Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 Gallon Batch Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Karl434
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1 Gallon Batch Secondary

So I have 1 Gallon of the Chinook IPA fermenting right now, and will be brewing the Dead Ringer IPA 1 gallon kit afterwards. My question is that with the 5 gallon batch, it is recommended to transfer it to secondary for 2-4 weeks.

I plan to leave the Chinook (the same with the Dead Ringer once I brew it) in the primary for 2 weeks, and was thinking about transferring to a secondary for a week before bottling. What is the consensus with this? I figure it couldn't hurt, but the instructions say to allow around 2 weeks for primary and then bottle the batch. I hear the secondary is usually to help the clarity of the brew. I searched and tried a google search as well, but couldn't find anything regarding this.

edit: Forgot to add that it is an extract kit and the temps have been averaging between 68-70 degrees

"Water? Never touch the stuff! Fish f@$# in it"
-W.C. Fields

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Leave it in primary. That's what I do, but everyone is different. I've done the Dead Ringer twice now (three if you count the first brew being a one gallon batch), and I've done three weeks in primary, then transfer to keg and let it sit on the gas for another two weeks. Bottling is no different, except maybe let it condition for a 3rd week.

"There is no right way to brew. The journey to finding out what works best for you is 99% of the hobby. Ethanol is the other 1%" - Bobby M

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply