Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #121
smalltimebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbolmer View Post
EDIT: If enough people are doing this, how about a mini-batch forum category here?
+1

I agree. I've been doing one gallon batches for a few reasons. For one, my wimpy electric stove won't boil more than about 1.5 gal of water. And obviously space comes into play. I plan to move to a 3 gal fermenter soon, but until I can afford to build a mash tun and get a propane burner, my little "mini-batches" suffice to take my mind off the work week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #122
Petho
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I go 5 gallon All Grain batches and have recently moved to 3 gallon AG batches so that I can try new recipies and because I have some 3 gallon kegs.
Smaller batches are fun to brew and much easier to accomplish on all fronts and cheaper too. I don't consume beer that fast so smaller batches are just fine. I think it deserves a forum topic onto itself.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #123
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've recently been looking at switching to 1-2 gallon batches. I LOVE the act of brewing beer, but am not a huge drinker. I probably put down the equivalent of a 12-pack a week.

It reached a point for me where I had a dozen cases stacked up in my dining room, cabinets full of beer, a four-carboy pipeline nearly always full. My production was far exceeding my consumption, even with my handful of beer-appreciating friends that drop by for their house-imposed two-drink maximum (if driving) from time to time.

I also like the idea of being able to be a bit more creative and less concerned over brewing a large amount of beer that I don't care much for.

Since I've started a mini yeast-bank and moved on to AG, always with starters, small batches become much more feasible than they were when the prospect of dropping $7 on a vial per-batch was an issue.

I do still plan on keeping my "house brews" on tap, but am looking forward to starting with the smaller batches.

I wish I'd started brewing when I was young enough to keep up with my consumption

Old 06-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #124
smalltimebrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonkey View Post
Since I've started a mini yeast-bank and moved on to AG, always with starters, small batches become much more feasible than they were when the prospect of dropping $7 on a vial per-batch was an issue.
I've been doing the BIAB thing from Brooklyn Brew Shop until now. I just got the grains for my first "by recipe" brew which I'll cook up tomorrow. The point you just made about the expense of the yeast is one that hadn't hit me until now, so I suppose I'll have to learn to make a starter. I've been avoiding that step until now, but it would certainly be more cost effective when making the smaller batches.

On that note, could anybody point this noob towards a good (simple) how-to on starters?

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #125
NadoHawk
Recipes 

Though I don't brew with a one-gallon (I chose to buy a Mr beer kit for half off), I am a proponent of the one gallon batch mainly because I just am not good at drinking the same beer for too long and love to try other varieties.

I was going to say I would have gone with a cheaper rig with a one-gallon mash kit (aka just picking up pieces here and there), but I believe that might have come to more than what I spent....but still much better than a full kit.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #126
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltimebrewer View Post
I've been doing the BIAB thing from Brooklyn Brew Shop until now. I just got the grains for my first "by recipe" brew which I'll cook up tomorrow. The point you just made about the expense of the yeast is one that hadn't hit me until now, so I suppose I'll have to learn to make a starter. I've been avoiding that step until now, but it would certainly be more cost effective when making the smaller batches.

On that note, could anybody point this noob towards a good (simple) how-to on starters?
There must be a good how-to thread but i don't see it. then again, it's late.

Basically, starters are where you increase the amount of yeast you have by feeding yeast on thin wort, potentially with active aeration via a stir plate, for a few days before brewing. potentially cold crashing when it's fermented out so that you can decant off the spent wort and add more for a step up.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #127
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am kinda doing the best of both worlds. I will brew a 3-5 gallon batch of a base recipe then add different herbs or fruit into3-5 one gallon fermenters and see what comes out.

Just brewed a basic american wheat added blueberries, apricots, figs, mangoes and old bay seasoning in 5different one gallon fermenters. We will see.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #128
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I bottled 3 (1) gallon batches (wheat, smoked, and apa) and racked a forth gallon batch of black IPA that I may treat in a manner that I believe is perfectly legal and call it Black Eye'd Jack. Now I have four empty carboys. I guess I'll throw a batch together tonight with the grains I have left over from other batches. The beauty of 1 gallon batches is that it doesn't take too many left over grains to make a batch.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #129
ninkasi2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

i've just started to do 1 gallon beers! I love it. I was curious, i received a 5 gallon beer kit as a gift. I'd like to use them. I'm wondering is it just a matter of dividing all the ingredients in 1/5...not sure if it works that way? Also the yeast included is dried yeast - can i open the pack and use a bit of it and keep it? Will this interfer with the yeast? It will be unused until my carboy is empty - probably 2 weeks.

thanks in advance!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #130
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It won't come out exactly the same, but it will be very similar. You can keep an open packet of dry yeast in a zip-lock in the freezer.

Quick Reply