*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #1221
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

OK, I've read a few pages of this and don't want to read over 100 pages to see if the info is here or not.
What do you guys use for 1 gallon batch fermenters?
You would need to have at least five quarts of space so that you have some headspace if you don't want to loose a pint or so to blowoff.

I've never brewed less than 5 gallons and would like to step it up to 10 gallons, but for experimenting it could be nice to do a small batch.
I've even got a few one gallon jug coolers that I've thought would be a good tun for quite a few one gallon recipe versions.

I've also thought about doing a five gallon batch, splitting it into five one gallon batches and change up the yeast, hops or whatever. Maybe do a second mash and add another grain to one of them to see what it does to the flavor. You get the idea.

Five one gallon jugs doesn't seem like a great way to go due to the waste from the blowoff that I mentioned.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #1222
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm using two gallon buckets with drilled lids from my LHBS.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #1223
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm using one-gallon glass apple juice jugs and airlocks/blow-off tubes.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #1224
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did the same as mtate, just bit the bullet and bought the 2 gallon fermenter. I brew 1.25-1.5 gallon batches, giving me closer to a 12 pack than a gallon would. Label peelers sells them for around 7 bucks with a lid. Some other places sell them as a 1 gallon fruit wine kit.
I bought two, and wish i had bought 5-6 maybe even more. They make primary for small batches of mead and wine super easy.I just use a standard 1 gallon jug thats sold for bottling wine as a secondary.
If picking them up at a lhbs, avoid everything but the ROPAK buckets, They are better quality than the northern brewer or a few other smaller fermenters. They have a metal bail [let a plastic one break on your an lose a batch of beer, youll see why thats important], and a thicker sidewall than other brands. The lids seal great too, pretty airtight.

If cash is tight I have fermented several batches in nothing but a cleaned and sanitized milk jug.. pretty redneck but it works. Or you can try an score free ones from a bakery, I havent had much luck with these tough, they seem to fall apart in 6 mos or so for me

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #1225
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
I thin you have Safeway and Fred Meyer up there. They have bakeries and get icing in 2-3 gallon buckets that have good lids with o ring seals. Wash very well to get rid of the grease, drill a hole for a stopper that has a hole for an airlock.. and you are good to go.
Now that is a good idea! There are no big chain stores where I live, but I do get out from time to time.
Actually I work 30 miles north of here and they have a safeway there. Not sure if it's big enough to use that much frosting, but my sister works in a school cafeteria in a bigger town so maybe they get something like that in there? Something food grade and re sealable. Anything 1 1/2 gallon to 2 1/2 gallons would be great. Three gallons or so and I could do 2 1/2 gallons at a time without too much headspace.

Good ideas. I don't want to use any one gallon containers because I wouldn't do more than three quarts so that I didn't waste anything through blowoff.
I use eight gallon buckets for my five gallon batches! I don't like to waste good beer.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #1226
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat View Post
Just to the one-gallon mark. I had roughly 1/2 gallon or so left in the kettle which ended up down the drain for lack of a way to contain it.
There two good solutions to this, either ferment the rest in another container [1/2 gallon milk jugs work in a pinch]. Or if it an all grain brew throw a couple of shots of scotch in it and have a few hot scotchies.

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #1227
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@huntingohio: That would have been great at the time, but like I said, it's down the drain now. And hopefully in the future I won't have nearly that much leftover in the kettle after loading up my fermenter.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #1228
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 651

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Just got my first ever Citra hops and holy hell they smell good. Only problem is I only bought 4 oz. How much should I use in a gallon SMaSH to end up with good hop forward beer?
I would say you are using about .25 ounces if you are late hopping (20, 15, 10, 5). I would throw in another .50 at flameout (I LOVE hoppy beers) Then dry hop with 1.5 ounces. This is a pretty standard setup for my hoppy brews. They are quite potent.

As for the blowoff discussion. TEMP CONTROL! I can fill my 1 gallon carboy to about 1.1 (above the one gallon etching) and the krausen never blows off. Maybe with Notty, but if you keep the temp around 60 even then you should be good. I fill my lagers practically to the brim.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1229
rawkstar320
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Cracked open a Belgian blonde and a chocolate maple porter (based on BBS recipe) and I think I've finally crossed that line that defines "Meh" first homebrews and "yum" homebrews. Exciting.

Check out my small batch brewing blog:
jakesbeerlog.WordPress.com

mamajack Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #1230
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Wow! I go to bed a little early last night and a flurry of activity happens while I'm sleeping...seems that's the story of my life.

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply