The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1 gallon all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
jizba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default 1 gallon all grain

I used to extract brew fairly often. after moving around a few times i ended up selling all of my equipment. I would like to get back into brewing hopefully all grain this time. I don't know if i can afford a good 5+ gallon system and was looking for reviews or tips about the 1 gallon all grain kits that are being sold now. Due to space and $ restriction the 1 gallon system seems like a fun option and an easy way to get a few small batches going at a time. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

We have an entire active and excellent thread on that very topic. 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! and there's actually a very good book on that subject, which is mentioned in that thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Just skim through some of the crap in the beginning of that thread, it took a bit for the anti 1 gallon brigade to get bored with picking on that threa, and for the actual brewers to participate....but there's a lot of great info in there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Calichusetts Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I haven't used any 1gal specific kit(s), but I am doing more and more 2gal brews. I say go for it. Make beer!

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

1 gallon all grain is all I am doing now.
I picked up a 2 gallon rubbermaid beverage cooler at Home Depot for $10, I use that as a mash tun, along with my own BIAB method, basically I strain my mash through a nylon bag covered colander, return the grains back to my cooler and batch sparge, then strain through the bag after that is done. I have been hitting low 70% efficiency with store milled grains. I hope to improve that with the barley crusher I have sitting under my christmas tree
PS: 2 gallon fermentation buckets and 1 gallon glass jugs are really cheap as well.
PPS: 1 gallon kits are around $10 to $15 plus shipping, I buy the ingredients at my local home brew store and my batches run about $5 each, that includes harvesting and reusing yeast.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

Its about as easy as making tea,except longer.Boiling,cooling,aerating. Pitching yeast. You get the idea. It couldnt be simpler than getting a grain boiling bag. I dont think it could get easier than a grain bag a pot and a kitchen stove and doing a small batch as far as just learning all grain brewing, I think its the best and easiest way to start all grain.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

A few of the major online homebrew shops are now selling 1 gallon recipes. Brooklyn Brew Shop seems to be the only store that focuses on 1 gallon. They get pretty decent reviews. I started with a kit from them and no extra equipment (had stock pots at my house, a strainer...collected flip top bottles)

The 1 gallon thread has a few recipes but you can scale any recipe you seem interested in on this site easily. Good luck

Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

though 5 gal batches are my norm, i love making gal test batches. they take less oversight than an outdoor kettle and they cost almost nothing with washed yeast and several grams broken off pound orders of hops.

i made in a stainless pot, which i stick in the oven set to ~150. this ensures a fairly constant temperature for the whole mash. i then strain using a large stainless chinois. all of this is stuff i already owned for cooking...

Quick Reply