The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Westvleteren 12 clone competition & swap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Default Westvleteren 12 clone competition & swap

For those new or just following start with this thread: Westvleteren 12 Group Brew & Swap

This swap & competition is for people who are participating in the project, or meet some criteria outlined at the bottom of the post.

Its about that time!
Hopefully if you brewed on time your beers should be in, or almost done with, the "lagering" or conditioning phase and you are getting ready to carbonate. I'm looking to start receiving bottles September 25th, that is a full 7 weeks from now, which should be plenty of time.

I will hold the tasting/competition with some other VERY experienced local brewers, and probably do some kind of live chat from the event. It's not going to be a full on competition, but we will critique the beer knowing who submitted it. The date of the judging may not be until the middle of October, but we'll see. The idea is to do an open discussion/judging of how the beer rates on its own (BJCP style), and also how it compares to the real deal.

I have two bottles of Westvleteren 12, and some of the guys I'll be tasting with will have an additional bottle or two we will use for comparison at the tasting.

One of my bottles of Westvleteren 12 I am going to give as a prize to the person who gets closest to the real thing, as agreed to by the judges.

Please state your intentions of participating in the judging and swapping. We will arrange the swap after the judging is done in case you have multiple entries and only want to swap the one you feel is the best.

I'll work up a paper form to rubber-band to your bottle(s) and a brewing notes sheet to fill out with your entry. The brewing notes will be important as most people are doing things a little different and on their own, and these differences might help us track down the best way to reproduce this amazing beer.

Depending upon how successful this event is, it could become an annual HBT regular non-official competition

What to Enter & How Much

I think two (12oz to 16oz) bottle entry per brewing attempt will be sufficient for this, if your beer isn't 9 weeks old per the fermentation schedule outlined by Brother Joris (1 week ferment, 8 weeks lagering, 2 weeks bottle carbonation) by Sept 25th, don't worry! I'd say if your beer is at least 6-7 weeks old and you can get it bottled and shipped to me by Sept 25th that will be a fine entry. Grolsch swingtops are fine (and might be ideal if you are doing a higher carbonation level).

If you did not participate in the group brew/swap thread but have a Belgian Quadrupel/12/Dark Strong Ale style beer that closely matches the Westvleteren 12 in the following categories you are welcome to enter.

1: Uses WLP530 yeast
2: Somewhat similar grainbill as the New World or Traditional recipes outlined in the previous thread
3: Followed as best as you could the fermentation schedule outlined by Brother Joris of Westvleteren, see previous thread for info.

Please post with what you are entering, I will update the first post with the list of entrants and what the entries are.

1: saq, New World, Traditional *ENTRY CONFIRMED* *BOTTLES RECEIVED*
2: Bokonon, New World, Traditional *ENTRY CONFIRMED* *BOTTLES RECEIVED*
3: KingBrianI, Traditional *ENTRY CONFIRMED* *BOTTLES RECEIVED*
4: Sigafoos, Traditional *ENTRY CONFIRMED* *BOTTLES RECEIVED*
5: juninious, Traditional *ENTRY CONFIRMED* *BOTTLES RECEIVED*
6: Freezeblade, Traditional *ENTRY CONFIRMED* *BOTTLES RECEIVED*

Last edited by saq; 11-07-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
saq
Recipes 

Summary results!

Westvleteren 12 scored 122 points and was 9th in flight.

BOS: saq - New World recipe with 128 points total, 5th in flight
2nd place - KingBrianI - Traditional recipe with 123 points total, 3rd in flight
3rd place - Juvinious - Traditional recipe with 115 points (picked as the best of the 115 pointers) 6th in flight
2 way tie for 4th place - FreezeBlade and saq traditional recipe with 115 points (4th in flight and 7th in flight respectively)
5th place - Bokonon (did not get recipes from him) 103 points first in flight
6th place - Bokonon (did not get recipes from him) 87.5 points (no carb could have scored higher) 8th in flight
7th place - Sigafoos traditional 76 points (totally flat would have scored higher) 2nd in flight

Last edited by saq; 11-08-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm in for submission to judging and for subsequent swap. Mine is the old world recipe. It will have been "lagering" for two months this coming weekend, at which point I'll bottle. So it should definitely be ready in time.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Traditional.

Using some Newfangled Math mine will have been in the fridge for 6 weeks on 9/8, so I'll toss 'em in then and be ready to go.

Are we doing a bottle to each person? I think we have 5-7 signed up so that'd still give me plenty to cellar.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 08-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 4 Posts

I'll be bottling by the end of the month. Should be ready by the 2-3 week of September around the time in which I can ship to get it out by the 25th.

I'm interested in the swap since I've never done one before and thought it would be an interesting experience. As well as the fact that I haven't tried a Westy 12 before.
I brewed the traditional recipe.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
saq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
I have a Traditional.

Using some Newfangled Math mine will have been in the fridge for 6 weeks on 9/8, so I'll toss 'em in then and be ready to go.

Are we doing a bottle to each person? I think we have 5-7 signed up so that'd still give me plenty to cellar.
After the judging is done we'll figure out a swap. Some people might not want to swap and some might.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would it be possible to do the swap with the interested parties at the same time? This way we can taste along with you. (I promise to open a bottle of mine before I send it out to make sure I don't give people swill)

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
Would it be possible to do the swap with the interested parties at the same time? This way we can taste along with you. (I promise to open a bottle of mine before I send it out to make sure I don't give people swill)
Depending on how many people are involved I'd be willing to send beers to everyone at the same time. Since I have 2 if not 3 beers I could pick which one I think is best or just send out a random sampling.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I'm in for a bottle of the traditional, I'll also probably send in some of the 8 clone I did with the second runnings.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm def still in!! I brewed up the traditional recipe using both home made and commercial candi syrup. I haven't really been on HBT much lately though as I just bought a house and have been doing an a$$ ton of work to it.

I'll be checking back a little more regularly now that my work schedule is a little more "normal".

Quick Reply