Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 Gallon Beer Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
kc1123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I measure in grams. I got used to it from making soap. Gotta be precise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
Wow, that's really precise (grams). I go as far down as .1 ounce (one tenth ounces), which is about 3 grams.
It's the easiest way to take a 5 gallon recipe and scale it to 1 gallon and vice versa. Sometimes you have small touches for color or balance at five gallons which becomes very tiny at 1 gallon. Most digital scales measure ounces and grams so all you need is a quick converter online.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
It's the easiest way to take a 5 gallon recipe and scale it to 1 gallon and vice versa. Sometimes you have small touches for color or balance at five gallons which becomes very tiny at 1 gallon. Most digital scales measure ounces and grams so all you need is a quick converter online.
I'm sure you are right. But literally you are arguing about less than a 1 gram of difference since 0.1 oz = 2.8 grams. That is because 2 grams is rounded to 3 (0.1 oz) , and 1 gram is rounded to 0 (0.0 oz).

Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
oddcarout
Recipes 

I am brewing 1 gallon at a time. I see that recipies have batch sizes of 6 gallons, do I divide by 5 or 6 for one gallon brewing?

Thank you,
Zachariah

Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 AM   #15
ohiobeer29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 28

helpful thread here

Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
Opiate42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Think it's time this got bumped!

I posted this over in the 1 Gallon Unite! Thread but it may have a better home here. Literally not having any idea what I was doing I'd say they turned out quite well.

Quote:
So this was my first recipe, I have no reason or logic to it other than ..... "Hey why not?"

1 gallon batch
3 quarts mash (1 hour @ 152-158, stove top is inconsistent but I manage )
4 quarts sparge @ 170
75 minute boil

Batch one:
1.5 lbs Maris Otter
0.25 lbs Munich Dark
0.25 lbs Crystal 45
0.125 lbs Crystal 150
0.03125 lbs Chocolate malt
0.25 lbs CaraRye
0.1 lbs Rye Flakes

7g Columbus @ 75
7g Columbus @ 45
7g Columbus @30
7g Amarillo @ 15
7g Amarillo @ 5
7g Zythos @ 0

Yeast: Nottingham (re-hydrated for 15-20 minutes prior to pitching)

Batch Two:
Exact same malt bill but with a much smaller hop list (wanted to compare them side by side):
4g Columbus @ 75
4g Amarillo @ 40
2g Zythos @ 5

Batch one: was hoping for a bittersweet malty bastard with some nice rye overtones out of this and mostly succeeded, was not as sweet as I'd hoped but was damn drinkable none the less. Definitely not for people who aren't hop-heads with 42 grams of hops per gallon. Aromatic and bitter the way I like, heavy mouth feel, went down nice. Was afraid that this one was going to be so over the top as to be undrinkable but was happily surprised and was my favourite of the two.

Batch two: This is the one I was hoping for a smoother less sweet taste out of but wasn't quite my cup of tea though my friends and partner enjoyed it quite a bit. Found it too bitter and not flavourful enough, though did get nicer as it warmed and as the pint went down. Had higher hopes but hey.... still wasn't bad.

Carbing: I bottled both with 2tbsp honey and a 1/4 of water, same honey bottle both times. Batch one was perfect, not bombs, nice head.

But batch two foamed over and blew fountains when taking the caps off. Typically lost half a bottle to overflowing foam before I could salvage any of it. Curious how the smaller hop bill somehow aided over-carbing. I don't understand sugars for bottling well enough yet

Also, my closet (literally) for fermenting is usually at an ambient of 70-75F, higher than I'd like but in our tiny apartment there isn't space for a temp-controlled fermentation chamber of any kind. It serves it's purpose of keeping the carboys in the dark and the cats away from knocking them over but that's as much as I can do until we move to a bigger place.

MỘT HAI BA…(wait for it) DZÔ!!!

Quick Reply