Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #181
bobeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've been brewing with a close friend for a little under a year now. We usually do 5 gallon batches and split them but this past weekend he was out of town. We hadn't brewed since April and I was itchin' to brew. We always borrow a pot from his restaurant to do the 5 gallon batches so I couldn't get it. I went over to my Aunt's place and saw she had a 3 gallon pot that she never uses. I borrowed it from her and did a 2.5 gallon batch of some pumpkin honey porter. I am amazed at how much easier it is to do 2.5 gallon batches. I was able to do everything I needed to in my house, on my stove, and ice bathed in the sink. Getting the boil was quick on my halogen stove and clean up was a breeze. I can still use all my current equipment and the ingredients are obviously half the price. As stated on here previously I also dig the fact I can have a wide selection of brews to choose from once I get my pipeline going again. I'm half tempted to brew 1 2.5 gallon batch when my friend isn't around and do 2 2.5 batches when he is around. If something comes out really well we can always brew it up with a 5 gallon batch.
I was intending on doing a 1 gallon batch this past weekend but decided to do a 2.5 gallon brew instead. I'm still thinking about doing something really special in a 1 gallon batch though. Maybe a barely wine that I age for a year. The sky is the limit! All I know is I'm really into this small batch idea atm!

Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: VTipa, Stocious Stout, Pumpkin your Pie ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #182
gwdraper4
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
They look like really cool kits but why can't anyone release some lager kits? AHS, Brooklyn, or you guys don't make a single one. I'd love to try a lager kit for once instead of building one for myself.
The only reason we have not done any lagers is most people would not have a dedicated mini fridge to maintain proper lagering temperatures. Standard fridge temperatures are a little too cold (at around 40 deg F) to maintain healthy fermentation. That being said, it has become apparent that there are several folks that have been requesting lagers, so we intend to release some within the next several months and see how they sell. Let us know your favorite styles or something you would like to see. Cheers!

Life is too short to drink crappy beer@
Kegged: Super Hoppy Red Ale, IPA
Bottle: Barleywine, Belgian Chocolate Red
Fermenting: India Brown, Pale Ale

Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #183
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwdraper4

The only reason we have not done any lagers is most people would not have a dedicated mini fridge to maintain proper lagering temperatures. Standard fridge temperatures are a little too cold (at around 40 deg F) to maintain healthy fermentation. That being said, it has become apparent that there are several folks that have been requesting lagers, so we intend to release some within the next several months and see how they sell. Let us know your favorite styles or something you would like to see. Cheers!
Sounds awesome! I would be a buyer. People could always just use a cooler, I can maintain 51 F easy with frozen water bottles. I think a Lite American, cheap to produce on your end, would be popular, and quick to lager. I'd personally love to see a Bohemian pilsner. Buy a lot of w-34/70 and split the packets in half for each gallon kit, IMO.

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #184
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBunny
This is the closest I've seen to a 1-gal keg.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/175-G...KEG-P3049.aspx
There are the 5l (1.3g) party-star systems, but it's hardly the same as a corny.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #185
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How do you guys measure out your hops for a one gallon batch? Divide the hops amount by 5 when scaling down a 5 gallon recipe? Can you find scales that measure that small?

I'm super curious since I'm thinking of doing some gallon brews myself.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #186
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
How do you guys measure out your hops for a one gallon batch? Divide the hops amount by 5 when scaling down a 5 gallon recipe? Can you find scales that measure that small?

Dividing by 5 will get you close enough. My scale measures a tenth of a gram and was pretty cheap - $11 shipped if I remember right.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #187
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Do you use beersmith? I use that to figure out hop weights by changing the AA of the hop I am using in beersmith to match the pack I have on hand. Then I look at what IBU I want at a certain boil time and adjust the amount till I get the right IBU for that addition. Also changed my hop weight units to grams in beersmith. I mainly use pellets so I can readily use my reloading scale. I convert grams to grains (measurement unit for weighing smokeless propellant) and press on with business. I am sure some folks have made recipes by just cutting the hop additions in fifths but what if your current batch of hops has a different AA than last time you purchased the same hop? Won't be the same if you just cut the amount in fifths. But like mentioned above it could be close enough...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #188
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah, you need a gram scale to measure hops for most 1 gallon recipes. And you'll find that you keep a lot of extra hops in the freezer.

The scale need not be expensive. Ironically the problem is finding a 1/10th gram scale that doesn't look like drug paraphernalia. I spent $25 getting one that looks like lab equipment. Just because.

I recommend learning about hop substitutions and aau/ibu math. Also using brewing software - brewtarget will do all the math for you, just plug in the 5 gallon recipe and ask it to scale it for you.

It'll also do the hop math, but what you need to look out for is most recipes tell you how much of some hop at a given AAU, but they don't tell you how many IBUs they are adding with that addition. If you plug the hops into brewtarget and add the AAU from the recipe it will tell you how many IBUs are being added at each step, and you can then figure out how much hops to use based on the IBU target rather than an arbitrary quantity and time.

Oh, and you can use any hop as a 60 minute bittering hop. the flavor and aroma boils off anyway.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #189
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 3354

Quote:

gram scales off ebay or amazon
its always good to be precise

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #190
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ale-93543.html

this is the scale I use. we have a store nearby so was easy to get. is close in accuracy. if you check the reviews it is +/- 0.1gm so a variance of .2gm

Quick Reply