Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 Gallon Beer Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
kc1123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1 Gallon Beer Recipes

Since there seem to be people who enjoy brewing small batches, I was wondering if anyone would like to post their tried and true 1 gallon recipes. I started with kits and have moved on to recipes from a book, but I hope to start making my own recipes soon. I would love for people to post their own recipes that taste great when brewed on a smaller scale.

Edit: I just did a search and found this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/1-ga...ecipes-302578/
I know recipes can be scaled and I know about the Brooklyn Brew Shop book. Now I want recipes!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Well, any recipe can be a 1 gallon recipe, so you can use any recipe you would like. Just divide a 5 gallon batch in half for a 2.5 gallon recipe, or in fourths for a 1.25 gallon recipe. It really is that easy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 742

I'd say to go a little stronger on hops or more dryhopping, and to lighten up on grains like caramalt, honey malt, etc. In my experience they don't quite scale as easily as said. Hops tend to be lighter in flavor, aroma and certain grains tend to quickly take over a beer when used in 4 ozs or more. Just my 2 cents

Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I convert recipes to 3 gallons. My advice is be careful with the hops. When you are dealing with .25 ounces, etc, you should follow it as closely as possible because twice as much hops will show up strong. Don't round up, because there's no curve to bitterness or aroma. And if you are going to cut the recipe by 1/5, try to stay as extra close as possible, else your beer will be too bitter or not bitter enough. I imagine you'll have to cut .2 or .1 ounces--so get a good digital kitchen scale. One of my beers is out of balance just from having accidentally added one ounce of hops on a 3 gallon batch--even if I had only added .5 ounces, it would not have tasted right. I know this because I made the same beer twice. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll be posting all my 1 gallon recipes on my blog so keep a look out for new posts. I'm currently trying to develop a few 1 gallon extract recipes with steeped grains that i'll step up to 2.5 gallon batches in the future.

The Brewing Jug

Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
iambeer
Recipes 

By the way, a good thing to create for yourself is a spreadsheet converter. This gives you freedom to use any recipe. I have made one in a Google Docs spreadsheet so that I can daydream from any computer.

Basically you have one cell for the original amount of gallons, one cell from the new amount of gallons. This allows you to convert from 5, 5.5, 10 gallon batches to anything.

The main trick is to convert pounds and fractions of pounds to ounces before coverting the ingredients to the new amount. The second trick is to round. I like to round up at the tenth decimal point of an ounce.

It has worked well for me. All my recipes have been converted from bigger batches and they turn out. Again, the only worry is that the smaller you get, the more precise you need to be.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
By the way, a good thing to create for yourself is a spreadsheet converter. This gives you freedom to use any recipe. I have made one in a Google Docs spreadsheet so that I can daydream from any computer.

Basically you have one cell for the original amount of gallons, one cell from the new amount of gallons. This allows you to convert from 5, 5.5, 10 gallon batches to anything.

The main trick is to convert pounds and fractions of pounds to ounces before coverting the ingredients to the new amount. The second trick is to round. I like to round up at the tenth decimal point of an ounce.

It has worked well for me. All my recipes have been converted from bigger batches and they turn out. Again, the only worry is that the smaller you get, the more precise you need to be.
Can you share this spreadsheet or make it public?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
iambeer
Recipes 

It's really barebones. I've exported it to xls and uploaded to mediafire. You can import it back into Google Docs. It's not pretty but it works. Just, double check it before you trust the numbers, and don't blame me for anything There's a witbier left in the spreadsheet called Blanche Oreiller I converted from a BYO recipe. You can use it as a guide to understand what numbers get plugged into what. Also be careful with deleting formulas (undo will come in handy).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqrlvt...e_Oreiller.xls

Edit: Also, the added % is just to add a tiny amount to help with OG. I just leave at 2%, it is meant to change some of the base grains by 2% extra and it should not change some of the lower numbers. You can just change it to 0 to keep it simple.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I've never noticed a difference between my one and five gallon recipes. When you're working at one gallon with hops and specialty grains, depending on how precise your scale is it can be challenging to accurately get 0.07oz of a grain. It's usually easier to convert to grams and measure by grams, especially if you have a digital scale that does both.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
iambeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I've never noticed a difference between my one and five gallon recipes. When you're working at one gallon with hops and specialty grains, depending on how precise your scale is it can be challenging to accurately get 0.07oz of a grain. It's usually easier to convert to grams and measure by grams, especially if you have a digital scale that does both.
Wow, that's really precise (grams). I go as far down as .1 ounce (one tenth ounces), which is about 3 grams.

Quick Reply