The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #1491
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider
Question! Are you guys using extract kits, partial mash, or doing all grain? I do 1.75 gallon batches so I'm pretty much in the same game as you guys, but I do AG and make up my own recipients.
Mostly all grain.. But because its cheaper and easier for me to make all my different brews. If a kit goes on sale that I like at Morebeer and its an extract recipe or partial mash, i get it. their extract is super fresh and I can save a little time on it.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #1492
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing
Yeah... In Chicago we have to deal with stuff you like don't see much of in NorCal.

I grew up in the Bay Area, and moved to Chicago in February many years ago.

Oh boy, what a surprise.
I know what you mean ... Grew up in Boston and moved here after I got discharged. I don't miss the snow. Other than high rent, I like being near ocean and snow within 2-3 hours.... And LHBS within 45 minutes

Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #1493
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Question! Are you guys using extract kits, partial mash, or doing all grain? I do 1.75 gallon batches so I'm pretty much in the same game as you guys, but I do AG and make up my own recipients.
i have the gear for AG, and have done that, but i mostly do extract with grain.

a little bit of partial mash if i feel like doing something squirrelly, or making something i can't easily do with simple extract with steeping grains.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #1494
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I had a pound and a quarter of grain left and wanted to ferment something, so I made a kind of English mild/bitter. Toasted some malt and mashed high so I could add some sugar and not be left with a thin body. Decided to add a half ounce of Horizon and two thirds of an oz. of EKG with thirty seconds left in boil to make a hoppy but not bitter beer. Hydrometer is broken so no SG but gotta guess its 1.025-1.030, 5L batch. It was a nice rainy day and was listening to bluegrass, so named it Bluegrass Mild.

You guys should try making different session beers, fun to experiment in one gallon batches

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #1495
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I just brewed yesterday a "German" IPA using unfortunately domestic Munich Malt and imported German Magnum and Perle hops and K-97 German Ale yeast.

I have two recipes listed under my Avatar that have proven to be very good and brewed a number of times each.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Conditioning Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #1496
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bottled up the first bourbon dubbel. I threw in a tad of simcoe and Citra during the last few minutes and wow I like the taste of this so far. It is very different and packs a punch. Got 9 bottles.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #1497
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Been away from the thread for awhile, but I just have a quick question for y'all. It's just about bottling time for my first brew (the stout I posted about a few weeks back) and I'd like to take the usual three hydrometer readings before actually bottling, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I ended up with a tad less than a gallon in the fermentor, so I'm really, really not looking forward to pulling and subsequently discarding three full sample vials of beer for these tests. How many of y'all pull samples at testing time and then return 'em to the rest of the beer when you're done? I'd like to think that I'm one of the more diligent ones when it comes to sanitation, but if it's really a bad idea I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with less finished product this time around.

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #1498
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I can't speak for everyone on here but taking a hydrometer reading...let alone three, is really going to eat up your batch. You could try to carefully return it to the batch to bottle or bottle one beer with the sample but I just do a refractometer and use the online calculators to adjust...if at all.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #1499
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@Calichussets: That's my point. I want to make sure it's done fermenting, but all I have is a hydrometer to test with. I will be looking into getting a refractometer, but right now it's not in the budget until after the holidays. What I'm wondering is the best way to go about it from here on out. I'd like to get at least one sample, just so I can see where my gravity ended up. This is my first batch, and there were issues at the start with my efficiency, so going without a reading at all seems a bit unwise.

So given that all I have is a hydrometer, what would you suggest my best plan of action to be?

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #1500
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I used to take that many hydrometer readings and returned the sample back to the fermenter. I never thought it was a big deal until seeing information from home brew websites. With that in mind, I never really had any issues with returning the sample.

Now, I really don't bother taking that many readings...I take a reading in the brew kettle and the next one, the day I plan to bottle. I usually wait 5 weeks before bottling...just my way.

EDIT: Oops you asked another question before I was done typing.

Cheers,

Mark

C-Rider Likes This 

Quick Reply