Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #1881
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Has anyone ever used Munich in an American pale/brown ale? I have a pound laying around that I need to use

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1882
mikegee
Recipes 

Doing my first 1 gal experimental batch this week. Used the recipe converter on beersmith to make it smaller. I've only ever used yeast smack packs and the converter tells me to use Two grams of dry yeast. Two questions. Does that sound like enough? And do I just drop the dry yeast in or should I hydrate it first?

Cheers!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #1883
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq
Has anyone ever used Munich in an American pale/brown ale? I have a pound laying around that I need to use
Sure, Munich with fuggles, Willamette, Saaz the list goes on. Munich is very malty so just keep that in mind.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #1884
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
Everytime...LOVE Munich. In my last two brews (Pale Ale, IPA) I did 20% Munich in each. I'm a big hop head so having a stronger malt helps to create some balance. Adds a nice orange color to it as well
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1885
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegee View Post
Doing my first 1 gal experimental batch this week. Used the recipe converter on beersmith to make it smaller. I've only ever used yeast smack packs and the converter tells me to use Two grams of dry yeast. Two questions. Does that sound like enough? And do I just drop the dry yeast in or should I hydrate it first?

Cheers!
Hydrating yeast is a personal thing. Some guys say its a must, some guys report better results, others will say it doesn't matter either way. Personally, I don't hydrate and get good results.

Yes, 2 grams sounds about right for any beer that's 1.060 OG and under for a 1 Gallon batch.

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #1886
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

How do you other 1-gallon folks deal with liquid yeast? I'd like to expand my one-gallon horizons beyond what I can do with dry yeast.

Specifically, I'm wondering about Wyeast smackpacks. Do you pitch the whole thing? Do you save some? If so, how?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #1887
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBrewer View Post
How do you other 1-gallon folks deal with liquid yeast? I'd like to expand my one-gallon horizons beyond what I can do with dry yeast.

Specifically, I'm wondering about Wyeast smackpacks. Do you pitch the whole thing? Do you save some? If so, how?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
I haven't used wyeast since I started doing small batches, but the first thought that came to mind was to have a small mason jar with some starter wort in it and pitch what you need and put the rest in the jar and place the jar in the fridge until you need it again. Just make sure everything is sanitized very well.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

BorealBrewer Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #1888
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Since there was some interest, I tasted the fermented maple syrup today. It doesn't taste bad, but I didn't get a hint of maple from it. It is possible that this is because it is very young and the strong alcohol flavor is overwhelming it.

I'm going to age some to be sure, but my first impression was watered vodka. Disappointing.

A simultaneous batch I was running was cranberry wine. Just ocean spray cranberry juice with some sugar to up the gravity. Nicely smooth, and a nice cranberry flavor. Pleasantly surprised this time. I expected this to go horribly sour with the sugar fermented out. If anything, the impression of the sour cranberry flavor has mellow a great deal.

It's still to young really, but I put a couple bottle away to age. It should be fantastic in a few months.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #1889
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem

A simultaneous batch I was running was cranberry wine. Just ocean spray cranberry juice with some sugar to up the gravity. Nicely smooth, and a nice cranberry flavor. Pleasantly surprised this time. I expected this to go horribly sour with the sugar fermented out.
Dude... That sounds like hooch! Lol

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #1890
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Dude... That sounds like hooch! Lol
Meh, it finished at 10.4% abv. I've made way stronger stuff.

Quick Reply