Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > What's your favorite Brown Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I think that's the one I'm going with.

I went out to eat last night and had a leiney fireside nut brown. Not a bad beer, but had virtually NO brown ale flavor IMO. Tasted more like an amber to me. Washed the food down nicely, but certainly not a beer to try to reproduce as a brown.

I have everything, just need to build the starter up again and pick a day when I can do it. Probably Wednesday. Tuesdays are my busy taking girls to dance day.
That Leine's beer is a lager. That's why it tastes so, well, not. Not like anything very flavorful.

I like the Janet's Brown Ale, but another thought I had was a Moose Drool clone. It was on "Can You Brew It?" recently, and they consider it cloned, if I remember correctly. Moose Drool is a really great example of American Brown, in my opinion, but it's definitely toward the malty side rather than hoppy. I think you'd also like my Fat Squirrel clone. It was a really good beer, well liked by everybody who tried it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That moose drool clone comes out awesome. Never had moose drool, but I can tell you the recipe is delicious.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1955 Times on 1414 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Dammit you guys! I already made up my mind! Arghh!!

LOL! I'm going to stick with the Janet this time. Tasty McDole's recipes HAVE to be good, by default. Just hearing his name makes me want to try one!

I would love to try a Moose Drool for real and have a comparison though.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
That Leine's beer is a lager. That's why it tastes so, well, not. Not like anything very flavorful.

I like the Janet's Brown Ale, but another thought I had was a Moose Drool clone. It was on "Can You Brew It?" recently, and they consider it cloned, if I remember correctly. Moose Drool is a really great example of American Brown, in my opinion, but it's definitely toward the malty side rather than hoppy. I think you'd also like my Fat Squirrel clone. It was a really good beer, well liked by everybody who tried it.
No wonder. I told my wife it was good, but NOT a brown in my opinion. I said it's missing a lot of the "brown flavor".

That's what I get for drinking a Leiney's. Some of their stuff is good, but a lot of it barely passes for beer IMO. The Berry Weisse was simply nasty...

Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

+1 on moose drool

I forgot how good the commercial version is until a friend brought some over.

I have a clone being tapped later this week Only 7 weeks old but I can't wait any longer.....

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post

Wait, isn't that Fat Squirrel a beer from Wisconsin, or Minnesota? I can't remember the name. I'm sure I picked up a mixer on the way back from moving my friend back to Michigan. Shoot... starts with an 'S'...

Schnell?? I'd have to look it up. If I remember, I think the Fat Squirrel was my favorite out of the whole batch!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

New Glarus Fat Squirrel.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6038 Times on 5281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I'm partial to Elk Drool (a Moose Drool spin off).

you can find it

<---------------------

Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 AM   #19
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Dammit you guys! I already made up my mind! Arghh!!

LOL! I'm going to stick with the Janet this time. Tasty McDole's recipes HAVE to be good, by default. Just hearing his name makes me want to try one!

I would love to try a Moose Drool for real and have a comparison though.
I am going to brew a mini-mash version of this recipe in a couple weeks. I'd love to hear how your brew turns out.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 11-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
New Glarus Fat Squirrel.
Yes! I remember picking up a 6er of Schnells or whatever, but the fat squirrel was a different brewer.

I wish we could get New Glarus here. I'll have to look for it the next time I get to the LHBS in GR. The beer store in BR is good, but not THAT good.

I bought an old 6er of some German Altbier. Well, it was OLD! It had swingtops, and one reason I wanted to get it was for the bottles, and also because I wanted to try a commercial Alt.

Well, it was flat, NO hops, and very watery. Basically like a watered down flat pepsi. I think it had been on the shelf since the 80s...

Quick Reply