Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > What's your favorite Brown Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #21
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

DFH Indian Brown?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #22
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another Vote for Janet's. Brewed a few months back and it was very popular.

Also like a WA State local brown from the Rivertown Alehouse called Rivertown Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
DFH Indian Brown?
This has been on my list to try for some time but I never see it when I'm out looking at beers to buy.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 AM   #23
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
DFH Indian Brown?
I was going to say this. I think he was looking for recipes though. But this is likely my favorite commercial brown ale. It's kind of cheating, and not sure its really a true brown, but oh well...

Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
New Glarus Fat Squirrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Yes! I remember picking up a 6er of Schnells or whatever, but the fat squirrel was a different brewer.

I wish we could get New Glarus here. I'll have to look for it the next time I get to the LHBS in GR. The beer store in BR is good, but not THAT good.

I bought an old 6er of some German Altbier. Well, it was OLD! It had swingtops, and one reason I wanted to get it was for the bottles, and also because I wanted to try a commercial Alt.

Well, it was flat, NO hops, and very watery. Basically like a watered down flat pepsi. I think it had been on the shelf since the 80s...

At this point, New Glarus beers are only distribuated in Wisconsin. I think that will be changing, since they built their new brewery, but at this point you won't find it in GR!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #25
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

I think someone needs to make a Smokey and the Bandit type run to Wisconsin and bring back some New Glarus beer!

Eastbound and Down loaded up and truckin
we gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm eastbound just watch old bandit run

Homer's Brew Log

Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

So I was a bit sick yesterday and was going to have someone over to brew with me and see how I do AG, but he decided he didn't want to get sick too!

Anyway, after a couple of hours the sun goes down and it starts getting cold and I start coughing again. Not the best way to get healthy. But I got that beer brewed! It's lookin good. I had to sub some hops, but I think it will be ok.

I also learned that my scale has a grams setting, but it's unusable. I basically had to guess for water adjustments, but I think I did ok. My water is already not too bad for darker beers.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #27
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm late to this thread but I've brewed both the Moose Drool and the Pullman Brown from the BN's CYBI show. Both came out really nice I thought, and I can see brewing either one of them again. Both of those recipes are more malt-focused than hop-focused, the Pullman Brown leaning towards a Brown Porter even.

Many people probably think Brown Ales are sort of dull, but they're one of my favorite "drink a few pints" brews. They just don't tire you out the way some beers do.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #28
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I agree. I've been away from them for a while, but I have always liked them.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #29
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Ok, I subbed some hops because I didn't have the Norther Brewer. Without my notes I think I used Centennial, and adjusted for IBUs. And then some Homegrown Cascade at flameout.

I pitched a double starter (due to having had to wait a couple of days, I just built it up some more) and set it down in the basement. I transferred to secondary last night and siphoned it on top of 2 more ounces of homegrown cascade. The reason I used 2 ounces is because the hops did not get dry as they should, and I figure they were twice as heavy.

At any rate, the beer tasted great and although a bit cloudy yet, there is time for it to clear. I forgot to use Irish Moss again, so I intend to cold crash it before kegging.

This is the first time I've used whole hops for dryhopping, and actually only my third dry hopping at all. The smell was fantastic! I'm so geeked about this beer. I haven't brewed a brown ale in a long time. Thanks for the suggestion! I know I modified it a bit, but I think it's going to turn out ok.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im late to the thread too but I love my brown ales.

Please do not ever mention Leinies Fireside Brown in a serious discussion of brown ales. I take my brown ales seriously and that Fireside Brown is an absolute abomination.

Moose Drool is great - recipes can be found all over the web, including the Brewing Network.

I have a Bells Best Brown on tap right now that is delicious. Recipe is in BYOs Clone 150.

Quick Reply