Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #101
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
What do you guys use for a fermenter when brewing 2.5 or 1 gallon batches?

Wouldn't a full carboy or bucket be too much head space and lead to "off flavors"?
I use 1 gallon glass jugs currently. When I eventually step up to 2.5 gallon batches i'll use a Mr Beer fermenter or a 3g carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #102
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 644

There's a lot of talk about time here, including multiple posts alleging a small batch takes less time. My question to that is: How?

Don't you still have to do a 60 minute mash and a 60 minute boil?

Also, not to be argumentative, but this thread has had a dual effect on me: A) It's making me consider trying to do a small batch BIAB for fun, and I love the idea of SMaSH recipes this way. B) It has a distinctive vibe like all 5G brewers are somehow snobbish toward 1G brewers. I have never noticed that on the boards.

I get it if it actually saves time, but if you enjoy brewing, and the OP seems to have an attitude similar to mine, which is somewhat of a zen/calming thing, then why would that even be a factor?

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #103
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am very interested in the 1g batches but am still confused about the yeast. Most recipes I've found call for liquid yeast making the small batches expensive having to buy a $7 pack of yeast. How can I translate to similar flavored dry yeasts? I've looked at the online calculators but am still a newbie so it is a bit confusing.

Anyone have any real good 1g batches I can try at first? Nice pale ale or kolsch or summer beer?

I haven't washed/reused any yeast yet but have 3 batches in primary that I am considering doing.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #104
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
There's a lot of talk about time here, including multiple posts alleging a small batch takes less time. My question to that is: How?

Don't you still have to do a 60 minute mash and a 60 minute boil?

Also, not to be argumentative, but this thread has had a dual effect on me: A) It's making me consider trying to do a small batch BIAB for fun, and I love the idea of SMaSH recipes this way. B) It has a distinctive vibe like all 5G brewers are somehow snobbish toward 1G brewers. I have never noticed that on the boards.

I get it if it actually saves time, but if you enjoy brewing, and the OP seems to have an attitude similar to mine, which is somewhat of a zen/calming thing, then why would that even be a factor?
You are correct, you still need the same 60 minute mash and boil. However, the time it takes to heat your mash and sparge water is shorter since it's a lower quantity, the time it takes to heat the wort to boil is shorter, the time it takes to cool it is shorter. All of this adds up to a decent time savings.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #105
D-AB
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I'm a little in between. Although I only have 3 brews under my belt I have stepped it up a gallon each time. Mostly because, like you said, I don't have the room or equipment to go for a 5g and you only get 10 - 12 bottles out of it. Being someone who enjoys to share and have other try the brew, I then only get about half of that again. So I went to 2g and now at 3g which is still small enough given the space yet big enough that I can share it around and enjoy a good few bottles myself!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #106
D-AB
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

And yes I also enjoy that small batches seem to force you to brew more often and gives you the chance to try a lager variety of recipes!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #107
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 239

i've only done one "1 gallon" batch, and it was actually just below 0.9 gallons - need to leave some headpsace for krausen in that 1-gallon jug.

i've recently purchased a 3-gal carboy, so i can make 2.5 gallon half-batches. my amarillo/optic smash is currently fermenting in it. i like the idea of not having to commit to a full batch. if my half-batch experiments work out, i'll make a full batch. otherwise, i'm out only half as much ingredients.

there is some time savings in making smaller batches but it's not a huge savings, and it's certainly not linear. for me it takes 5 hours to make a 5 gallon batch, my 1 gallon batch was close to 4 hours. so if effeciency was a concern, it makes more sense to make bigger batches for only a slightly larger investment of time.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #108
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
You are correct, you still need the same 60 minute mash and boil. However, the time it takes to heat your mash and sparge water is shorter since it's a lower quantity, the time it takes to heat the wort to boil is shorter, the time it takes to cool it is shorter. All of this adds up to a decent time savings.
Ah ha! That makes total sense. Thanks.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #109
kc1123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post
I am very interested in the 1g batches but am still confused about the yeast. Most recipes I've found call for liquid yeast making the small batches expensive having to buy a $7 pack of yeast. How can I translate to similar flavored dry yeasts? I've looked at the online calculators but am still a newbie so it is a bit confusing.

Anyone have any real good 1g batches I can try at first? Nice pale ale or kolsch or summer beer?

I haven't washed/reused any yeast yet but have 3 batches in primary that I am considering doing.
2 grams of dry yeast! Then I save my pack in a baggie in the fridge.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #110
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1123 View Post
2 grams of dry yeast! Then I save my pack in a baggie in the fridge.
Have you had luck reusing your dried yeast after 7 days?

Quick Reply