Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #91
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedBrewer View Post
I started with BBS, and that's basically where most of my current process comes from, though I don't use their kits any more.

But all this raises another question that's been flitting around in my head. If I were to just do a full-volume mash in one pot, then dump the contents of the mash pot through a strainer or colander into the boil kettle and let it drain for a few minutes, is that really any different from BIAB?

Another way to put the question, I guess, is what purpose does the bag serve in the BIAB method, other than giving you a convenient way to separate the grains from the sweet wort?

Thanks!
BIAB lets you use a single pot for the whole process, and you don't lose as much heat when you pull the bag out as you do when you pour from one pot to the next.

Also the grain bag (which is frequently a nylon paint strainer bag that costs just a few dollars) catches more sediment than the strainer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #92
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I pull the bag from the pot to my steamer pan so it drains into that,so i still use a few pots with BIAG.Actually 3 with sparging water steeping.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #93
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

I've completed 18 batches of 1-gallon brews since January 12th. I started using the BBS kits (the English Brown Ale and then the Everyday IPA) and followed their instructions. I've since converted to 1-gallon BIAB and have hit 70% efficiency consistently. My process is simple. I use a 3 gallon stainless steel stock pot with a built in strainer for pasta. I line the pot and strainer with a paint strainer bag from Home Depot. The built in strainer makes it so the bag doesn't sit on the bottom of the pot and burn. I calculate the amout of water I need, erring on the side of an additional 1/2 quart or so. I add my grains and stir until I reach my mash temp (I use an online calculator to determine strike water/etc.). Once mash temp is reached (usually about a minute of stirring), I cover, wrap in towels, and put in a pre-warmed (and then turned off), oven for 60 min. After 60 min, I put the pot back on the stovetop and stir as I bring the temp and grains up to 170. Once 170 is hit, I cut the heat, cover again, and let it sit on the stovetop for 10 minutes to "mash out." After the 10 minutes are up, I pull out the pasta strainer and bag. I squeeze the ever lovin be-jesus out of the bag as I crank the heat on the kettle, achieving my boil.

I'm right on the mark, give or take a few cups or so, with my amount of wort each and every time. I haven't "topped off" with water since about batch number 4 or 5. Sometimes I have a little too much left over, but its usually gunky and hot break material anyway.

I've got this system down and I'm loving it. Prep time is about 15 min. I clean up while I mash and boil. And my final clean up is about 15 min.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA
People Like This 
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #94
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed a 1g Vienna/Centennial SMaSH yesterday using the BIAB technique with a 12qt stock pot and 5g paint strainer. It was much easier than my first patch. It still took around 3 hours but I only needed one pot which made everything easier.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #95
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbolmer View Post
EDIT: If enough people are doing this, how about a mini-batch forum category here?
This would be a great idea.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #96
TheGingerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can anyone point me to a thread where recipes about 1 gallon brews are discussed? I feel that to experiment with large quantities is risky and potentially wasteful but am also not sure about recipes. If I intent to make a 5th of a regular batch do I just use a 5th of the ingredients?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #97
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerBrewer View Post
Can anyone point me to a thread where recipes about 1 gallon brews are discussed? I feel that to experiment with large quantities is risky and potentially wasteful but am also not sure about recipes. If I intent to make a 5th of a regular batch do I just use a 5th of the ingredients?
Basically...hops don't always scale the best, especially when going down 20% but its that simple. In my personal experience, always go a little lower with crystal and honey malts as well. They tend to be a little overpowering (unless thats what you are after) with 1 gallon batches. Even 5% can really begin to be an in your face aroma and flavor but everyones palette is different

I am brewing up my Pilgrim Abbey Pomona Ale this weekend...I should probably get around to posting the recipe. Its a damn tasty IPA with orange, grapefruit and tangerine

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #98
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a 5 gallon brewer and kind of a agree with the why waste the time, but I do believe in "to each their own".

My point I want make is that, if you're going to make batches that small, why not do BIAB? It seems to me that you would waste extract otherwise, I doubt they make enough for only 1 gallon. And it would probably taste better too.

Just my $0.02

Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #99
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
I am a 5 gallon brewer and kind of a agree with the why waste the time, but I do believe in "to each their own".

My point I want make is that, if you're going to make batches that small, why not do BIAB? It seems to me that you would waste extract otherwise, I doubt they make enough for only 1 gallon. And it would probably taste better too.

Just my $0.02
I don't think we are talking about extract...I am certainly not. Its not always about time or quantity either. I can go up to 5 gallon, and might, probably 3 gallons, but I like the experimentation and for some, its about equipment, space, and financial constraints. And like many in the post have pointed out...we actually like 1 gallon

Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #100
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What do you guys use for a fermenter when brewing 2.5 or 1 gallon batches?

Wouldn't a full carboy or bucket be too much head space and lead to "off flavors"?

Quick Reply