend who mr beers.or making it one myself in a make shift 2-1gallon fermenters.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

I don't make one gallon batches, because I drink my fair share! I drink 10 beers in 2.5 days, so I would have to brew more often to keep my hunger satisfied. I do make an occassional 2.5 gallon batch, but mostly I make 5 gallon batches. I give some away too, so I'm considering getting more fermentors so I can start making 10 gallon batches.

Quick Reply