Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1341
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder View Post
I think next time I'm going to go with a bigger bag as I believe that may have been part of the problem. My grain grinder is set to a setting that has been working well for me to this point, so I don't think the grind was the problem. As far as squeezing the grains, I just let the bag sit in a colander until it stopped dripping, I didn't want undersirable tannins. It was my first small smatch and obviously needs a bit of tweaking to get the same efficiency as my 5 gallon AG batches.
Tannins was a concern of mine as well until I did some reading here on HBT. So I did a search and I've been following the advice here on HBT...mash pH and high temps will cause tannins.

I've done BIAB going on my second year and so good so far. If you're not convinced than yeah just use a little more base grain and you're good to go.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #1342
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder
I just finished brewing a belgian blonde. Pretty much got my target amount of wort (6.5 litres) but my target O.G. was just 1.066 instead of 1.072 according to Beersmith. I had the grains in a muslin bag suspended by a large SS colander in the kettle. I "sparged" the wort between two 14litre pots pouring the wort over the suspended grain bag 5 times before bringing it all to a boil. I guess the bag system isn't as efficient as a mash tun so I'll just build myself a mini mash tun as my 48qt tun is too big for these small batches.
You say you are using the wort to sparge? Im not sure but i think the sugars would probably stick to the grains wouldn't it if you sparge with wort?

Also, you don't get tannins from grain if you are doing a full volume BIAB correctly. I think you have a few items that are causing you to lose efficiency that are very easy to fix.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #1343
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Going to try streaming my brew day in the morning again. I have more to do this time so I won't be just standing there talking to myself. Also won't be playing music through the phone I'm using as a camera so the sound should be better. So if anyone is bored around 9am CST check it out. I'll post the link here tomorrow when I start.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #1344
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Yeah I used wort to sparge. It was more for the purpose of hopefully filtering some of the trub out by running it through the grainbed. I bought a large nylon bag (5 gal) for straining paint and will line my colander (my SS colander is 10.75x10.75") with that so the grains will be looser. I also bought 3 2 gallon fermenter buckets from midwest supplies for 4.99 each (came out to 27.00 with shipping for the order) so I'll be brewing alot more of these badboys.
Still a work in process.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #1345
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

I'm going to start filtering through a fine nylon bag when it goes into primary. Got a bit of a soapy taste in my last one and it could be from the protiens in the trub breaking down or it could be from fermentation temps. I'll check what filtering does and then decide if I need to ferment cooler or not. I'm thinking its the trub though because I haven't had any others come out soapy.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #1346
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder
Yeah I used wort to sparge. It was more for the purpose of hopefully filtering some of the trub out by running it through the grainbed. I bought a large nylon bag (5 gal) for straining paint and will line my colander (my SS colander is 10.75x10.75") with that so the grains will be looser. I also bought 3 2 gallon fermenter buckets from midwest supplies for 4.99 each (came out to 27.00 with shipping for the order) so I'll be brewing alot more of these badboys.
Still a work in process.
I think you're mixing up a few processes. Usually if you are say batch sparging, you will use some strike water to sparge with into a mash tun. You don't lift a bag, the grain is in the tun and the bed of husks will create a filter so moving it around suspended in a bag really won't work.

Now, if your doing a BIAB, then you don't sparge ( if you have full volume) you bring the water up to mashout temp, lift and the you squeeze the bag. If you partially BIAB with a sparge, you still sparge with water.. not wort. You should read a few more stickies on BIAB and batch sparge so you decipher the two.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #1347
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder View Post
Still a work in process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
I think you're mixing up a few processes. Usually if you are say batch sparging, you will use some strike water to sparge with into a mash tun. You don't lift a bag, the grain is in the tun and the bed of husks will create a filter so moving it around suspended in a bag really won't work.

Now, if your doing a BIAB, then you don't sparge ( if you have full volume) you bring the water up to mashout temp, lift and the you squeeze the bag. If you partially BIAB with a sparge, you still sparge with water.. not wort. You should read a few more stickies on BIAB and batch sparge so you decipher the two.
Hophoarder is trying to 'filter' out some of the flour and loose grain that comes with BIAB by doing a hybrid BIAB...

Give it a try, can't hurt and if you like the results

Until I started doing 1-gallon batches, I would have to do a batch sparge with BIAB because I didn't have a pot big enough for a full volume BIAB which according to the definition of BIAB wasn't a 'true' BIAB. Whew that's was a mouthful...

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by BigRock947; 12-05-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: corrected my thoughts

Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #1348
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Just started streaming again. Doing a Scottish 60/- today along with racking a mead and bottling a cider. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/one-gallon-brewing Check it out if you are bored.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #1349
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tried to view from my cell phone but it says your offline

Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1350
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
Tried to view from my cell phone but it says your offline
I was off for about 2 minutes to reconnect to my wifi, back now. Everyone tries right after I go offline for some reason.

Quick Reply