The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #1501
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 43

@Battlegoat: How long has it been fermenting? Why would you think it wasn't done?

Cheers,

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #1502
BigRock947

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
I just brewed yesterday a "German" IPA using unfortunately domestic Munich Malt and imported German Magnum and Perle hops and K-97 German Ale yeast.

I have two recipes listed under my Avatar that have proven to be very good and brewed a number of times each.
I bottled your Kona Chocolate Coffee Stout yesterday...the sample tested amazing. My wife really noticed the chocolate...I noticed the coffee more. We both thought it was very good. Can't wait until its done carbing...

Cheers,

Mark

C-Rider Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #1503
rawkstar320
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I made a significant error in schedule a Christmas beer gift. I started a brown ale for my dad on Dec 2nd, and it's still fermenting! In planning on bottling it on Friday and just telling him to wait a few weeks...

But the lesson here is that beer takes time, so plan ahead! Way ahead!

Check out my small batch brewing blog:
jakesbeerlog.WordPress.com

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #1504
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@BigRock947: On the 19th it will be three weeks in the primary. I think it's probably done - there's been virtually no activity, either in the airlock or visually within the beer itself for quite awhile now. However, I know that's not a surefire indicator of whether it's done or not, which is why I want to make sure before I bottle. I'm also really curious to see where my final gravity ended up.

If the general concensus is "it's good to go" I suppose I'll just take a reading to ascertain where my FG is at, then bottle it up.

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #1505
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I always ferment at least 3 weeks then take one reading at the end. If it is close to the calculated FG, I am good to go.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #1506
BigRock947

Recipes 

I'm guessing its done....myself. I wait 4 or 5 weeks before I bottle. 1. To make sure its done. 2. To let the yeast finish its job. 3. Lets the beer clear. 4. My schedule seems to work out that way.

Ps: Last month, I bottled a barley wine...long story short. The OG was like 1.100 and when I transfered to secondary it was 1.016 after only 10 days.

So my point is. Your probably good to go. Get your bottling stuff together and take a FG on bottling day. Good luck and RDWHAHB.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1507
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just scored 4 2 gal buckets w/ lids from the local bakery. One is being turned into bottling bucket. Debating what to brew in them first.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal),
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk
Up coming beers: Sati, Koyt or schipluyden.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #1508
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat View Post
Been away from the thread for awhile, but I just have a quick question for y'all. It's just about bottling time for my first brew (the stout I posted about a few weeks back) and I'd like to take the usual three hydrometer readings before actually bottling, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I ended up with a tad less than a gallon in the fermentor, so I'm really, really not looking forward to pulling and subsequently discarding three full sample vials of beer for these tests. How many of y'all pull samples at testing time and then return 'em to the rest of the beer when you're done? I'd like to think that I'm one of the more diligent ones when it comes to sanitation, but if it's really a bad idea I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with less finished product this time around.
don't discard the samples you take for your hydrometer readings, or there won't be any beer left to drink.

here's what i do.

1. I have measured EXACTLY how much beer it takes to fill the hydrometer flask, so I know how much i lose every time i sample.

2. I wait a little longer for fermentation than absolutely necessary (like 15 days instead of 14, or 22 days instead of 21), before i take my first reading.

3. sanitize the heck out of the hydrometer tube, hydrometer, and turkey baster.

4. take my sample, record the result, and put the sample back in. record the results.

almost always, when i wait a little longer i'm at my target FG when i take that sample.

5. wait one (or two, or three) more days, and just plan on bottling it. I take another reading to be sure it's stable (also using an uber-sanitized flask, hydrometer, and baster)

i use a cup of water when i mix my priming sugar, and my hydrometer flask takes half a cup, so i figure that if i take 2 readings and dump them out i break even, if I take two readings and put them back i'm a little ahead.

and, don't get freaked out by dumping the samples back in. just sanitize the heck out of it.

for what it's worth, i've been making a "study" on how to squeeze every drop out of a one gallon batch, and this is the best approach i've come up with.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #1509
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat View Post
@BigRock947: On the 19th it will be three weeks in the primary. I think it's probably done - there's been virtually no activity, either in the airlock or visually within the beer itself for quite awhile now. However, I know that's not a surefire indicator of whether it's done or not, which is why I want to make sure before I bottle. I'm also really curious to see where my final gravity ended up.

If the general concensus is "it's good to go" I suppose I'll just take a reading to ascertain where my FG is at, then bottle it up.

you said it's your first home brew, which means you are about ready to eat the carboy because you want to get your beer into bottles, right?

and the 19th is 3 weeks, and today is the 17th.

and, since it's your first beer you have a little bit of the nervous first daddy thing going, right?

well, it's probably not recommended, but if it were me i would sanitize the crap out of my gear, test it today, put the beer back in the fermenter, and test it again on Wednesday to be sure.

if you hit your FG today, you should be absolutely good to go on Wednesday.

you will probably be good to go, on Wednesday, if you don't mess with it, too, but we all understand what it's like waiting for that first brew.

'Tis himself

Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #1510
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

hey battlegoat... since you are bottling later in the week, here's something for you to be aware of.

you need to do a little math on how many FULL bottles you want (or expect) to get, and plan accordingly.

somehow try to estimate how much beer you currently have in your carboy. then add one cup to that amount (for the priming solution).

if you fermented in a carboy, you will probably have a little less than 3 quarts left, after you get it off the yeast and trub.

divide by the size of the bottles, and what is your yield, in bottles?

3 qts is 96 oz, and assuming you use 12 oz bottles, that is an 8 bottle yield.

if you have total volume of less than 96 oz, then you have a 7 bottle yield.

if you have total volume of 108 oz, then you get 9 bottles.

don't do partial bottles or fractions. the fractions are for the hydrometer (or for the brewer).

so, you probably have about half a cup of beer to waste anyway.

so, don't freak out over the half cup for a hydrometer reading

'Tis himself

Quick Reply